2020 Recruiting Grade

I would give the class ba solid A. Needed a big WR and got a good one in Manning. Needed help at LB and picked up several potential contributors. OT, got one of the highest rated ones and picked up a CSU transfer that started as a freshman. We missed on a couple, but got 10 4*s. All this after a losing record. That's a great hull all things considered.

• Plus1 4

This is tough for me as it feels like we got a lot of good guys, yet we will finish around 20 or 22 most likely in the final team rankings.  Here is a summary of the last 4 classes we had.

2016-26th

2017-23rd

2018-23rd

2019-18th

So simply looking at the composite rankings, we are in the ballpark of where we have been for 4 years plus, and we are still struggling to win games.  But I feel we got some speed and size we have not seen in a while. I would give the class a B+

• Plus1 1

I like the class but if we give an A then are we saying we can't go higher?  Let's not limit ourselves.  I give it a B+ as we finished at #18.  Been saying on this board forever we need to be in Top 15 to start playing for championships and that is where I would give an A, so we are close and this is definitely the right direction.  I don't like it that North Carolina (a basketball school is finishing ahead of us as a blue blood football program).  Was glad to see us beat Texas (and was also interesting Mack Brown and North Carolina beat Texas).  Tennessee is a bit of a head-scratcher as to how they finished that high.  Thought Washington might come down as well by losing Petersen.  Call me biased but we should be beating the TN's and WA's.  We are not currently but need to be in the future.  

Interesting Maryland and Purdue finished ahead of Wisconsin.  Baylor and VA Tech struck me as oddly low.  USC has fallen off the map.  Now is the time to come into SoCal and grab some talent.  Helton is a lame duck.  I live out here and don't think I have heard anyone who thought retaining him was a good idea.  Many pointed to the lackluster recruiting as further evidence he needed to be gone.  Twitter of Matt Leinart...

k6SV2KpL_normal.jpg
Usc recruiting?? Wow!

Oregon is the new Usc in recruiting on the West Coast... back in my day no one dared to recruit So Cal. Now it’s open season and Oregon is hunting!

I think going by position group. Overall, I'd give this class a B+. I went lower than others because Nebraska went in heavily on JUCOs. 

Offense overall: A-, addressed needs at WR and brought in talent at most positions. 

QB - B+, got a great 4* QB. 

WR - A+, not sure if Nebraska could've realistically done a better job. Brought in talent and numbers here.

OL - B, headlined by an amazing OT. Low numbers for this years take keeps the grade lower.

RB - B+, got two really good backs.

TE - N/A, did not take a recruit this year. 

Defense: B, Nebraska brought in a few very talented players, but several others will take time to develop. Also went heavily into JUCOs to fill holes.

DL - B-, took some good DTs but they will have to redshirt.

DE - C+, Nebraska uses DEs differently than other teams since we're in a 3-4. Didn't find high end talent here.

LBs - B+, Nebraska took a lot of numbers here. But went heavy on JUCOs. Along with WR, this was a position of emphasis. Hopefully any of them can rush a QB.

S - A, took two very highly touted players here.

CB - D+, Nebraska's two lowest rated players this class. They will both likely redshirt and will need time to develop. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, chamrocck said:

I like the class but if we give an A then are we saying we can't go higher?  Let's not limit ourselves.  I give it a B+ as we finished at #18.  Been saying on this board forever we need to be in Top 15 to start playing for championships and that is where I would give an A, so we are close and this is definitely the right direction.  I don't like it that North Carolina (a basketball school is finishing ahead of us as a blue blood football program).  Was glad to see us beat Texas (and was also interesting Mack Brown and North Carolina beat Texas).  Tennessee is a bit of a head-scratcher as to how they finished that high.  Thought Washington might come down as well by losing Petersen.  Call me biased but we should be beating the TN's and WA's.  We are not currently but need to be in the future.  

Interesting Maryland and Purdue finished ahead of Wisconsin.  Baylor and VA Tech struck me as oddly low.  USC has fallen off the map.  Now is the time to come into SoCal and grab some talent.  Helton is a lame duck.  I live out here and don't think I have heard anyone who thought retaining him was a good idea.  Many pointed to the lackluster recruiting as further evidence he needed to be gone.  Twitter of Matt Leinart...

k6SV2KpL_normal.jpg
Usc recruiting?? Wow!

Oregon is the new Usc in recruiting on the West Coast... back in my day no one dared to recruit So Cal. Now it’s open season and Oregon is hunting!

Only thing I can think of here is that obviously Tennessee smack dab in the middle of a recruiting hotbed. Now...same can be said for USC and look how that turned out..so your point is definitely valid. Tennessee has the ability to pull kids from Alabama, Georgia, The Carolinas, Florida, Kentucky, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri and still be close to being one state away for kids that want to stay close to home. Think of how many top end recruits are in those states and still can play close-is to home. 

The odd thing is after all of their head coaching issues last couple years, didn't effect them one bit in recruiting..

I have to grade our 2020 recruiting class a solid A. That’s not to say it can’t get better in the future but, considering where this program has been the last quite a few years and where it is currently, I can’t imagine they could have done any better of job at this time. Filled positions of need very well and sought out and acquired some immediate juco help. Signed a bunch of speed, hit Florida hard (and that can’t be a bad thing), locked down most all of the in state talent and got 10 four stars (the most ever for the program).

Of course it’s all subjective and there are no rules to this grading, people can use whatever criteria they feel like, but I don’t get how anyone can grade this class anywhere below an A. Heck I would’ve given it an A+ if we had signed a kicker and punter.:lol: *I’m only half joking*

14 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think going by position group. Overall, I'd give this class a B+. I went lower than others because Nebraska went in heavily on JUCOs. 

Offense overall: A-, addressed needs at WR and brought in talent at most positions. 

QB - B+, got a great 4* QB. 

WR - A+, not sure if Nebraska could've realistically done a better job. Brought in talent and numbers here.

OL - B, headlined by an amazing OT. Low numbers for this years take keeps the grade lower.

RB - B+, got two really good backs.

TE - N/A, did not take a recruit this year. 

Defense: B, Nebraska brought in a few very talented players, but several others will take time to develop. Also went heavily into JUCOs to fill holes.

DL - B-, took some good DTs but they will have to redshirt.

DE - C+, Nebraska uses DEs differently than other teams since we're in a 3-4. Didn't find high end talent here.

LBs - B+, Nebraska took a lot of numbers here. But went heavy on JUCOs. Along with WR, this was a position of emphasis. Hopefully any of them can rush a QB.

S - A, took two very highly touted players here.

CB - D+, Nebraska's two lowest rated players this class. They will both likely redshirt and will need time to develop. 

OL, low number due to getting 5 last year,  OT as one of the highest ranked players in Husker history (A-)

RB, one will be able to play as a freshman .

DE - 2 high 3 s that seem to fit what we are looking for (B)

LB - 2 4 star players, definetly A

CB - 2 under-rated tall players that need to add some weight, just like Bootle (B)

Solid class.   

I really like the WR group ==  A

Also liked the RB group  ==  A 

Qb is good.  B+

OL is good.   B  (downgrade there are only 2.)

ILB   B  Talented pair.  My concern is are they big enough and are they really inside guys?

DB    B-   Solid group.  

OLB  C+   No cover OLB. 

DL     C+   Filled needs both immediate and long term.   Solid