Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

8 hours ago, madrat said:

The non-throwing shoulder injury explains his launching the ball everywhere except on target.  It really brings the judgment of the decision to play him into question, knowing it creates havoc in the results.  Once bit by the injury bug it is easy to get bit over and over.  And Adrian seemed to get bit a lot.

Martinez accounted for 144 rushing attempts (most on the team), we allowed 28 sacks (not all AM) and then you add in QB hits that were not sacks or rushing attempts. AM got hit A LOT. More than any other skill player on the team. Unfortunately, that's ultimately going to result in an injury sooner or later. It's amazing he was only hit as much as he was. We need to fix the OL and improve our run game next year to take some abuse off AM to help avoid injury. That will help a lot.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Martinez accounted for 144 rushing attempts (most on the team), we allowed 28 sacks (not all AM) and then you add in QB hits that were not sacks or rushing attempts. AM got hit A LOT. More than any other skill player on the team. Unfortunately, that's ultimately going to result in an injury sooner or later. It's amazing he was only hit as much as he was. We need to fix the OL and improve our run game next year to take some abuse off AM to help avoid injury. That will help a lot.

That's good info. I've been pretty critical when watching 2AM being tentative to run.  This shows that he ran plenty.  If he ran every time I was yelling at the TV for him to run more, that probably would be more like 200 rushing attempts....which is WAY too many.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's good info. I've been pretty critical when watching 2AM being tentative to run.  This shows that he ran plenty.  If he ran every time I was yelling at the TV for him to run more, that probably would be more like 200 rushing attempts....which is WAY too many.

Seems to work okay for Jalen Hurts

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I couldn't find the stats quickly, but Hurts also fumbled a LOT for Oklahoma this year.  NU fans have been critical of Martinez fumbling, but I think Hurts was worse than Martinez.

Hurts:  8 fumbles, 6 Lost

Martinez:  8 fumbles, 4 lost

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And he seems to be hurt(s) all the time.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Haha.  Quickly looking through his game log, I'm not sure he's ever missed a full game due to injury...

• Plus1 2

I'm also getting a chuckle out of people implying that he should have ran upwards of 200 times along with using Hurts as an example at running 219 times this year.  If people are implying that's what we want our offense to do, what's making me chuckle is thinking back to 2001 when so many Husker fans were so disgusted with Solich for turning our offense into an offense to reliant on the QB run.

FYI....Crouch (during a Heisman year) ran the ball 203 times (16.9 per game).  That accounted for 30.2% of our rushing attempts.

Contrast that with 2AM running the ball accounted for 26.5% of the rushing attempts.  If he ran the ball 200 times and assuming those would have been runs instead of passes, that would have accounted for 33.3% of our rushing attempts.

Just for comparison.  Hurts' rushing attempts accounted for 40.7% of OUs attempts.

Just something an old Husker fan chuckles about when thinking back over the years.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm also getting a chuckle out of people implying that he should have ran upwards of 200 times along with using Hurts as an example at running 219 times this year.  If people are implying that's what we want our offense to do, what's making me chuckle is thinking back to 2001 when so many Husker fans were so disgusted with Solich for turning our offense into an offense to reliant on the QB run.

FYI....Crouch (during a Heisman year) ran the ball 203 times (16.9 per game).  That accounted for 30.2% of our rushing attempts.

Contrast that with 2AM running the ball accounted for 26.5% of the rushing attempts.  If he ran the ball 200 times and assuming those would have been runs instead of passes, that would have accounted for 33.3% of our rushing attempts.

Just for comparison.  Hurts' rushing attempts accounted for 40.7% of OUs attempts.

Just something an old Husker fan chuckles about when thinking back over the years.

Frost commented midway through the season that the offense was depending too much on QB runs, and that they needed to find a way to run the ball with their RB's and other positions better.  The RB's were hampered by Mo's issues, Mills' ineffectiveness early in the season, and overall lack of depth.  Wandale did great in spot duty, but his increased use contributed to his hamstring injury in the 2nd half of the season.  I think the RB room will be in a better situation next year, along with a more experienced o-line should allow Frost to shift some of the running responsibility to the RB's.  I am also interested in seeing if Frost can utilize the Duck-R and slot positions in the run game more.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not necessarily about more designed QB runs but more back to your original point of him being tentative and not running on broken passing plays where there's very clearly running room.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I'm curious if he was hurt going into the season.  He wasn't right from the first snap of the season.  If he was healthy then, there was something going on mentally.

I think this is a great question.  It seems like I've heard a couple times that he was banged up before the season ever started but I don't know if that's based on anything solid or just speculation based on his less-than-stellar play.

I definitely think the bad snaps were part of it.  And I'm still not convinced there wasn't something else going on off the field.  But an injury on top of any or all of that would have made things really tough.

• Plus1 1

I think a good number is 8-12 carries a game for a QB.  Break that number up between called QB runs, options, and scrambles however you'd like.  We don't need to see him running 15+ times a game unless it is really needed.

In 2017 Milton only had 106 carries in 13 games.  His high was 13 (for 116, vs Auburn).  Also had 1 game of 12, 4 of 11, and 1 of 10 carries.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I'm curious if he was hurt going into the season.  He wasn't right from the first snap of the season.  If he was healthy then, there was something going on mentally.

You mean the one he had to high point to keep from going over his head? Ha couldn't resist. 

20 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Gundy (who gives funny pressers IMHO) said that OU is just running the Wishbone from the spread....That he is a one man show (Hurts).  Just like J Lo.  Who was one of my favorite Huskers.....

Just my .02. but AM runs a lot like TM (at least this year) kind of receives the hits instead of delivering them.  I am guessing a jacked up shoulder would lend to you not wanting to lower it......

• Plus1 1