The Right to Carry a Gun

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

I guess just be confused, or DM me if anyone wants to discuss it further.  I don't have the time or patience to play the thread tailspin game for rep.  It's a conversation I I genuinely want to have, but an honest one.

Why don't you actually type out what you want to discuss then, because all of us are extremely confused with what you actually are looking to discuss... First I thought it was an alarmist video on the Virginia law, then it was a conspiracy about gun nuts going crazy and using their guns, now it's how the media manipulates everyone.

So what do you really want to talk about.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Redux said:

I guess just be confused, or DM me if anyone wants to discuss it further.  I don't have the time or patience to play the thread tailspin game for rep.  It's a conversation I I genuinely want to have, but an honest one.

I think we are all trying to be constructive.  No one is being disrespectful.  It's just when we tried to have the conversation, you said that isn't what you meant and accused people of twisting words...

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I think we are all trying to be constructive.

I can think of one poster who isn't 

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No one is being disrespectful.

Some would say the tinfoil hat comment is intentionally disrespectful, even though I found it funny.

16 minutes ago, funhusker said:

It's just when we tried to have the conversation, you said that isn't what you meant and accused people of twisting words...

Because that's what happened.  Intentional or not, I've had that happen several times before.  Then the topic is so far off hand from what I was actually trying to discuss it's just not worth it.  It's pretty clear I was responding to knapps fear mongering story comment since I quoted that and responded directly to that.  Nowhere did I say anyone was trying to change gun laws to get a rise out of the gun nuts, but that's what fanatic inferred.

I'll put it like this.  I brought that conspiracy video because I immediately rolled my eyes at it and thought many of the posters here would love to tear that thing apart.  I'm typically on the other side of these conversations for the sake of balance so it feels like many are assuming I believed the video's narrative.  That's not the case.  Self funded media is all narrative based and plays off fears and what people want to hear.  That's why I largely ignore it until brought to my attention like this one was.

I'm on board with the proposed changes, if that's all they are.  The fear is the changes aren't stopping there from what I'm gleaning.  I came here to get some more context on the issue as a whole.

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

Some would say the tinfoil hat comment is intentionally disrespectful, even though I found it funny.

Because that's what happened.  Intentional or not, I've had that happen several times before.  Then the topic is so far off hand from what I was actually trying to discuss it's just not worth it.  It's pretty clear I was responding to knapps fear mongering story comment since I quoted that and responded directly to that.  Nowhere did I say anyone was trying to change gun laws to get a rise out of the gun nuts, but that's what fanatic inferred.

I'll put it like this.  I brought that conspiracy video because I immediately rolled my eyes at it and thought many of the posters here would love to tear that thing apart.  I'm typically on the other side of these conversations for the sake of balance so it feels like many are assuming I believed the video's narrative.  That's not the case.  Self funded media is all narrative based and plays off fears and what people want to hear.  That's why I largely ignore it until brought to my attention like this one was.

I'm on board with the proposed changes, if that's all they are.  The fear is the changes aren't stopping there from what I'm gleaning.  I came here to get some more context on the issue as a whole.

Trust me, we would love to!!!  

And you're right, I think we just assumed that since this was a thread about "right to carry" that you were presenting the video in that light.  Apologies.

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

I simply asked about your "mainstream media" comment.

@Redux I will admit, i misinterpreted your post. That's because it is confusing and far fetched. I'm honestly asking what you are trying to say there because in any context it's pretty ridiculous. Who is trying to rile up the gun nuts into taking action that would result in grounds for disarmament? The fear mongering articles are all coming from the far right.

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

@Redux I will admit, i misinterpreted your post. That's because it is confusing and far fetched.

Then nothing I say is going to change that opinion.  I think the Right spins these changes into exaggerations to get the nuts riled up.  Simple as that, I think everyone would agree on that.  I think the Left does the same but in a different way,  in the hopes there is an overreaction that can be exploited.  Call me crazy all you want on that opinion.  Stuff like that happens all the time.  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Then nothing I say is going to change that opinion.  I think the Right spins these changes into exaggerations to get the nuts riled up.  Simple as that, I think everyone would agre on that.  I think the Left does the same but in a different way,  in the hopes there is an overreaction tht can be exploited.  Call me crazy all you want on that opinion.  Stuff like that happens all the time.  

So you really think the goal of these articles is to get people to do something as significant as taking the governor hostage? Why would that be the goal for a right wing publication? That doesn't seem far fetched to you? I'm sorry to be asking all of these questions but you can't say things like you did in that post and not expect to be challenged on it.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you really think the goal of these articles is to get people to do something as significant as taking the governor hostage? Why would that be the goal for a right wing publication? That doesn't seem far fetched to you? I'm sorry to be asking all of these questions but you can't say things like you did in that post and not expect to be challenged on it.

That was the keyboard threat mentioned in the article....

I was just using it as hypothetical 

:facepalm:

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

That was the keyboard threat mentioned in the article....

I was just using it as hypothetical 

:facepalm:

The article I posted? Those quotes are from actual people in response to the laws that have been written. Your hypothetical is that some news source is fear mongering to get nuts to do something crazy so there are grounds for disarmament is it not? But the only side doing the fear mongering is the right so that theory just doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to be obtuse here just really trying to make sense of the point. 

34 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The article I posted? Those quotes are from actual people in response to the laws that have been written. Your hypothetical is that some news source is fear mongering to get nuts to do something crazy so there are grounds for disarmament is it not? But the only side doing the fear mongering is the right so that theory just doesn't make sense to me. Not trying to be obtuse here just really trying to make sense of the point. 

You're most certainly over thinking this.