The Right to Carry a Gun

First off...no one carries a gun to "handle a bad situation"...you carry a gun in your holster because it makes you feel like a bad a$$, I get it, we all get it.  But none of you that carry are going to "save the day" and that is not saying you suck at shooting or are not a hero it just means that you won't.  You know why?  Because if you are at a store and someone comes in and says "THIS IS A ROBBERY!" you are not grabbing your gun and start to "Make his day", you are going to hide or get down or run, like everyone else that is in the situation.  Because you are normal.  I think guns are lame but holding one is cool as f#&%!  I could only imagine how it would feel to walk around with one in your holster...it would feel awesome.

You know who the badasses are though?  The dudes that don't pack heat and break up a robbery.  

Secondly, if you visit so many places that you are constantly in fear for your life, you should move.  Or find new hangouts.  

I get having them at home...maybe even in your car.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

First off...no one carries a gun to "handle a bad situation"...you carry a gun in your holster because it makes you feel like a bad a$$, I get it, we all get it.  But none of you that carry are going to "save the day" and that is not saying you suck at shooting or are not a hero it just means that you won't.  You know why?  Because if you are at a store and someone comes in and says "THIS IS A ROBBERY!" you are not grabbing your gun and start to "Make his day", you are going to hide or get down or run, like everyone else that is in the situation.  Because you are normal.  I think guns are lame but holding one is cool as f#&%!  I could only imagine how it would feel to walk around with one in your holster...it would feel awesome.

You know who the badasses are though?  The dudes that don't pack heat and break up a robbery.  

Secondly, if you visit so many places that you are constantly in fear for your life, you should move.  Or find new hangouts.  

I get having them at home...maybe even in your car.

Some may want to know they stand a chance if faced with a mass shooter. 

I agree that there is a lot of over-paranoia out there with needing to carry a gun.  This is in part fueled by the NRA and is one reason they don’t get my support. 

29 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Since we’re on this topic, it gives me an opportunity to get on my soapbox  for a moment about CCW. 

Attention all CCW permit holders:

PLEASE, don’t “pocket “ carry with a chambered round!!

I get that it’s perhaps more comfortable or convenient than appendix or hip carry, but you are potentially pointing the barrel at others every time you are in a seated position!!  This is an unacceptable practice in my opinion. 

Ok. Now I’m off the soapbox. Thank you for listening.  

The fact that you even have to say this to people who are legally permitted and trained to conceal carry is exactly what makes me nervous about those people.  :facepalm:

My personal feeling is that people who open carry are by and large tools. If it makes you feel bigger in the pants, then I guess that's what you need. Obviously I don't see you if it's concealed, but it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy either.

The odds that you will need to use that weapon aren't worth the effort of strapping it on. Do you wear a crash helmet everytime you get into a vehicle? Do you have a 5 point harness in your car? How about changing the batteries on your smoke detector regularly? Why not?

All my friends back home hunt and I enjoy shooting clay's with them, but none of those guys feel any need to carry.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

You won’t see it if it’s concealed.

Even if the person was “open “ carrying, what would you be worried about?  Do you get nervous being around police officers with guns?  

Not bagging on you, just curious. 

Actually, if we have to have the right to carry a weapon in public, I'd be more in support of "open" carry.  It allows me to see who is armed and where their weapon is.  I also think it would be a much better deterrent against criminals since they could see armed people in the store or restaurant before they come in and rob or shoot up the place.

Guns don't make me nervous.  Stupid people with guns make me nervous.

13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Some may want to know they stand a chance if faced with a mass shooter. 

I agree that there is a lot of over-paranoia out there with needing to carry a gun.  This is in part fueled by the NRA and is one reason they don’t get my support. 

Yeah, I can't argue that, if there was a mass shooter I would rather have a gun with me then not have one.  

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Ok, I’ll offer this question. 

How would you feel if a disgruntled ex-employee  of your local bar shows up with his AR-15 meaning to kill everyone there?  Would you still be uneasy about the off duty cop carrying his gun?

What percentage of mass shootings are stopped by a random person carrying a gun?

Ill now remind you of the FBI agent who was dancing, drunk, dropped his gun and shot someone. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The fact that you even have to say this to people who are legally permitted and trained to conceal carry is exactly what makes me nervous about those people.  :facepalm:

I agree. We as a society need to be smarter with guns in general.  

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What percentage of mass shootings are stopped by a random person carrying a gun?

Ill now remind you of the FBI agent who was dancing, drunk, dropped his gun and shot someone. 

No data exists on your question.  But using the scenario I previously described, would you rather be in bar A with no off duty cop?  Or bar B with the armed “good guy”?  Please assume no drunk, dancing FBI agents are present. 

You do an excellent job illustrating that police officers can be careless with firearms too.  

Just now, Decoy73 said:

No data exists on your question.  But using the scenario I previously described, would you rather be in bar A with no off duty cop?  Or bar B with the armed “good guy”?  Please assume no drunk, dancing FBI agents are present. 

You do an excellent job illustrating that police officers can be careless with firearms too.  

I would rather just use a friend as a human shield.  

Then when he is hit and dead and everyone else is dead and I am alive under my dead friend...I will tell the reporters I did all I could to save people...I will be a hero!  And no one could refute my story.

• Haha 2