Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

20 hours ago, BackInTheDay said:

4-8 and 5-7 with Scott Frost as head coach at Nebraska. That is not feelings, it is not thoughts, nor opinions  and not arrogance, or even ego.  That's what it is.  Those are the facts.  It's history.

I wouldn't want anybody else next year but Scott Frost as our head coach, but you need to not let YOUR feelings, thoughts and opinions get out in front of the facts.  Scott Frost is doing slightly worse than any head coach at Nebraska in the last 50 years.  That is the bad news.  The good news is he has five more years to make everybody forget the first two.  I hope he does.  However, one can't praise what hasn't happened yet.

He received an extension 

Five years on his first contract...minus two that are gone...plus a two year contract extension.  That was the math I used.

Question....did anyone in husker history lose 95% of the previous two yrs recruits in order to course correct culture?  How about correct roster mismanagement that had  been going on for the better part of 10 yrs?  Yeah didn’t think so.

Okay, then let me fix it for you:

4-8*

5-7**

*  correcting roster mismanagement that had  been going on for the better part of 10 yrs

** lost 95% of the previous two yrs recruits in order to course correct culture

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Well...we lost a 1000 yard rusher...a 1000 yard receiver...a starting center and tackle...two starters at LB and 3 starting DBs then lost our new center to an injury in the first game.  Started a Sophmore QB, a freshman feature back, a sophmore TE, a freshman center and a sophmore MLB along with a host of underclassmen all over the field.  The seniors on the team were all Rhoads recruits...whose coaching talent would be on par with Mike Riley I assume.  Yet the Iowa State coaching staff made it work.  Why can't Nebraska?  Your recruits are supposed to be better...your facilities are better...you have more money.  What's the deal?

Just saying...don't make excuses about inexperience being a major contributor to lack of success.  Other teams can, obviously, have success with the same lack of experienced players.

Well for starters let’s look at the conference there champ....big12 is not even close to the big10.  That’s for starters.  I’ll say too, what yr is rhoades in at isu.. point is in yr 4,5, or 6 I expect a HC roster mgmt and depth to account for those losses.  In year two after a decade of mismanagement, not likely.

4 minutes ago, BackInTheDay said:

Okay, then let me fix it for you:

4-8*

5-7**

*  correcting roster mismanagement that had  been going on for the better part of 10 yrs

** lost 95% of the previous two yrs recruits in order to course correct culture

I was starting to question whether we'd be able to fill out the 2020 recruiting class with our underwhelming 5-7 performance, but things are starting to shape up nicely, including a strong LB class.   Kudos to Frost and the staff.  Recruiting takes a backseat to player development and desire, but it's tough to win the Kentucky derby with a Cyldesdale.

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Frost is here primarily with two thumbs up from Osborne after changes that included Perlman's retirement.

Ahh well why didn’t you say so, that changes everything.  I disagree, although it helped, Eichorst had already been let go, MR was on his way out, and moos had already been contacted.  Davison and moos had more influence on frost coming back than TO.

5 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Ahh well why didn’t you say so, that changes everything.  I disagree, although it helped, Eichorst had already been let go, MR was on his way out, and moos had already been contacted.  Davison and moos had more influence on frost coming back than TO.

Agree with the Davison/Moos sales job, but Scott did check in with Tom to see if the administration could be trusted to support a rebuild.

25 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

You can believe what you like.....not something I want to go back and forth about.

34 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

I was starting to question whether we'd be able to fill out the 2020 recruiting class with our underwhelming 5-7 performance, but things are starting to shape up nicely, including a strong LB class.   Kudos to Frost and the staff.  Recruiting takes a backseat to player development and desire, but it's tough to win the Kentucky derby with a Cyldesdale.

Signing day is 3 days away....BUT you gotta give this staff their props on the recruiting trail so far.  To be able to get these guys to commit after two losing seasons is amazing.  I really thought we'd struggle with this class.  Last thing I read, we are up to 17th......Not bad.  Imagine once we start winning.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You can believe what you like.....not something I want to go back and forth about.

You’re totally right, I mean TO is a god right.  It’s not like he hired a football coach at a major pgm later admitting he had no idea how much football coaches make now.....awesome mgmt hiring ppl without any idea what current market is.  How about nickel and dining recruiting, yeah that TO was a hell of an AD.

49 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Well for starters let’s look at the conference there champ....big12 is not even close to the big10.  That’s for starters.  I’ll say too, what yr is rhoades in at isu.. point is in yr 4,5, or 6 I expect a HC roster mgmt and depth to account for those losses.  In year two after a decade of mismanagement, not likely.

Its Campbell...not Rhoades.

Iowa State went 3-9 in Matt's first year as head coach.  Since then

Year 2 - 8-4

Year 3 - 8-4

Year 4 - 7-5

Big 12 Coach of the Year - 2017 & 2018

Three straight years bowling

Funny how weak the Big 10 was back when Nebraska was in the Big 12 but instantly reversed when Nebraska jumped conferences.  Frankly...at this point and with this staff, Nebraska is hard pressed to win in either conference.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, lo country said:

Signing day is 3 days away....BUT you gotta give this staff their props on the recruiting trail so far.  To be able to get these guys to commit after two losing seasons is amazing.  I really thought we'd struggle with this class.  Last thing I read, we are up to 17th......Not bad.  Imagine once we start winning.

The Greene and Mauga pickups were huge.  If we can pickup Kaden Johnson, LB becomes the strength of this class.  Fully expect Reimer and Nelson to develop into quality starters going forward.  I'm hoping Henrich, Hannah and some of our walk-ons step up and provide some depth. 

From what I hear it was a tough sale to get Coach Frost here.  If Tom had not told him to come, I seriously doubt he would be here.  Frost gave up a lot to come here, and I don't think he really knew how bad it was when he agreed.  Moos and Davison did a great job no question.  But the deal sealed when Coach Osborne said he would have time to fix it.

I don't know if he can, but his recruiting is a step in the right direction no question.  Hopefully he has who he wants on the team, and those that were problems are all gone.

Cy, it amazes me at how easy the Big 10 was going to be with Nebraska speed, how we would show people who the Big Red really was and how we ended fighting to show people who truly wore the N on their helmet.  We lacked respect for the conference and now show less to the Big 12.  This has been one of our problems for a long time.

I know we make lots of money in the Big 10, but leaving the Big 12 has hurt this program in recruiting no question.  losing the Texas pipeline hurts more than most want to admit.

I know I have lost interest in the games with Illinois and Indiana.  Playing Kansas, KState, Oklahoma and the rest was history, just throwing it away hurts in some ways.

We talk the talk, but the last 10 years have failed miserably in walking the walk.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2