New Nebraska Recruiting Record

BIG ERN

17 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Rivals was the standard in 2009. 247 didn't even have a rating for him on their own if you click his link on the page you listed.  The composite is a combination of the other services, one of which is Rivals where you can clearly see he was rated with 4 stars, meaning on at least one service he was a 4 star recruit.  That's typically how it goes unless you hear "consensus 4 star recruit" meaning all services agree.  In this case all the services didn't even rate him like they probably would have today. 

12 hours ago, runningblind said:

Rivals was the standard in 2009. 247 didn't even have a rating for him on their own if you click his link on the page you listed.  The composite is a combination of the other services, one of which is Rivals where you can clearly see he was rated with 4 stars, meaning on at least one service he was a 4 star recruit.  That's typically how it goes unless you hear "consensus 4 star recruit" meaning all services agree.  In this case all the services didn't even rate him like they probably would have today. 

Understand that, but my comment was after this the 247 link was posted in this link. Do these services state how they come to their star rating? I’m not a member of either so I can only see the superficial stuff. My thought is there is so much money in providing these prep services while kids are in HS that I wonder if they could be biased. Can parents outright buy stars? Because if they could, they would

But really my point was the star system was off on Rex Burkhead. With every thing he did in college and to date in the NFL, he’s a 5 star no matter what rating service is used. I would put him in our top 10  best players- or at least try to argue it. 

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Understand that, but my comment was after this the 247 link was posted in this link. Do these services state how they come to their star rating? I’m not a member of either so I can only see the superficial stuff. My thought is there is so much money in providing these prep services while kids are in HS that I wonder if they could be biased. Can parents outright buy stars? Because if they could, they would

But really my point was the star system was off on Rex Burkhead. With every thing he did in college and to date in the NFL, he’s a 5 star no matter what rating service is used. I would put him in our top 10  best players- or at least try to argue it. 

Obtaining a higher ranking definitely has attending camps, publicizing all offers and waiting to commit factors in.  Kids who commit early and don't announce all their big offers will be rated lower than someone who does the opposite.  Each service has their own method as well,  which is why they don't always agree.

Lower rated recruits can turn into 5 star players and there are misses with rankings for sure.

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Obtaining a higher ranking definitely has attending camps, publicizing all offers and waiting to commit factors in.  Kids who commit early and don't announce all their big offers will be rated lower than someone who does the opposite.  Each service has their own method as well,  which is why they don't always agree.

Lower rated recruits can turn into 5 star players and there are misses with rankings for sure.

When do they turn into 5 stars? Like after college? 

your explanation is helpful and confirms that not full confidence of a recruit, or a recruiting class, should be placed on the number of stars. Using Rex again, it’s hard to place a value on  being “ball player“, which is my highest level of praise for any athlete. It just means being smart and tough. Rex is my poster player for being a ball player. 

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

When do they turn into 5 stars? Like after college? 

your explanation is helpful and confirms that not full confidence of a recruit, or a recruiting class, should be placed on the number of stars. Using Rex again, it’s hard to place a value on  being “ball player“, which is my highest level of praise for any athlete. It just means being smart and tough. Rex is my poster player for being a ball player. 

There are a small number (30) of kids ranked as 5 star recruits each year coming out of high school.   I was just saying some players like Rex play above their star ranking as you suggest with being a "ball player". The actual rankings from services don't change. After college they would get rated by the NFL as a prospect though. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I wouldn't look down my nose at this record.   To me it's the first clear hint at things could potentially be moving in the right direction.

The trick is to string together 4-5 classes like that in a row.

If Frost recruits in the Top 15-20 range again in 2021, not only will he have the best four year run in recruiting since the 90's but we'll have the most talented and more importantly most balanced roster of talent that we've had since we were playing for a National Championship. Me likey.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

If Frost recruits in the Top 15-20 range again in 2021, not only will he have the best four year run in recruiting since the 90's but we'll have the most talented and more importantly most balanced roster of talent that we've had since we were playing for a National Championship. Me likey.

Certainly. His initial class doesn't look as good today, but his first full cycle he knocked it out of the park and he has only continued that success this year. I think if we start winning some games we will be able to recruit top 15 year in year out. If we do that, watch out!

1 hour ago, NUance said:

That's a cool part of 247 that I've never seen before.  Interesting to see how this year's commits stack up in the all time list.  Pretty high, actually.  

Unfortunately it’s not an “all time”. It’s from when that rating system was started. 

So, this is during a period that Nebraska hasn’t  been very good. 

I believe that’s in large part because the players towards the top of the list didn’t pan out. 

On 12/28/2019 at 3:07 PM, Landlord said:

I was curious how you were defining "balanced," just for discussion's sake.

This may not have been at all what you meant, but just some scattered thoughts: One of the reasons I believe that we've sucked so bad the past two seasons is because there weren't good offensive line recruits that really panned out in the '15, '16, '17, and '18 classes. That then started to change with Frost's second class ('19) and again in this one.

I think we could have gotten away with this better in terms of the W/L column if we were still playing in the Big 12 where the quality of defenses (at least in my opinion) is markedly lower than in the B1G. I think that the class averages of '15-'18 was dragged up by skill players - but in the B1G, if you had the choice you'd probably want it the other way around where you're top heavy on linemen versus skill players.

Frost is now finding that balance and the high quality offensive line recruits are piling in. Then and only then does your team start really trending up in the Big 10 IMO.

• Plus1 3