The Right to Carry a Gun

Nebraska allows for concealed carry, with a permit that is issued by the Nebraska State Patrol after a fee and FBI background check are satisfied, and also after the applicant can prove he or she has undergone a firearm training session by a NSP certified instructor.  Many (most) other states have such provisions in place by law.

I've been carrying for decades, and have lived in several states along the way.  To me it's just a part of getting dressed.  I've never been in law enforcement, but a gun has always been with me and I've always been very mindful of local laws and of course safety and common sense.  For example, here in Nebraska it is stated clearly that sporting events (and a lot of other places) are forbidden for concealed carry;  no guns allowed.  So, I don't carry in those places.  It's a fairly long list, including churches, schools, political gatherings, government buildings including post offices, etc.

I obey all restrictions, including if I see a "no guns allowed" sign on a retail door;  I'll return to my car and unload and place the weapon in a special lockable vault I have cabled to the frame of  the vehicle, then go into the place and ask for the manager.  I then inform the manager that I am law abiding and am unarmed, unlike criminals who will see their sign on the door as assurance that no body in there is capable of defending the place.  I've gotten varied reactions to this;  but mostly it's "that's company policy, I can't do anything about it."

How do you feel about those restrictions?  Some want that list pared down or even eliminated. 

I have no problem with the restrictions and support them.  I am a gun owner.  I hunt and use guns for sport and fun.  I have never felt the need to carry a gun.  But, if other people feel they need to and they go through the appropriate steps to do it legally, fine.  I just don't understand the need.  And...yes...thanks for abiding by the restrictions.

Two questions:

1)  Why do you feel the need to carry one.

and

2)  Why do you feel the need to ask for the manager everywhere you walk into to tell them you are unarmed?

• Plus1 2

I appreciate your diligence and awareness.   Lets say that not everybody is as responsible - whether thats buying a gun from another private owner and not registering it - not taking class - forgetting its on them while doing errends. THATs who I am worried about.  

i think you are likely not the norm and not what Id be concerned about.  

I would not be in favor of taking any of these requirements away.  id would be in favor of instilling national requirements that are the same regardless of state lines etc.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

My pov: If a person doesn't feel comfortable going shopping for groceries without a gun, it makes me very uncomfortable to see them shopping for groceries with a gun.

Thanks for being responsible though.

I don't feel any more "uncomfortable" about not having a gun on me than I would feel not having a fire extinguisher in the house, car, and garage;  it's about the very rare possibility of an emergency.  

Usually, at this point, the discussion turns to various irresponsible gun carriers and the statistics they cause.  I'm asking gun owners/carriers how they feel about the forbidden places.  Some states are whittling their lists down, lately to allow for carry in churches and by trained staff in schools. 

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I don't feel any more "uncomfortable" about not having a gun on me than I would feel not having a fire extinguisher in the house, car, and garage;  it's about the very rare possibility of an emergency.  

Usually, at this point, the discussion turns to various irresponsible gun carriers and the statistics they cause.  I'm asking gun owners/carriers how they feel about the forbidden places.  Some states are whittling their lists down, lately to allow for carry in churches and by trained staff in schools. 

Are you disappointed it hasn't?

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

My pov: If a person doesn't feel comfortable going shopping for groceries without a gun, it makes me very uncomfortable to see them shopping for groceries with a gun.

Thanks for being responsible though.

You won’t see it if it’s concealed.

Even if the person was “open “ carrying, what would you be worried about?  Do you get nervous being around police officers with guns?  

Not bagging on you, just curious. 

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Do you get nervous being around police officers with guns?

Police officers are public servants mandated to carry necessary weapons to keep the peace.

If I walk into a store and I see some random person with a gun, yes that makes me nervous. Why wouldn't it? I have no idea if that's a Good Guy With A Gun or a Bad Guy With A Gun.

• Plus1 5

I am for background checking and licensing gun owners to assure proper training has taken place. But I am generally against “gun free “ zones for one basic reason. They don’t make anyone safer. What are they trying to prevent?  Otherwise legal gun carriers from losing their minds and randomly start firing their guns because they can?  

I know it will come as a shocker to some people, but bank robbers and mass murderers don’t abide by the little “no firearms allowed “ sign. 

Excellent topic, by the way.  Nice break from the impeachment stuff. 

• Plus1 1