The Right to Carry a Gun

So top line research - it's not easy to find solid NRA numbers.  

Corporations can not donate toward their political actions, that has to come thru PACs, so that's harder to trace.  I can find annual spending on election years, but it doesn't really divvy things up.

Didn't know Mike Bloomberg founded Every town for gun Saftey.  He seeded/s it but they had 350k individual donors in 2017.   Also Moms Demand Action works with that group - smart cooperation.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90233606/the-anti-gun-violence-movement-is-catching-up-to-nra-funding

According to recent research by Goss, four leading gun rights groups and their charitable affiliates took in about $437 million in 2016. Conversely, six prominent gun violence prevention groups and their charitable affiliates tallied nearly $95 million, just 22% of their opponents’ haul. That difference is narrowing–Goss’s research shows a decade ago, gun violence prevention groups brought in less than 3% of the cash of their counterparts–but it is still a significant gap.

The numbers are counterintuitive. Pew’s findings tell us 19% of gun owners belong to the NRA. This would translate to 13 million American adults, but even the NRA generally touts their membership rolls at around 6 million, and many argue those numbers are inflated 

And do their efforts and success suggest that perhaps it's not all about money?

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/09/moms-demand-action-guns-madd-shannon-watts-nra/

• Plus1 1

On 1/10/2020 at 10:02 AM, commando said:

i read the article.    the only law that they are actually enacting is limiting people to buying only 1 handgun per month.    wow......that is really stomping on gun rights.   :facepalm:

I guess i would counter that with what if the government said you could only drink one pepsi per week, because thats healthier for you.  

Just now, Stone Cold said:

I guess i would counter that with what if the government said you could only drink one pepsi per week, because thats healthier for you.  

if those pepsis could be used to mass murder people there might be a comparison.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stone Cold said:

Neither do the guns, its the people holding them.

how many guns does everyone need?   1 gun a month would seem to be plenty.   they do last awhile you know.   and handguns are tools made for killing people.   not deer or pheasants.   

And to be clear I'm well aware of peoples tendency to murder other people. I understand guns or not that will never change. But the argument guns don't kill people people do is really dumb to me. Sure, that is sorta true, but guns make killing people exponentially easier. 

• Plus1 1

Okay, “guns are tools”...

Tools for home defense, hunting, etc.  That isn’t a good argument against the “one per month” law.

I have one table saw because that’s all I need.  I have one snowblower. I have one lawnmower. I have one router table.  I have one shop vac. You get the point...

• Plus1 1