The Right to Carry a Gun

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Police officers are public servants mandated to carry necessary weapons to keep the peace.

If I walk into a store and I see some random person with a gun, yes that makes me nervous. Why wouldn't it? I have no idea if that's a Good Guy With A Gun or a Bad Guy With A Gun.

You are likely around concealed guns more frequently  than you care to know in these public places as the number of people in NE with CCW permits is >50,000 , IIRC. 

Have you ever heard of a “bad” guy walking around open carrying with gun in holster?  Not saying it doesn’t happen, but the criminals usually keep it concealed until they’re ready to commit their crime. 

21 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You won’t see it if it’s concealed.

Even if the person was “open “ carrying, what would you be worried about?  Do you get nervous being around police officers with guns?  

Not bagging on you, just curious. 

Why wouldn't I be at least a little on edge if I see just some random person with a gun?  Let's say they have it cancealed under a jacket and I catch a glimpse of it?

I have absolutely no clue if this person is trained, carrying it legally, a good guy or bad guy....etc.

I was once in a our local bar and a local police officer was in there (off duty).  I noticed that under his shirt, he had a gun.  Here he's a police officer and it made me a little uneasy seeing him sit there drinking a beer with a gun under his shirt.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

if I see a "no guns allowed" sign on a retail door;  I'll return to my car and unload and place the weapon in a special lockable vault I have cabled to the frame of  the vehicle, then go into the place and ask for the manager.  I then inform the manager that I am law abiding and am unarmed, unlike criminals who will see their sign on the door as assurance that no body in there is capable of defending the place.  I've gotten varied reactions to this;  but mostly it's "that's company policy, I can't do anything about it."

This is interesting to me - what is it that you expect them to say in reaction?  Do you ever take it up past the local management?  What is the end goal for you in bringing this up?  Have you ever decided to not go into an establishment because they make you and other patrons disarm?

(no snideness intended with the list of q's above, just curious on the thought behind it)

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why wouldn't I be at least a little on edge if I see just some random person with a gun?  Let's say they have it cancealed under a jacket and I catch a glimpse of it?

I have absolutely no clue if this person is trained, carrying it legally, a good guy or bad guy....etc.

I was once in a our local bar and a local police officer was in there (off duty).  I noticed that under his shirt, he had a gun.  Here he's a police officer and it made me a little uneasy seeing him sit there drinking a beer with a gun under his shirt.

Ok, I’ll offer this question. 

How would you feel if a disgruntled ex-employee  of your local bar shows up with his AR-15 meaning to kill everyone there?  Would you still be uneasy about the off duty cop carrying his gun?

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

You are likely around concealed guns more frequently  than you care to know in these public places as the number of people in NE with CCW permits is >50,000 , IIRC. 

Have you ever heard of a “bad” guy walking around open carrying with gun in holster?  Not saying it doesn’t happen, but the criminals usually keep it concealed until they’re ready to commit their crime. 

The question was whether I would be nervous seeing a Cop carry a weapon in public. CC is a completely different story. And no, CC doesn't make me feel any better or safer.

Just now, NM11046 said:

This is interesting to me - what is it that you expect them to say in reaction?  Do you ever take it up past the local management?  What is the end goal for you in bringing this up?  Have you ever decided to not go into an establishment because they make you and other patrons disarm?

(no snideness intended with the list of q's above, just curious on the thought behind it)

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll give you my take. I would just choose to not patronize those businesses. That simple. 

9 minutes ago, QMany said:

Some want more restrictions, like enrolling in a well regulated Militia. 

I part company with the NRA and it's strange interpretation of the 2nd amendment.  I think that the majority of gun owners are fine with it.  But that may be another thread.  I'm posting an honest query about people's thoughts about the Nebraska concealed carry restrictions.

Just now, Decoy73 said:

You didn’t ask me, but I’ll give you my take. I would just choose to not patronize those businesses. That simple. 

Interesting - would be really interesting to see the clientel shifts (or not) if every business had to post whether they allowed CC or not.      And also to see who thrived in that environment and who would go belly up.

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

At an older Quick Stop gas station/convenience place on South Street in Lincoln (and two shops in Omaha) the response was to ignore the sign (in different words).  One lady said it was "about insurance."  The guy running the place in Omaha said "thanks for having my back, I'll take it down after talking to other employees."  

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The question was whether I would be nervous seeing a Cop carry a weapon in public. CC is a completely different story. And no, CC doesn't make me feel any better or safer.

CCW is here to stay so we need to be smart about it and accept it. In a perfect world only police and military would have combat weapons (pistols, Rifles, etc). But that horse left the barn decades ago. 

Just now, Decoy73 said:

CCW is here to stay so we need to be smart about it and accept it. In a perfect world only police and military would have combat weapons (pistols, Rifles, etc). But that horse left the barn decades ago. 

Agreed. It would take a revolution to change that part of American culture, and nobody wants that.

I'm aware Nebraska is a Concealed Carry state, and that I'm probably walking around people carrying nearly every day. It's fine, I don't dwell on it, mostly because I know 99.99% of gun owners are fine decent citizens.  I don't like it or want it, but then I don't like or want Rap music to exist, yet there it is. :D

Since we’re on this topic, it gives me an opportunity to get on my soapbox  for a moment about CCW. 

Attention all CCW permit holders:

PLEASE, don’t “pocket “ carry with a chambered round!!

I get that it’s perhaps more comfortable or convenient than appendix or hip carry, but you are potentially pointing the barrel at others every time you are in a seated position!!  This is an unacceptable practice in my opinion. 

Ok. Now I’m off the soapbox. Thank you for listening.