3/4 vs Base D

TGHusker

Do you prefer the 3/4 D over the Base 4 down lineman D  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In today's game I think running a quarters high match up zone is the way to go. The 4/3 gives you the luxury of going wide 9 and easily switching in nickel and dime personnel without having to mix up the responsibilities of the down lineman. I do like the quarters high look out of a 3/4 nickel pack squeezing the ends down and replacing the nose guard. So much you can do out of the 3/4, if only you had a guy that could rush passer. 

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

One of the advantages of the 3-4 is the ability to disguise what you're doing more often.

Adam Carriker did a podcast about the differences this week and one of my takeaways was the opponents' OL can have more communication issues dealing with a 3-4.

Adam did not do well explaining the differences.  It is very subtle and more perspective than significant changes.

47 minutes ago, Ocean said:

In today's game I think running a quarters high match up zone is the way to go. The 4/3 gives you the luxury of going wide 9 and easily switching in nickel and dime personnel without having to mix up the responsibilities of the down lineman. I do like the quarters high look out of a 3/4 nickel pack squeezing the ends down and replacing the nose guard. So much you can do out of the 3/4, if only you had a guy that could rush passer. 

Care to explain a little more.  Match-up zone can mean several things depending on the system.  You didn't provide much context to discern what you meant.

11 minutes ago, madrat said:

Care to explain a little more.  Match-up zone can mean several things depending on the system.  You didn't provide much context to discern what you meant.

https://fishduck.com/2016/02/i-fell-in-love-with-a-defensive-system/

this sums it up decently well and its just 1 of the first few articles I just now googled. It's a little aged so the defense has changed a little bit. Brent Venables runs a lot of cover 1 out of it with 4/3 over, but I think its based on the same alignments.

As a side note. If you search up quarters high match-up zone you will get a whole lot of pat narduzzi, but there are quite a few really good breakdowns too. Some good videos on youtube breaking down fronts, personnel groupings, stunts, etc.