Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

56 minutes ago, lo country said:

No.  W-L is what ultimately matters.  To date, we are sadly in a negative W record for Frost.  That is something tangible and factual.  I see some players with great potential.  I see some guys that played great last year and some this year that were Riley guys....I see better recruiting ( and some of those guys actually making it to campus)  I see poor coaching decisions just like I did under Riley.  The saving grace is that Frost is starting year 5 in coaching and can learn. Riley had been coaching for like 100 years and sucked. So yes, there is the upside that Frost is relatively inexperienced, but has tons of room to grow.  

I am all in on Frost.  Gotta be.  Win lose or draw, I think he is here for the duration.  The media, the hype, the return of the prodigal son and my own hope etc...Set me and most fans up for disappointment.  I thought we had the talent and staff to at least get bowl eligible the past 2 years.  I'm resigning myself to baby steps and a total rebuild.  Gonna be longer than most thought.

Sorry but if you don't see the improvements from Riley... I'm at a complete loss as to how to try to point them out. And obviously I am not talking about the W-L record thus far. Culture, attitude, S&C...the things that are glaringly better. The things that a person would have to make an effort to avoid seeing but that you seem unwilling to acknowledge.

And so you understand my opinion, I think many of these things in the first years of a total rebuild are way more important than how many games were won in year 1 or year 2.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

48 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Sorry but if you don't see the improvements from Riley... I'm at a complete loss as to how to try to point them out. And obviously I am not talking about the W-L record thus far. Culture, attitude, S&C...the things that are glaringly better. The things that a person would have to make an effort to avoid seeing but that you seem unwilling to acknowledge.

And so you understand my opinion, I think many of these things in the first years of a total rebuild are way more important than how many games were won in year 1 or year 2.

I would personally like a little more detail on what you consider glaringly better.

I think my biggest disappointment this year has been the decline of attitude. Whatever had been gained in the 4-2 end of the 2018 season seemed to disappear in 2019. Body language, poor fundamentals, horrible third quarters, testy press conferences, pretty much everything.

W/L isn't everything, but taking all the transition and attrition into account, pundits, pollsters, and Vegas had the Huskers contending this year, and the biggest skeptics on this board had us going 7-5.  No one can say what will happen in the next few years, but what am I missing that you see as glaringly better? I mean, beyond the assumption that the next couple recruiting classes will turn this around?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

This.....tell me one other team, at any level.  They lose 2 oline, both rbs, 1000yd wr, and arguably our best most irreplaceable (given current roster) defender.  You take a look and go yep, that teams going to double their wins from last season.  I look at some of these responses as completely irrational.  Frost is fielding a team built largely on walkons, and soph and freshman.  Any upperclassmen was a MR guy with those issues to unpack.  Yes this will take time.  If you haven’t seen progress you either don’t want to in order to say I told you say, love being miserable, or aren’t looking very hard.

Who said that?  Your reading is no better than your spelling. 

Clearly you did not graduate from the University of Nebraska. 

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I would personally like a little more detail on what you consider glaringly better.

I think my biggest disappointment this year has been the decline of attitude. Whatever had been gained in the 4-2 end of the 2018 season seemed to disappear in 2019. Body language, poor fundamentals, horrible third quarters, testy press conferences, pretty much everything.

W/L isn't everything, but taking all the transition and attrition into account, pundits, pollsters, and Vegas had the Huskers contending this year, and the biggest skeptics on this board had us going 7-5.  No one can say what will happen in the next few years, but what am I missing that you see as glaringly better? I mean, beyond the assumption that the next couple recruiting classes will turn this around?

I'm not going to claim there was no regression this year, there was. And I was not happy with many of those things or the coaching decisions that precluded winning a few more of the games where we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's certainly not all sunshine and Kool-Aid. But I still saw our lines improve on both sides of the ball, strength appears to be headed in the right direction, and I thought the defense improved. I don't want to make excuses but we experienced some personnel losses, injuries and inexplicable regression with many key players. I wish we were deeper and could deal with them better and I wish Frost had more experience with how to deal with some of this but it was what it was. I'm just very hopeful that our recruiting/attrition will improve our skill and that Frost will learn some things faster rather than slower. I sure don't see any cause to spread doom and gloom with every post I make.

1 hour ago, NUance said:

Who said that?  Your reading is no better than your spelling. 

