New Nebraska Recruiting Record

BIG ERN

10 hours ago, lo country said:

To have this highly rated of a class after two losing seasons, let's me know that Frost and Co have a vision that isn't being shared with the fans and media.  I am good with that.  Great job by the staff. 

Just can't wait to see how recruiting goes when we are having winning records.  Winning solves a lot of things.  Bama, Clemson, OSU get the recruit funnel going their way because winning draws.  If Frost can build this kind of class with our 2 year record, imagine what he and the assistant coaches can do once they win, 8,9,10,11 games per year. 

• Plus1 2

16 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

For you recruiting gurus, what would a 5-star done to our recruiting rankings?  Also, were we even in the room with any of the 5-stars this year?

If we had added the number 1 player in the country this year it would have moved our class up to 15th overall from 20th currently.

The OT we signed, Turner Corcoran, is a borderline 5 star and some think he could be a 5 star after all the final updates and such. Other than him I don't remember any 5 stars that really considered us. 

23 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

For you recruiting gurus, what would a 5-star done to our recruiting rankings?  Also, were we even in the room with any of the 5-stars this year?

Not sure but fwiw, if I remember right analysts were saying there were only 28 five stars this cycle, Corcoran was rated 38th overall I believe so it’s not like we aren’t even close.  Betts as well was a 6.0 4*.  One more upgrade and they are both 5* recruits.

34 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Not sure but fwiw, if I remember right analysts were saying there were only 28 five stars this cycle, Corcoran was rated 38th overall I believe so it’s not like we aren’t even close.  Betts as well was a 6.0 4*.  One more upgrade and they are both 5* recruits.

That begs the question - what is the measurements that bumps a 4 star recruit to a 5 star? How much is it subjective if any?

2 hours ago, KCBuc said:

i hope the learning curve isn’t too steep for the JUCOs. Frost will really earn his money to get these guys ready quickly. 

Their record with JUCOs & transfers so far has been... not great. Greg Bell bailed after just a few games. His former teammate Jaron Woodyard redshirted this year. Vaha Vainuku only played a couple snaps against Bethune-Cookman last year, and didn't play at all this year. Kanawai Noa and Mike Williams were barely heard from - hardly the Stanley Morgan replacement we badly needed. On the other hand, Darrion Daniels and Dedrick Mills were two of the most important players on this year's team. Honas is a decent contributor, and Deontai Williams could be too, if he gets healthy.

6 minutes ago, Toe said:

Their record with JUCOs & transfers so far has been... not great. Greg Bell bailed after just a few games. His former teammate Jaron Woodyard redshirted this year. Vaha Vainuku only played a couple snaps against Bethune-Cookman last year, and didn't play at all this year. Kanawai Noa and Mike Williams were barely heard from - hardly the Stanley Morgan replacement we badly needed. On the other hand, Darrion Daniels and Dedrick Mills were two of the most important players on this year's team. Honas is a decent contributor, and Deontai Williams could be too, if he gets healthy.

I don't think it's fair to say Kanawai was barely heard from - it took longer than expected for him to show up on that stat sheet in a meaningful way, but he was contributing a lot. But you're right, a few too many misses for sure. I don't even really count Vaha, he was clearly just an extra body that they thought had a chance of helping out. I don't think expectations were high there.

A couple thoughts: I’m thrilled with our 2020 class - very impressive haul after a disappointing season. 

The coaches can use the “we’re building something”/ “we need you to turn this program around” sales points right now so that’s good. I hope our coaches can develop these players because those sales points won’t really work in a few years.

After seeing the drama with Jaiden Francois unfold, I think the contract extension given to Frost earlier this year was a really good move to help secure these guys.

As for the JUCO's I could see Mauga-Clements being an immediate force. Something about that guy makes me think he is going to be a major player. I am also hopeful about Riley and Payne. They are just big bodies and at the very very least they provide needed depth on that DLine. 

As for recruits, one I can't wait to see develop is Jimari Butler.  6'5 217, that development in the weight room is going to be great to see! Tons of potential with that guy. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think it's fair to say Kanawai was barely heard from - it took longer than expected for him to show up on that stat sheet in a meaningful way, but he was contributing a lot.

Thing is, he was a grad transfer. When you take a guy with just one year of eligibility, you expect him to be an immediate contributor because the clock is ticking, right? If he didn't show up for the first half of the season, that's half of his eligibility wasted. I mean if your offense gets shut out in the first half of the game, it might not matter if they're playing better in the second half - by then it's probably too late.

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, Toe said:

With any program, JUCOs are going to be more of a crap shoot than your typical HS player.  They are in a JUCO for a reason.  Now, some will come out with a chip on their shoulder and prove they never should have been there.  But, some won't accomplish that for many reasons from, physical talent, grades, want to, work ethic....etc.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Looks like a great class. I’m just wondering if we got enough linemen?

We took in 11 combined last year.  an average of 7 - 8 per year is about right.  We had to go heavy last year due to the lack of talent and depth on the line.  We should be sitting great right now albeit a little green in depth.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

With any program, JUCOs are going to be more of a crap shoot than your typical HS player.  They are in a JUCO for a reason.  Now, some will come out with a chip on their shoulder and prove they never should have been there.  But, some won't accomplish that for many reasons from, physical talent, grades, want to, work ethic....etc.

This is very true, however I feel like the quality of JUCO kids we got this year are better as a whole then the ones we had last year. JUCO kids are going to be a need for the next few years until the staff can completely right the ship. JUCO kids were instrumental to Bill Snyder turning KSU from bottom dweller to legit title contender.