The Right to Carry a Gun

23 minutes ago, commando said:

i can remember when you didn't have to be armed to go to church and school.

I miss those days too. It’s hard to feel truly safe anywhere.  Armed or not.  It’s sad, but unfortunately it’s what we, as a country have done to ourselves. 

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I miss those days too. It’s hard to feel truly safe anywhere.  Armed or not.  It’s sad, but unfortunately it’s what we, as a country have done to ourselves. 

my theory is that our country got there when we started to worship guns rather than having them as tools. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Doesn’t seem like that to me. 

But, two people died. 

How can that be prevented?

It can't.  People are violent by nature.  I'm glad one bad person was stopped by a few good ones before they could do much much more harm.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Redux said:

Seems like you're choosing to ignore that it saved hundreds of lives.

Not really. I'm pointing out, that in my opinion, the solution to the problem isn't more guns. The security are the ones who killed the shooter, and one of them is also dead. Most of the parishioners carrying didn't even draw until after the shooter was down. 

Maybe I'm naive, but the rest of the world can get along with out having the same magnitude of gun violence that we do. There's got to be a better answer than just more guns.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Not really. I'm pointing out, that in my opinion, the solution to the problem isn't more guns. The security are the ones who killed the shooter, and one of them is also dead. Most of the parishioners carrying didn't even draw until after the shooter was down. 

Maybe I'm naive, but the rest of the world can get along with out having the same magnitude of gun violence that we do. There's got to be a better answer than just more guns.

we need to start putting tanks in the schoolyards to deter shooters.   

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then why do so many other countries have so many fewer violent people?

This is a good question and I have always wondered if it is because we don't punish as harsh as other places.  It seems like other countries really punish gun crimes...but I could be wrong about that and maybe it just seems that way.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

This is a good question and I have always wondered if it is because we don't punish as harsh as other places.  It seems like other countries really punish gun crimes...but I could be wrong about that and maybe it just seems that way.

If someone commits murder, they go to prison for a long time. 

People who commit these types of murders almost always die at the scene. 

How do we increase the punishment?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If someone commits murder, they go to prison for a long time. 

People who commit these types of murders almost always die at the scene. 

How do we increase the punishment?

How do we increase punishment for crimes that people commit with guns?

Or do you just mean in these particular type of shootings at schools/churches/stores?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whatever it would take to be at the level other countries are at with gun violence. 

Man, I don't know.

I suppose we could do things like...having an unregistered (is that the term) gun = execution

Having your gun get into the hands of another person = 25 years in prison 

Committing any crime with a gun = execution

Selling a gun to a person that has committed a crime = 100 years in prison (I honestly have no clue who can or can't buy guns so again, just tossing out ideas here.  I don't know if people with records can buy guns)

I would imagine they would have to be really harsh.