Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

I just don't understand the knocks on AM's running this year. He was 8th in the nation among QBs running the ball with 2-3 less games than everyone above him. His average per rush was 14th and his attempts were 11th. At his average if you give him two 2 more games he moves to 6th in rushing and 3 more games gives him 5th. On top of all this he had a bum knee for several games and apparently a pretty bum shoulder too.

I get the "eye test" or whatever. Ya there were times he could have taken off and he didn't or he looked to pull up short. You could say that about almost every running QB. I think he got stuck between his instinct to run and his brain telling him let it develop this year. I don't think it's uncommon for a QB in his 2nd year.

To act like he suddenly isn't ever going to be as dynamic as he was his freshmen year is just bizarre to me.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I just don't understand the knocks on AM's running this year. He was 8th in the nation among QBs running the ball with 2-3 less games than everyone above him. His average per rush was 14th and his attempts were 11th. At his average if you give him two 2 more games he moves to 6th in rushing and 3 more games gives him 5th. On top of all this he had a bum knee for several games and apparently a pretty bum shoulder too.

I get the "eye test" or whatever. Ya there were times he could have taken off and he didn't or he looked to pull up short. You could say that about almost every running QB. I think he got stuck between his instinct to run and his brain telling him let it develop this year. I don't think it's uncommon for a QB in his 2nd year.

To act like he suddenly isn't ever going to be as dynamic as he was his freshmen year is just bizarre to me.

Why would this be bizarre to you? The reason that thought sticks in our heads is because we lived it with Taylor Martinez.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Why would this be bizarre to you? The reason that thought sticks in our heads is because we lived it with Taylor Martinez.

Athletes have down years, but TM was still dynamic.  His sophomore year was down from his freshmen year, but he bounced back and was just as if not more dynamic as a junior.

He threw for more yards, at a higher completion percentage with twice as many TDs and a slightly lower average completion. He also ran for more yards and only had two less rushing TDs (likely because his passing improved) and had a 5.2 avg rush vs 6.0 as a freshmen. Which again some of his running declines were more than made up for in passing.

His senior year he was off to an even better passing start before his injury. His rushing was down, but again as an improved passed he didn't need to run so much. So was he really less dynamic? Or did he improve as a QB and need less improvised runs that look so impressive when he was a freshmen?

I don't think either of them lost their magic. They both had down years, but AM can still come back and be great and TM did good as a junior. I just think people are so enamored with the "freshmen phenom" (Luke McCaffrey this year) that everything they do looks twice as good as it otherwise would.

My guess is that if Logan Smothers gets in next year even in slop time and plays well everyone will be clamoring for him.

• Plus1 1
Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Athletes have down years, but TM was still dynamic.  His sophomore year was down from his freshmen year, but he bounced back and was just as if not more dynamic as a junior.

He threw for more yards, at a higher completion percentage with twice as many TDs and a slightly lower average completion. He also ran for more yards and only had two less rushing TDs (likely because his passing improved) and had a 5.2 avg rush vs 6.0 as a freshmen. Which again some of his running declines were more than made up for in passing.

His senior year he was off to an even better passing start before his injury. His rushing was down, but again as an improved passed he didn't need to run so much. So was he really less dynamic? Or did he improve as a QB and need less improvised runs that look so impressive when he was a freshmen?

I don't think either of them lost their magic. They both had down years, but AM can still come back and be great and TM did good as a junior. I just think people are so enamored with the "freshmen phenom" (Luke McCaffrey this year) that everything they do looks twice as good as it otherwise would.

My guess is that if Logan Smothers gets in next year even in slop time and plays well everyone will be clamoring for him.

You answered your own question. TM his Freshman year was absolutely amazing and had incredible amount of hype and deservedly so. Then came an injury and it changed his game. Adrian's career so far is eerily similar to TMart's.  The bolded is where  I think you answered your own question. TMart suffered an injury and he was never the same afterward and he seemed to become more injury prone after his first injury, and he never lived up to the hype that was generated from his Freshman season.

The numbers for Taylor Martinez may look good on paper, but anyone who remembers watching his games after his Freshman year know he was not the same. Plus the guy had one of the worst throwing motions in the game. 

42 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

You answered your own question. TM his Freshman year was absolutely amazing and had incredible amount of hype and deservedly so. Then came an injury and it changed his game. Adrian's career so far is eerily similar to TMart's.  The bolded is where  I think you answered your own question. TMart suffered an injury and he was never the same afterward and he seemed to become more injury prone after his first injury, and he never lived up to the hype that was generated from his Freshman season.

The numbers for Taylor Martinez may look good on paper, but anyone who remembers watching his games after his Freshman year know he was not the same. Plus the guy had one of the worst throwing motions in the game. 

His junior year beat his freshmen year in almost every statistical way. He was a way better player so he was even more dynamic as a junior than a freshmen and actually more so because his passing improved so much.

You cherry picked what I was saying. I said his injury his senior year that ended his season stopped him from having his best season yet. My entire argument is that his freshmen injury did not stop him from having his best year as a junior. I don't care what the "eye test" says.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
22 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

His junior year beat his freshmen year in almost every statistical way. He was a way better player so he was even more dynamic as a junior than a freshmen and actually more so because his passing improved so much.

You cherry picked what I was saying. I said his injury his senior year that ended his season stopped him from having his best season yet. My entire argument is that his freshmen injury did not stop him from having his best year as a junior. I don't care what the "eye test" says.

I continue to be amazed how a lot of people seem to gloss over T-Magic’s Jr. year. Heck he was B1G Offensive Player of the Year that season! Injury certainly slowed him down the back end of his Freshman year, man I wish he had gone down sooner on that fateful run against Missery!, and he caused his own demise his senior year with that fateful kick, but boy he was awesome a large part of his career.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, madrat said:

He's not even joined the team and you're trying to make something about anyone wanting him to be a starter?

We need to let Adrian take his redshirt year to heal up.  Let Vedral and McCaffery battle it out for starter.  Smothers can use a year to learn the Offense.

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

He had surgery didn't he?  Why risk playing him if he's not 100%?  Let him heal up.  Vedral/McCaffery are both more than capable QBs.

He had minor surgery to clean up things. He didn’t have major reconstruction of his shoulder. Not all surgeries are equal.

Vedral and McCaffrey are capable QB’s, and they will provide solid competition to Adrian next fall. 

• Plus1 1

All we hear from Frost is that a player is "Nicked up a bit.".  Based on Adrian performance this year, he was more than just nicked up a bit.  Frost always understates injuries. TM had a great freshman year, but was constantly hampered with injuries the rest of his career.  Let Adrian return to football at 100%.  We've got the benefit of a deep QB room.