Husker Viewing Habits

Mavric

I used to never miss watching a Husker game. And before they were televised I listened to every game religiously to the point of emergency driving 30 or 40 miles a few times to get a decent AM radio signal when I lived in Colo.

Now, I record all the games and end up watching about 1/2 of them all the way through. Between the mostly miserable seasons we've had for the last couple of decades and the fact that between the endless commercials with interminable official reviews/injury time-outs the games have lost a lot of interest to me. At least if I record them I can fast forward. And not living in the state makes it easier not to hear the outcome before watching the game. I never watch a game live anymore. NFL either. It's just too big of a waste of time.

And funny as it sounds, I really miss the days of listening to Lyle Bremser call the 2 1/2 hour long games. Plenty of action, way fewer & shorter commercials and the Huskers were consistently a top 10 team. Ahh, the good old days.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I have a job that requires me to work most Saturdays. I go in during the afternoon and work late.

I am able to watch an entire game that starts at 11 a.m. If it's a 2:30 game, I have to leave for work sometime between halftime and the end of third quarter. If it starts later, I DVR it. If Nebraska loses I won't watch it. If they win I do.

That was all prior to this season. Something snapped in my brain during the Colorado game. I basically went cold turkey and did not consume any Nebraska-related media until GameDay for the Ohio State game. I had that day off work and watched about a quarter of that game and then stopped.

Basically every game sense the Ohio State game I've watched with a capitalist attitude. If Nebraska is winning or keeps it close I'll watch. Once they fall down by about 17-21 points I change the channel or do something else. 

• Fire 1

I wonder how much app updates contribute to decline?  Maybe CFB viewership overall is in decline.  

I still watch every single game and attempt to attend one or two home games, which requires me to fly back home. However, when I'm watching on TV, it's no longer the weekend's main event and we don't make a big deal about it anymore (cooking, night before drinking and speculating, watching pump up video,etc). We just simply turn in on, sit still, and watch.  I don't even cuss that much anymore. 

Just to the right side of the screen is the Husker 2019 schedule and results, and glancing through it I see a game every Saturday where I wondered how Scott Frost and team would respond to challenge and adversity, hopeful that Adrian Martinez would return to form , and if not, wanting to be there if Vedral or McCaffrey made a push for the job. I wanted to see if Frost made adjustments or dug into his bag of tricks, if one of our running backs emerged as a true featured back, or maybe just enjoy a bit of Speilman and Wan'dale, who join 50 years worth of Nebraska players who deserve watching. I watched each week almost positive our defense couldn't continue to be that bad.  I didn't really want to watch a blowout by Ohio State, but I certainly didn't want to miss it if they surprised me, like they did just last season.

Most of all, I don't think I can come on a fanboard like this and be the righteous voice of wisdom unless I watch the actual games.

• Plus1 2

On 12/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, knapplc said:

Same. And we're not even going to all the games, either.

When you have reasonable expectations that not only will the team lose, but look really bad doing it, why would you watch?

I equate it to eating dinner. If I go to a restaurant and the food is bad five times in a row, why should I go back?

Yeah, but isn't that like saying you only enjoy the Huskers when they win?

The outcome of the game doesn't matter as much...it is hanging with friends, chatting, watching the game, joking around, having some drinks.

When I was a kid, only 2-3 games were on TV.  You didn't miss them.  You scheduled get togethers around them.  The rest of the season, you spent your Saturdays going about your normal business.  You just tried your best to be around a radio to listen to Lyle Bremser or one of his prodigies.  

Now, every game is on TV.  I still love watching them.  But, I've gone way too many years where every single weekend is spent in front of the TV watching the Huskers because....well....they are all on.  

I still watch the vast majority of them.  However, sometimes life gets in the way and if I'm going to either sit and watch the Huskers play South Alabama or go to a family function or hunting with my son....well....I can still listen on the radio just like the old times when people think we were more devoted.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't get me wrong. I won't miss one of my kid's events, a weekend getaway, or even a nice walk with the dog for a Nebraska game. 

But with DVR I don't have to. And I really look forward to watching every game. Even this year. 

I'm in California, so I don't have to worry so much about learning the outcome before I watch. Although I sometimes get texts from a Michigan friend who taunts me with spoilers.

Other great thing about West Coast Saturdays:  9 am games with coffee and breakfast, and the rest of the day wide open. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Don't get me wrong. I won't miss one of my kid's events, a weekend getaway, or even a nice walk with the dog for a Nebraska game. 

But with DVR I don't have to. And I really look forward to watching every game. Even this year. 

I'm in California, so I don't have to worry so much about learning the outcome before I watch. Although I sometimes get texts from a Michigan friend who taunts me with spoilers.

Other great thing about West Coast Saturdays:  9 am games with coffee and breakfast, and the rest of the day wide open. 

Definitely DVR every game no matter if I’m watching it or not. I like to go back and watch specific things. 

• Plus1 1

My New Years resolution will be to watch the first three games next season.  If it's the same weak stuff then I'll resolve not to watch the rest of the season and do something productive on football Saturdays.  I used to enjoy watching any competitive CFB game but without a team in contention for anything, even that is starting to lose its appeal.

If next year is as mediocre-bad as this year, viewership will really drop.  People only have so much patience.  I will be excited the first game of the year as always.  If we start losing games ill probably check out.  Maybe im just dissapointed in all the negative news with Hunt Legrone today, just been dissapointment after dissapointment this year.  What was the highlight?? Beating Illinois? Barely losing to Iowa?  Anyways im encouraged by the fact our team never quit, they played harder this year and with some passion.  

I missed many games this year.  Could have seen them all, but just really didn't have interest in them.  After driving from SoCal to the Ohio State game, I realized just how piss poor we are.

I have been a fan for over 60 years, used to decide my week by the outcome of the game.  Followed the Huskers closely until Pelini became the head coach.  Started to walk away and didn't watch the games.  Had hoped Riley was the right hire, but realized he wasn't.

Glad we got Frost and think he has a chance of turning this mess around, but I am honestly getting tired of his teary eyed press conferences, and excuses.  If you lose, you man up and say you did, you don't blame the guy before you, the kids not being good enough and how we need to recruit better.   If you have players that have not bought in, they don't fing play period.  It is your job to win, do the best you can at it and move on.

I never expect to see the mid 90's again.  The conference is so much tougher, we have lost our Texas connection for recruiting.  I just want us to be respectable.  We really haven't been for many years.

• Thanks 1