Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

College football has also changed a lot in the last 20 years. More teams demanding more excellence shared the same recruiting pool, and advantages Nebraska once enjoyed were being whittled away. 

Not all of this is on the administration. But if you really were savvy enough to see the way college football was going, and knew you had to act ahead of the curve to meet the incredibly high expectations of Husker fans, you could see how replacing Frank Solich in 2003 was the right move.

Problem was, most of us thought the position of Head Coach at the University of Nebraska was going to be attractive to that transformational next generation coach, and it actually wasn't. That all got played out in public and Bill Callahan was a face saving measure, an NFL head coach one year removed from coaching a Super Bowl. Firing Callahan wasn't a mistake. Firing Bo wasn't a mistake. Firing Riley wasn't a mistake. And now that we have the only coach every Husker fan can agree on, and he's turned in the worst back to back seasons of them all,  we finally get the humbled expectations and patience needed for a genuine rebuild.

Then again, a half-dozen of the right recruits could make a world of difference overnight. I'm going to expect better every year because I really, really need to believe this is the bottom.

• Plus1 3

51 minutes ago, lo country said:

IMHO, cold hard reality is that Frost has yet to do anything that has resulted in any changes from the Riley error.  Recruiting is "better", but it has yet to translate to wins on the field.....Something he was brought in to change.  The dumpster fire that was Riley got to go bowling in 2 seasons and the wins were just as few and far between as with Frost. Frost gets and deserves time.  Every new coach does/should except Riley.  I hated that hire.....I think Bill Parcel  said "Potential is because they haven't done anything yet".  That's where I am.  Frost has potential.  But at NU, I have more questions than answers.......2020 and 2021 are looking to be much harder than 2019 was ........The players need to improve, but so does this staff.

Recruiting is better...you realize frost 1st full class were freshman last yr right?  Maybe let them mature before we start selling stock on frost, just an idea.  His first “partial” class as he came in late has largely transferred as did the class the yr prior.  We are young, he’s recruiting better than we have since Callahan they are just young.   Also, nobody, including the coaches, is saying they don’t need to get better.

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, TheSker said:

So since Moos is nervous and Frost can only coach in the AAC, when are you expecting their perspective buyouts to occur?

Speculating on the future of Scott Frost and Moos's faith in him has to turn into a conversation about more than one thing:

- How far the Husker football program has declined;  pretty much down to irrelevancy from a once dominant, perennially competitive team.  That could have happened for only a few years, or for only one or two class cycles.. but:

- For how long the Husker football program has declined;  some cite all the way back to T.O.'s retirement.  Some to Solich's or even Pelini's departure.   But pretty much steadily down from either of those road marks in Husker history.

- The teams declining stats from season one of Frost's tenure to this past season:  O, D, and Special Teams.

- Whether or not a perception comes along in the minds of The Deciders that Scott Frost is up against something he can't handle, and that has to be defined as to his abilities/lack thereof in a major conference, the Big Ten in particular, of course.  It takes a lot to dislodge faith in anything, and if those Deciders are still in the midst of faith in Scott Frost, then how many losses over how many years will it take to replace that faith with the horrid realization that $35 million can't buy Husker success at all, let alone the afore mentioned perennial success of the 30 year Husker Golden Era?

My answer to all of that is that I'm trying to let Moos's good words about the Husker football future displace a lingering feeling that our popular Golden Boy is not up to it.  Recruiting gets mentioned a lot, and of course it takes many cycles of good, solid recruiting (including walkons here at Nebraska) and a great coach who knows how to run them to create a monster program.  That's Moos's spiel.  I don't think it's going to happen with this guy Frost.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Speculating on the future of Scott Frost and Moos's faith in him has to turn into a conversation about more than one thing:

- How far the Husker football program has declined;  pretty much down to irrelevancy from a once dominant, perennially competitive team.  That could have happened for only a few years, or for only one or two class cycles.. but:

- For how long the Husker football program has declined;  some cite all the way back to T.O.'s retirement.  Some to Solich's departure.   But pretty much steadily down from either of those road marks in Husker history.

- The teams declining stats from season one of Frost's tenure to this past season:  O, D, and Special Teams.

- Whether or not a perception comes along in the minds of The Deciders that Scott Frost is up against something he can't handle, and that has to be defined as to his abilities/lack thereof in a major conference, the Big Ten in particular, of course.  It takes a lot to dislodge faith, and if those Deciders are still in the midst of faith, then how many losses over how many years will it take to replace that faith with the horrid realization that $35 million can't buy Husker success at all, let alone the afore mentioned perennial success of the 30 year Husker Golden Era?

My answer to all of that is that I'm trying to let Moos's good words about the Husker football future displace a lingering feeling that our popular Golden Boy is not up to it.  Recruiting gets mentioned a lot, and of course it takes many cycles of good, solid recruiting (including walkons here at Nebraska) to create a monster program.  That's Moos's spiel.  I don't think it's going to happen. 

Well.  Ok.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, lo country said:

IMHO, cold hard reality is that Frost has yet to do anything that has resulted in any changes from the Riley error.  

Are you f#cking kidding? 

Set aside season records for the time being, you don't see any changes for the better from the Riley era? Maybe some things that will help achieve the overall goal later...

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you f#cking kidding? 

Set aside season records for the time being, you don't see any changes for the better from the Riley era? Maybe some things that will help achieve the overall goal later...

