Husker Viewing Habits

Mavric

1 hour ago, NUance said:

I contribute to that trend.  I used to watch every game possible.  I did that right up into the  Callahan years.  Lately though, not so much.  :shrug:

Same. And we're not even going to all the games, either.

When you have reasonable expectations that not only will the team lose, but look really bad doing it, why would you watch?

I equate it to eating dinner. If I go to a restaurant and the food is bad five times in a row, why should I go back?

The last 20+ years has transformed the fans.  I used to live and breath Husker football, life revolved around it.  There were years where my wife and I would only miss 3-4 games total, including away games.  Right now, I can do a lot more with my Saturday afternoon.  Lack of winning has directly related to my lack of caring.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, 10_point_buck said:

The last 20+ years has transformed the fans.  I used to live and breath Husker football, life revolved around it.  There were years where my wife and I would only miss 3-4 games total, including away games.  Right now, I can do a lot more with my Saturday afternoon.  Lack of winning has directly related to my lack of caring.

At least there's a message board to complain about what you claim you're not watching.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Same. And we're not even going to all the games, either.

When you have reasonable expectations that not only will the team lose, but look really bad doing it, why would you watch?

I equate it to eating dinner. If I go to a restaurant and the food is bad five times in a row, why should I go back?

Hope? So, I hope....

4 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I use to make it to every Oklahoma Cornhusker Club watch party - this year I made it to 4 I believe.  This is why I wonder when the sell off streak ends - and it will end soon if Scott doesn't get this turned around. 

Yes- I used to try to work activities around the games. Now if something pops up most of the time I am like whatever I will check the score on my phone. 

I grew up with they Husker dynasty, but these days I watch Nebraska football more than I ever did.

Like every play of every game.

Why?

Because every game is now televised, and some genius invented the DVR that lets me watch whenever I want. 

Also, I'm a fan. That's what we do.

What is wrong with you people?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I grew up with they Husker dynasty, but these days I watch Nebraska football more than I ever did.

Like every play of every game.

Why?

Because every game is now televised, and some genius invented the DVR that lets me watch whenever I want. 

Also, I'm a fan. That's what we do.

What is wrong with you people?

This,  I pretty much watch every game. If I can't watch it live I DVR it.  i like college football in general.  If I can get away with it I will watch games casually all day on Saturday while I do things around the house.  I don't go hunting 10x a year or fishing with the guys.  So I think I have earned the right to watch some football. on Saturdays.  

I either watch or DVR all the games.  My guess is the largest drop off in viewers are non-Nebraska fans.  When we were good, we were interesting to the rest of college football.  If you are one of those people that watches games all day Saturday, you typically will pick the most interesting game on when your team isn't playing.  

• Plus1 2

A person’s time is valuable. Each person only has so much of it. Value judgments have to be made. Am I getting enough back for my investment of time and emotion in this thing?

Most fans of any team watch only because they want to see wins. Would you really watch a game if you knew AHEAD of time that the result would be a loss? Life has disappointments enough. Who needs to add more frustration?

Husker fans will be back viewing in huge numbers once the team shows a solid turnaround and good chances of success on the field.

Other reasons for somebody to watch or attend a game instead of insisting on a victory...

Hey, the uniforms are nice.
I just like sitting on a hard seat for hours with many thousands of noisy strangers.
It gets me out of the house.
I love halftime shows.
Somebody gave me tickets.
I smelled something good coming from the parking lot.
I got a huge new TV and have to watch something on it.
I like to critique the referees.
I’m sick of politics.
I like explaining the rules to people who don’t understand what is going on. Even when I have to make (stuff) up.
I have to be SOME place.
I’ve got an over-under bet on what hour and minute the game will end.
I saw everyone walking to that big building so I followed them.
I don’t care whether we win or lose. It’s just fun to watch either way.