Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

These are the kinds of plays I was expecting to see from 2AM this year. Hopefully, he gets healthy and improves his awareness and quick decisions. 

I said this earlier in another topic.  IMO this is not a learned trait.   You have it or you don't.    That's not to day that coaching/experience can't make improvements..... but there's only so much you can do. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

I said this earlier in another topic.  IMO this is not a learned trait.   You have it or you don't.    That's not to day that coaching/experience can't make improvements..... but there's only so much you can do. 

I think he has the ability. We saw more of this his freshman year than we did this year. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

These are the kinds of plays I was expecting to see from 2AM this year. Hopefully, he gets healthy and improves his awareness and quick decisions. 

Joe Brady, the passing coordinator did a lot to help him out. I loved their concept of crossing/rub route passing. Creates conflict for defenses from the start. No doubt though, as ESPN said.  Burrow is a quick blinker.  Dude can process quick.  Can't take away that regardless of scheme, talent, coaching etc....He just flat played his a$$ of this season.

AM1.0 was in the pre-season Heisman hype for a reason......Just gotta get that guy back...

42 minutes ago, lo country said:

Joe Brady, the passing coordinator did a lot to help him out. I loved their concept of crossing/rub route passing. Creates conflict for defenses from the start. No doubt though, as ESPN said.  Burrow is a quick blinker.  Dude can process quick.  Can't take away that regardless of scheme, talent, coaching etc....He just flat played his a$$ of this season.

AM1.0 was in the pre-season Heisman hype for a reason......Just gotta get that guy back...

I think it’s laughable that AM shoulders all the blame for the offense this season.  Did he regress, absolutely.  How much of that is due to health, we will never know.  We do know that in yr two his options to throw to were limited to say the least, had oline issues, bad snaps, and a very limited rushing game early in the season.  Fact is the athletes required to run this offense effectively just weren’t there this yr.  that doesn’t make it AM fault.

• Plus1 7

3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I think it’s laughable that AM shoulders all the blame for the offense this season.  Did he regress, absolutely.  How much of that is due to health, we will never know.  We do know that in yr two his options to throw to were limited to say the least, had oline issues, bad snaps, and a very limited rushing game early in the season.  Fact is the athletes required to run this offense effectively just weren’t there this yr.  that doesn’t make it AM fault.

I agree 100%. I was as frustrated as anyone w/ his play at times..and wanted to see LM play a bigger part...but lets wait and see if AM gets back to being healthy and is able to play like he did as a freshman before we give up on him.

6 minutes ago, Huskersince62 said:

I agree 100%. I was as frustrated as anyone w/ his play at times..and wanted to see LM play a bigger part...but lets wait and see if AM gets back to being healthy and is able to play like he did as a freshman before we give up on him.

Reading your response I’m not sure you do agree.  Did AM regress, sure.  Inquiries likely to cause some of that.  Larger point was he wasn’t surrounded by the same caliber of compliment as he was the yr prior, not even close.  LM doesn’t solve those issues.  I do think there should be an open competition next yr but don’t be surprised if AM doesn’t win it outright with better compliments around him.  This hardly falls all on AM “regressing”.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Reading your response I’m not sure you do agree.  Did AM regress, sure.  Inquiries likely to cause some of that.  Larger point was he wasn’t surrounded by the same caliber of compliment as he was the yr prior, not even close.  LM doesn’t solve those issues.  I do think there should be an open competition next yr but don’t be surprised if AM doesn’t win it outright with better compliments around him.  This hardly falls all on AM “regressing”.

So the other guys all sucked?  So Riley's guys were better than Frosts......Can't have it both ways. 

TE's were supposed to be better and the strength of the team.  Wan'dale turned out pretty good.  JD put quietly put together an incredibly good season.  Johnson could've helped down the stretch, but his RS management was nothing less than spectacular.......OL didn't help.  

AM for what ever reason regressed this year.  A lot of that was on him.  IIRC, Frost even got in his face telling him to run......HE over threw guys.  HE missed wide open guys.  He was tied for 6th in fumbles and 29th in INT's......Stats were lower (missed more games in 2019) etc.....BUT doesn't mean with the guys Frost is bringing in, another year for Jurgens, another year in the system, moving guys around, healthy etc he can't be AM 1.0 again....

So no, he wasn't the only one to blame, but I think he has more ownership than you think.  But these are all opinions.  Yours, mine and whom ever.  Neither right or wrong.....

I have said before, I hope AM 1.0 shows up next year.  In an earlier post I said there was a reason he received a lot of pre-season hype.  I think he WAS THE REASON we were expected to win the West....I think he is the front runner going into next season.  I hope what ever injury issues he had (Frost commented on him being injured in end of season presser) get fixed and he returns to his freshman year form.  

For the first time in forever (Brook/Tommie, Eric/Bobby) we actually appear to have some real competitive depth at QB.  I think that improves all the guys across the board.  I think it also gives Frost more options.  Iron sharpens iron....

• Plus1 7
2 hours ago, lo country said:

So the other guys all sucked?  So Riley's guys were better than Frosts......Can't have it both ways. 