Clearly you did not graduate from the University of Nebraska. 

I said at the beginning of the season we’d be lucky to get 7-8 wins.  That was before our only back, who we all thought would explode this year, got removed from the team.  I adjusted to at best 6-6.  My point was anyone saying this team was a sure fire 8-10 win team was selling themselves on emotion and fairytales, not logic or statistics.  Btw, many people on this very board have said that.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

I said at the beginning of the season we’d be lucky to get 7-8 wins.  That was before our only back, who we all thought would explode this year, got removed from the team.  I adjusted to at best 6-6.  My point was anyone saying this team was a sure fire 8-10 win team was selling themselves on emotion and fairytales, not logic or statistics.  Btw, many people on this very board have said that.

I'll admit it, I saw this being a 9 win year. I may have even stretched to 10 at one point. Surely some of that was overexposure to Kool-Aid but even with all that went wrong, we weren't far removed from 8 wins. Something's I did not see coming (but I think will be addressed better in the future.

2AM playing like crap, and Frost still riding with him.

MoWa not flying straight but rather getting booted.

Injuries to all 3 QB's.

Wan'dale overuse/misuse and injury.

Mills underuse and misuse.

The clusterf#ck of our kicking game (all aspects).

The resultant regression of our offense.

Lack of special teams improvements.

But yeah, I'm hopeful and expect every one of those things to be addressed by next year.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Has culture really changed?  Frost talked about lack of attitude, physicality, guys used to not winning etc....Is this true or just excuses for another losing season?  I really can't judge S&C.  Our numbers are better, but we still don't "look" like a top tier team.  I liked what has happened with Jurgens.  Kudus to Frost and Co for making the call.  I think some guys have improved under his watch (L Jax).  But to think he has been an upgrade over Riley, for me, looking at articulable facts is hard.  Everything else is so subjective IMO.  Am I glad Riley is gone?  ABSOLUTELY.  I hated the hire and still do.  

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I'll admit it, I saw this being a 9 win year. I may have even stretched to 10 at one point. Surely some of that was overexposure to Kool-Aid but even with all that went wrong, we weren't far removed from 8 wins. Something's I did not see coming (but I think will be addressed better in the future.

2AM playing like crap, and Frost still riding with him.

MoWa not flying straight but rather getting booted.

Injuries to all 3 QB's.

Wan'dale overuse/misuse and injury.

Mills underuse and misuse.

The clusterf#ck of our kicking game (all aspects).

The resultant regression of our offense.

Lack of special teams improvements.

But yeah, I'm hopeful and expect every one of those things to be addressed by next year.

I'll add time management to the bolded.  These issues cause me concern going forward.  These are things I would not have expected from a guy who is a HC.  Riley was the king of stupid clock management and Langs called the most baffling calls.  At times, Frost called a series like TO.  One play set up another (more so last year) and other's his O resembled a Beck, Wats, Langs offense.  A multiple throw at the wall and see what sticks.

I do think he inherited a much better team at UCF than he did at NU. I think he had guys across the board that could run his O and D (Shaqueem being a HUGE part of that success on D) and they were in the AAC.

I think the key moving forward is will Frost reach out and really look at what worked and didn't. I think depth will help.  I hope that he reads what the 4 game RS rule is and how it works and uses it a lot better next year.  I hope that we can somehow stop the injuries that seemed to hurt us this.  

Again, I like Frost. I wanted and still want him as a HC.  I want him to return us to contention, get us back to the national talk etc.....I'm just saying in year 2 I have been under whelmed.  I do not see a "wow" jump form year 1 to year 2.  Looking at the statistics, again factual date, we regressed...  I didn't expect that.  Injuries, lack of depth, loss of Foster, Farmer, Stan and Oz etc impacted this, but some of our losses are/were unacceptable IMO.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Has culture really changed?  Frost talked about lack of attitude, physicality, guys used to not winning etc....Is this true or just excuses for another losing season?  I really can't judge S&C.  Our numbers are better, but we still don't "look" like a top tier team.  I liked what has happened with Jurgens.  Kudus to Frost and Co for making the call.  I think some guys have improved under his watch (L Jax).  But to think he has been an upgrade over Riley, for me, looking at articulable facts is hard.  Everything else is so subjective IMO.  Am I glad Riley is gone?  ABSOLUTELY.  I hated the hire and still do.  

