Frost will fix 20+ years of crap

I was listening to Mitch Sherman and Max Olson of The Athletic on their 2019 season recap podcast.  One thing that really stood out to me was when Olson shared a story from Dana Holgerson when Dana was at West Virginia.  When WVU was shifting from the Big East to the Big 12, Dana commented that the first couple years were tough because when the program was in the Big East, he could get by with about 30 "good players".  When they joined the Big 12, Dana realized that the roster needed to have about 50-55 good players.

Olson commented that he thinks Frost is realizing that at NU, and the timeline for the rebuild will take longer than he and fans expected.  Frost was able to do a quick turnaround at UCF because UCF required fewer "good players" because of being in the AAC.  With NU in the Big Ten, the competition is stiffer than Frost faced at UCF, and even Oregon.

I think Frost is hitting the JUCO ranks hard this year because he realizes he needs guys who can contribute in 2020 and 2021, and not wanting to wait on high school kids to grow and develop.  Frost is trying to build that roster with quality depth, and different options at each position.

• Plus1 2

50 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Agree to a point.  I don’t think he did it with the intention of tanking the season.  I do think this season was all about long term health and development of the program.  RS that could have helped this season were saved in order to protect depth and know that in yr 5 they help a lot more then yr one.  Jurgens is another great example.

No, I don’t mean he tanked it on purpose but probably realized early(injuries, key guys leaving) that making this year a successful year wasn’t the priority. When depth is as short as our is, you have to prioritize your needs and this year was never going to be good anyway 

56 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think that's in his nature as a competitor. And if that's what they were doing, they could've done it way more effectively - instead of freshmen playing their 4 games as role players, could've just started them for 4 games. I think internal expectations for this year were lower than fan expectations, but 5 wins was short of everybody's expectations.

And I don’t think that wins were this years priority. Frost is more of a chess player then I thought. 

I’m guessing his thought process is to build championship teams and not just bowl eligible ones. This recruiting blindside surge has me thinking...

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost was thinking long-term with most of his decisions for the year (redshirting most of the 2019 class, starting Jurgens at center, etc.), but he was still trying to get the team to 7 or 8 wins.  He was trying to make progress this year, while also looking at the long-term implications.  I don't think Frost was tanking this season, but some of the decisions backfired when injuries, suspensions, and lack of development at positions cost the team some games which Frost thought the team could win.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was listening to Mitch Sherman and Max Olson of The Athletic on their 2019 season recap podcast.  One thing that really stood out to me was when Olson shared a story from Dana Holgerson when Dana was at West Virginia.  When WVU was shifting from the Big East to the Big 12, Dana commented that the first couple years were tough because when the program was in the Big East, he could get by with about 30 "good players".  When they joined the Big 12, Dana realized that the roster needed to have about 50-55 good players.

Olson commented that he thinks Frost is realizing that at NU, and the timeline for the rebuild will take longer than he and fans expected.  Frost was able to do a quick turnaround at UCF because UCF required fewer "good players" because of being in the AAC.  With NU in the Big Ten, the competition is stiffer than Frost faced at UCF, and even Oregon.

I think Frost is hitting the JUCO ranks hard this year because he realizes he needs guys who can contribute in 2020 and 2021, and not wanting to wait on high school kids to grow and develop.  Frost is trying to build that roster with quality depth, and different options at each position.

These are two of the most levelheaded posts I've seen in awhile. Of course it'll piss off the pitchfork and torch crew who seemingly just wants to b!^@h and whine and continually burn it to the ground rather than having an ounce of patience and building something sustainable.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

A winner?  As a head coach, he has 3 losing seasons out of 4.  I’ll buy the next pitcher of Kool Aid

It's not where one starts, it is where one finishes.  Sort of like starting out losing 19-0 against Arizona and then claiming a national championship in the Orange Bowl.  When did you give up on Frost as a quarterback during that time?

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You had me until the Oregon line.  Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois would have been bad teams in the Pac 12 as well.  We lost to some bad teams with third string QB's this year.  You can't gloss over that.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDay said:

It's not where one starts, it is where one finishes.  Sort of like starting out losing 19-0 against Arizona and then claiming a national championship in the Orange Bowl.  When did you give up on Frost as a quarterback during that time?

I was part of the few who backed Frost when they lost to Arizona State.  I don't feel as confident with Coach Frost however...

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Except this isn't UCF joining the Big Ten.  Nebraska always wins the division in recruiting so it's not really comparable. 

6 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

You had me until the Oregon line.  Purdue, Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois would have been bad teams in the Pac 12 as well.  We lost to some bad teams with third string QB's this year.  You can't gloss over that.

I hate when people pick one line in a long post and obsess over that. Maybe I shouldn’t have used Oregon in my comment but the point is still the same.