TE's were supposed to be better and the strength of the team.  Wan'dale turned out pretty good.  JD put quietly put together an incredibly good season.  Johnson could've helped down the stretch, but his RS management was nothing less than spectacular.......OL didn't help.  

AM for what ever reason regressed this year.  A lot of that was on him.  IIRC, Frost even got in his face telling him to run......HE over threw guys.  HE missed wide open guys.  He was tied for 6th in fumbles and 29th in INT's......Stats were lower (missed more games in 2019) etc.....BUT doesn't mean with the guys Frost is bringing in, another year for Jurgens, another year in the system, moving guys around, healthy etc he can't be AM 1.0 again....

So no, he wasn't the only one to blame, but I think he has more ownership than you think.  But these are all opinions.  Yours, mine and whom ever.  Neither right or wrong.....

I have said before, I hope AM 1.0 shows up next year.  In an earlier post I said there was a reason he received a lot of pre-season hype.  I think he WAS THE REASON we were expected to win the West....I think he is the front runner going into next season.  I hope what ever injury issues he had (Frost commented on him being injured in end of season presser) get fixed and he returns to his freshman year form.  

For the first time in forever (Brook/Tommie, Eric/Bobby) we actually appear to have some real competitive depth at QB.  I think that improves all the guys across the board.  I think it also gives Frost more options.  Iron sharpens iron....

Agreed.  I'm hoping Martinez's 2019 falloff was just due to playing hurt, but I suspect the indecisiveness and inaccuracy were not injury related.  I'm good if Martnez legitimately wins the 2020 QB battle, but he should be kept on a short leash.  You can't always assess Saturday game performance based on practice green jersey performance.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

Umm those were still MRs guys on the field.  And I didn’t say they sucked i said many had left leaving the roster and depth to be complete rebuilt.  At the end of ‘18 the oline was better, running game (rb) was better, receiving options were better than really any time during ‘19.  I can’t  imagine what calling plays for that or playing qb would look like.  I do agree AM regressed, didn’t okay well, etc as he has acknowledged as well.  That being said he is one of 10 other guys and the fact is all of them shoulder as much blame as he does for the offense.  I have agreed that an open competition is best imo, but wouldn’t be surprised if AM wins it outright.  I really don’t know why anyone would think in yr two, after the mass exodus of MRs guys, that you would just replace 1000 yd rusher and receiver and two oline, like plug and play.  The depth isn’t there yet and that isn’t on frost, yet.  This was compounded by the suspension of Washington and hunt.

• Plus1 2

On 12/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, Husker in WI said:

And also make it very clear to opposing teams that he was seriosuly hurt. Now that was probably clear from the film, but if they're not confirming injuries there's a chance it's something that could clear up over the course of the season. So you have to prepare for a healthy Martinez whether that's who is on film or not. If he says Martinez has a shoulder issue that will require offseason surgery, you can definitely prepare for the Martinez you've seen.

Maybe that slight doubt of whether he can get healthy or not isn't worth it, but I am sure internally it was made very clear to Martinez that the critics won't know the whole story and that's just how it goes.

The real question here should be: “How less does Frost think of McCAffrey and Vedral to choose a not so healthy Martinez over them even when they had the hotter hand?” I understand that not sharing injury reports is a good strategy to keep opponents guessing but if you choose to go with an injured Martinez over other healthy QBs, what message does that send them? Anyone wonder why Bunch is in the transfer portal!

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

13 hours ago, melscott62 said:

Burrows certainly didn't seem to have that trait until his redshirt senior year. That dude was nowhere near the quarterback he is right now when he was a sophomore. 

I know we've got a very weird history/perspective on quarterback play as Nebraska fans, but the big time growth and step up is certainly possible. Especially from someone who has shown the ability and potential. 

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

The real question here should be: “How less does Frost think of McCAffrey and Vedral to choose a not so healthy Martinez over them even when they had the hotter hand?” I understand that not sharing injury reports is a good strategy to keep opponents guessing but if you choose to go with an injured Martinez over other healthy QBs, what message does that send them? Anyone wonder why Bunch is in the transfer portal!

Bunch is in the transfer portal because he isn’t good enough to play pwr five ball.  Like the kid, did everything right, just doesn’t have the skill set.  Mccaffrey was a true frosh with limited understanding of the o and clear growth in the passing game.  Vedral I’m not sure how healthy he was at the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Mccaffrey was a true frosh with limited understanding of the o and clear growth in the passing game.

I'm not sure how much he's improved in the passing game.  We have a very limited sample size while he was playing.  When he was in, the stats show that Frost went to a much more run heavy play call.

Burrow took one of the greatest leaps in CFB histroy. I don't think AM is capable of that but to think that AM isn't worthy of starting is funny. AM had equal or better stats as a true freshman than Burrow did as a 4th year JR

Burrow's rsJR stats:

2,894 passing yards 16 TD 5 INT (57.8%) 

399 rushing yards 7 TD (3.1 ypc)

Martinez FR stats

2,617 passing yards 17 TD 8 INT (64.6%) 

629 rushing yards 8 TD (4.5 ypc)

• Thanks 2