The Right to Carry a Gun

this is from an article posted earlier.   the 1 gun per month limit actually has good results,  it helps reduce gun crime and still gives everyone a chance to own guns for self defense

The first is a one-handgun-per-a-month purchase limit. This is nothing new — it actually was law in Virginia from 1993 until 2012, when the Republican dominated General Assembly repealed it.

Lawmakers first enacted the limit after authorities in New York City and Washington, D.C., realized a large proportion of handguns used by criminals in those jurisdictions originated in the Old Dominion.

Although that law probably cost Virginia gun dealers some multi-handgun sales to straw buyers, the sky didn’t fall during the 19 years the limit was in effect. Has anyone heard a legitimate statistic showing that law prevented gun owners from defending themselves?

But something positive did result. Two years after enactment, the State Crime Commission found Virginia was no longer the No. 1 originating source of illegally trafficked handguns in some East Coast cities. The commonwealth moved down to the eighth position — a step in the right direction.

https://www.roanoke.com/news/casey-don-t-believe-the-scaremongering-on-gun-legislation/article_2461b1d9-efb8-5486-b2c8-1aaed13252bb.html

15 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

For me the gun is used as a easly weapon to kill as anyone else.  Yes its intended purpose is to hurl various types of lead through the air at high velocity.  But there are many things that can be use for that reason.  Honestly nothing being said here is new

There's a million things that can be used to hurt people, but very few were created with that in mind. Guns have been crafted and perfected for this purpose for centuries. There is a big difference between an object that can kill and an object created for that purpose. They should be treated as such. 

All of this said, my opinion on the matter is to be taken with a grain of salt. I am not shy about my dislike of firearms. I'd be happy if they never existed. I love to hunt and fish but I have used a bow for years. 

• Plus1 2

1 gun per month is a perfectly acceptable law adjustment.

It's the wording of the "ban of assault style firearms" and the fed flag law that have people freaking out.  The way the law is put into text can be EASILY manipulated to seize firearms from pretty much anyone for the smallest of reason.

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

The point for me not being told what to do.  If im a law abiding citizen, follow my ps and qs then it doesnt matter how many guns i have.  

I never see people who say this also give an idea on how to prevent gun violence and mass shootings and why those things are so much worse in the US than any other developed country. 

• Plus1 4

5 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Neither do the guns, its the people holding them.

This is an argument that's easy to debunk if you just apply that same logic to other things designed to kill:

Neither do the nuclear weapons, its the people using them.

Neither do the IEDs, its the people using them.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a law abiding gun owner, I must say.....these people just look stupid.  What an embarrassment.

yeah...i have a 12 gauge and a .22.   never bought a rifle as i have plenty of access to them when i deer hunt.   a nd have never felt that the government is coming for my guns.   .   those fools are being played by the gun lobby.   

• Plus1 3

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As a law abiding gun owner, I must say.....these people just look stupid.  What an embarrassment.

12 minutes ago, commando said:

yeah...i have a 12 gauge and a .22.   never bought a rifle as i have plenty of access to them when i deer hunt.   a nd have never felt that the government is coming for my guns.   .   those fools are being played by the gun lobby.   

I realize it's cold there, but I love how half of these supposed "law-abiding" gun owners feel the need to cover their faces. What are they afraid of?

16 minutes ago, commando said:

yeah...i have a 12 gauge and a .22.   never bought a rifle as i have plenty of access to them when i deer hunt. 

By the wording of the VA law change, you would not legally be allowed to borrow a weapon.

2 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

I realize it's cold there, but I love how half of these supposed "law-abiding" gun owners feel the need to cover their faces. What are they afraid of?

I'm guessing frost bite