I think he has a point.  Everything we are looking at is speculation that it is progression.  We really have not done anything different than under Riley, have we?  Back to back crappy seasons that seemed about as dysfunctional as it can be is really the continuation of the Riley era but with a new guy driving the train with a fatter paycheck.  Outside of speculating on what Scott is doing, has done, and wants to do and telling ourselves that is going to mean more W's, well it is just that speculation.  To the naked eye, we all want things to appear better and want them to be better, but are they really?  Seeing the great attention the program is currently getting, keep hoping.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you f#cking kidding? 

Set aside season records?  No.  That's exactly how success is measured.  People saying Frost will fix things are saying so based on faith and faith alone.  There is no evidence that things are getting better...not to mention Frost's recruitment of bad people.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Set aside season records?  No.  That's exactly how success is measured.  People saying Frost will fix things are saying so based on faith and faith alone.  There is no evidence that things are getting better...not to mention Frost's recruitment of bad people.  

I'm by no means happy with what we've seen but are you saying you haven't seen what looks to be progress in certain areas?  Sure, there's been regression as well but at least some areas look to be improving, OL being a big one (no pun intended).

I heard Frost intentionally recruits players with poor character.  /s

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1000X This 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you f#cking kidding? 

No.  W-L is what ultimately matters.  To date, we are sadly in a negative W record for Frost.  That is something tangible and factual.  I see some players with great potential.  I see some guys that played great last year and some this year that were Riley guys....I see better recruiting ( and some of those guys actually making it to campus)  I see poor coaching decisions just like I did under Riley.  The saving grace is that Frost is starting year 5 in coaching and can learn. Riley had been coaching for like 100 years and sucked. So yes, there is the upside that Frost is relatively inexperienced, but has tons of room to grow.  

I am all in on Frost.  Gotta be.  Win lose or draw, I think he is here for the duration.  The media, the hype, the return of the prodigal son and my own hope etc...Set me and most fans up for disappointment.  I thought we had the talent and staff to at least get bowl eligible the past 2 years.  I'm resigning myself to baby steps and a total rebuild.  Gonna be longer than most thought.

• Plus1 1

Guy Chamberlin: “... now that we have the only coach every Husker fan can agree on, and he's turned in the worst back to back seasons of them all, we finally get the humbled expectations and patience needed for a genuine rebuild.”

Since football is an emotional game, coaches’ behavior usually reflects how things are going at any given moment in time. Yelling at a ref one second, big smile and tap on the helmet for good play the next.

With Frost, he seemed mostly truly excited and happy on the sidelines down in Florida way. In Lincoln, he’s seemed subdued and frustrated and not as the same guy. Yes, the losing is going to do that do a person. But also, a coach has to lead by example and project a good attitude most all of the time. When a player sees a coach frowning and pensive... that attitude is picked up by and reflected in the players. The Huskers need to see more of the Central Florida Frost and less of the Coach At Lincoln Frost in the coming season.

The Husker squad needs to raise their game on all levels. And the Coach needs to project more of Sunshine State positive attitude and good energy especially when things aren’t going well. The Huskers have played scared too much and needs to have a free-er attitude toward playing the game.

17 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

You say this like it's a bad thing. But which is worse, to have faith that the coach we've hitched our wagon to is going to eventually get it done?  Or to call for his head, say we should burn the program down again, and start over with some new flavor-of-the-month coach?

Just because some people expected Frost to win 10 games this year doesn't mean it was a rational expectation.  When Riley left so did a lot of his best recruits.  Look at Riley's recruiting classes from 2015 to 2017.  LINK  A few are contributors.  But considering Riley's remaining recruits are mostly juniors a d seniors now, there aren't as many contributors as you'd expect.   Frost has been fielding a team with an awful lot of freshmen, sophomores and grad transfers.  

Some people had irrational expectations of vying for a conference championship in year two.   I find it odd that many of those same pie-in-the-sky fans now think the program has gone to hell in a hand basket because their irrational expectations weren't realized.  Maybe they should have more faith.   

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, NUance said:

You say this like it's a bad thing. But which is worse, to have faith that the coach we've hitched our wagon to is going to eventually get it done?  Or to call for his head, say we should burn the program down again, and start over with some new flavor-of-the-month coach?

Just because some people expected Frost to win 10 games this year doesn't mean it was a rational expectation.  When Riley left so did a lot of his best recruits.  Look at Riley's recruiting classes from 2015 to 2017.  LINK  A few are contributors.  But considering Riley's remaining recruits are mostly juniors a d seniors now, there aren't as many contributors as you'd expect.   Frost has been fielding a team with an awful lot of freshmen, sophomores and grad transfers.  

Some people had irrational expectations of vying for a conference championship in year two.   I find it odd that many of those same pie-in-the-sky fans now think the program has gone to hell in a hand basket because their irrational expectations weren't realized.  Maybe they should have more faith.   

This.....tell me one other team, at any level.  They lose 2 oline, both rbs, 1000yd wr, and arguably our best most irreplaceable (given current roster) defender.  You take a look and go yep, that teams going to double their wins from last season.  I look at some of these responses as completely irrational.  Frost is fielding a team built largely on walkons, and soph and freshman.  Any upperclassmen was a MR guy with those issues to unpack.  Yes this will take time.  If you haven’t seen progress you either don’t want to in order to say I told you say, love being miserable, or aren’t looking very hard.