I'll add time management to the bolded.  These issues cause me concern going forward.  These are things I would not have expected from a guy who is a HC.  Riley was the king of stupid clock management and Langs called the most baffling calls.  At times, Frost called a series like TO.  One play set up another (more so last year) and other's his O resembled a Beck, Wats, Langs offense.  A multiple throw at the wall and see what sticks.

I do think he inherited a much better team at UCF than he did at NU. I think he had guys across the board that could run his O and D (Shaqueem being a HUGE part of that success on D) and they were in the AAC.

I think the key moving forward is will Frost reach out and really look at what worked and didn't. I think depth will help.  I hope that he reads what the 4 game RS rule is and how it works and uses it a lot better next year.  I hope that we can somehow stop the injuries that seemed to hurt us this.  

Again, I like Frost. I wanted and still want him as a HC.  I want him to return us to contention, get us back to the national talk etc.....I'm just saying in year 2 I have been under whelmed.  I do not see a "wow" jump form year 1 to year 2.  Looking at the statistics, again factual date, we regressed...  I didn't expect that.  Injuries, lack of depth, loss of Foster, Farmer, Stan and Oz etc impacted this, but some of our losses are/were unacceptable IMO.

Well I didn’t see a “wow” jump either and I also was completely underwhelmed with year two. But I cannot say, like you did, spurring this exchange, that I have not seen much needed structural improvements in the program.

I’m going to purposely be over patient. And I know Frost has a very long leash in his first 4 or 5 seasons so I see no reason to run around saying the sky is falling like many seem to be. Besides that I’m just fed up with it at this point. If Frost isn’t the answer, I’m done with it. I know they will never find another coach that wants to fix it as badly as he does. I may be wrong (don’t care) but if he doesn’t get it done I don’t care if it ever does get back to what it should be. The last 18 years has broken me.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Ok...so hear me out.  He rode wandale because wait for it, mills struggled at the beginning and the two behind him were walkons.  Pull rahmir redshirt or ride wandale.  That is your decision...

Regarding playcalling.  Do you think play calling would be kind of stressful and inconsistent given the athletes on the field at times.  At certain key points during the Iowa game we had AM, mazour, Allen, stoll, Warner and #88.  Have no idea who 88 was and first time I remember seeing him all year.  3rd and 7, what play given that personnel you drawing up, or even feel confident in.  

Frost is 100% right, loves many of the guys on this team, just need more of them.

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well I didn’t see a “wow” jump either and I also was completely underwhelmed with year two. But I cannot say, like you did, spurring this exchange, that I have not seen much needed structural improvements in the program.

I’m going to purposely be over patient. And I know Frost has a very long leash in his first 4 or 5 seasons so I see no reason to run around saying the sky is falling like many seem to be. Besides that I’m just fed up with it at this point. If Frost isn’t the answer, I’m done with it. I know they will never find another coach that wants to fix it as badly as he does. I may be wrong (don’t care) but if he doesn’t get it done I don’t care if it ever does get back to what it should be. The last 18 years has broken me.

I think we are in the same place honestly.  If Frost can't turn it around I am unsure who can....No one knows the fans (good and bad aspects), NU, Nebraska or the traditions like Frost.  I liked Frank, didn't want him fired, I thought he needed to make some staff changes.  He did and 2003 happened. IMHO, he should have been allowed to see what that staff could do moving forward. That and Crawford might have made a difference.  We have been floundering since his then.  Bo's best years were Cally recruits and when Marvin and Carl were there. (I'd love to have those 9-10 win seasons.....

I've become numb to the losses....Against Iowa this year, I watched them drive down the field and knew what was going to happen. That has played out too many times against too many NU teams and coaches.......I think Frost is here as for at least 5 more years.  Unsure about his staff.  I have some questions about several of them....I look at Burrow at LSU as a prime example. Last year he was good.  They bring in Brady and he throws for almost 5000 yards and a 78% completion rate....LSU built that system to let him thrive to possibly the most prolific QB in FBS history this season....LSU was really good, but that change was predicated on 1 guy....IMHO. I think like Frank, Cally,  Bo and Riley hey each had staff that let them down.  I throw Riley in, but he was an issue as well.

Regardless, I am in it for the long haul.  GBR

• Plus1 1