2020 Recruiting Grade

7 hours ago, desertshox said:

you only get an A+ if you land the trifecta; kicker, punter and long snapper. :P

Maybe I misread something but I think we did get a good kicker and snapper as well just recently with a 50 yard plus leg so I would not downgrade based on that.

QB, RB, WRs - all look better than any in long time.

OL (very good but need 4 every year until we have a real pipeline) so we're short numbers but couple walkons have potential.

Need one true high 4 star D lineman every class.  Not sure we found one of those but ??

DBs are super!

LBs look much better than in quite a few years.

Walk ons are getting better and we're getting some that used to get Husker scholarships in my view.

Overall - its the best work Frost and staff have done since arrival in Lincoln.  

Go Huskers.   I am not sure we will win many more games next year but if we go ahead and play our younger guys, the learning curve will accelerate and by 2021 we will be a lot better!  We can build a two deep at nearly every spot with quality athletes with skills and size and qualities desired for their assigned spots.

5 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I'd rank the class an A as well considering the past few seasons and how little we've won! Hopefully that results in W's on the field in the near future. 

How many spots do we have left? I haven't kept up with recruiting for a long time so I'm not sure where we're at right now. 

Not sure if we will take anymore hs guys, but we got 2 spots open for transfers and maybe a hs kid

• Fire 1

At the end of the season the small class was concerning. When all those JUCO offers went out it looked like desperation and I was so disappointed.

I use thia scale:

1-10 A

11-15 B+

16-20 B

21-25 B-

26+ F. There is never a time a school w our resources should be here....other than coaching cahnges.

Because of some of the top end players, and the excitement of signing day it feels better than B, but the math says it is where we usually are.

53 minutes ago, macroboy said:

I use thia scale:

1-10 A

11-15 B+

16-20 B

21-25 B-

26+ F. There is never a time a school w our resources should be here....other than coaching cahnges.

Solich, Callahan and Pelini recruited multiple F classes then. I think this is a little steep in my opinion. Also it is misleading to use class rank as Callhan would have scored an A one of his years but that is only because he signed 30+ kids. This class is better than that class. I don't think a hard and fast scale like this works in recruiting. Each year is unique, especially for us.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, macroboy said:

At the end of the season the small class was concerning. When all those JUCO offers went out it looked like desperation and I was so disappointed.

I use thia scale:

1-10 A

11-15 B+

16-20 B

21-25 B-

Because of some of the top end players, and the excitement of signing day it feels better than B, but the math says it is where we usually are.

There's a lot more to how good a class is than class rank.  For instance, recruiting services do not take into account needs at certain positions and if they were filled or not.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Solich, Callahan and Pelini recruited multiple F classes then. I think this is a little steep in my opinion. Also it is misleading to use class rank as Callhan would have scored an A one of his years but that is only because he signed 30+ kids. This class is better than that class. I don't think a hard and fast scale like this works in recruiting. Each year is unique, especially for us.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's a lot more to how good a class is than class rank.  For instance, recruiting services do not take into account needs at certain positions and if they were filled or not.

You mean star ratings and class rankings are an imperfect science? Interesting.

6 minutes ago, macroboy said:

You mean star ratings and class rankings are an imperfect science? Interesting.

I mean yes but I'd say you can use recruiting information to get a more complete idea of the class. Things like average star ranking and total recruits come into play. Is 30 players with 8 4 stars better than 18 players with 8 4 stars and 2 5 stars? I'd say no but the 30 player class may end up higher in the rankings.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

First of all....I don't know of anyone who claims it IS an exact science....even the services themselves.  

Also....what does my post have to do with star ratings and class rank?

um......you used the words 'class rank' in the post I was responding to? You also referenced 'recruiting services' which oddly enough give recruiting stars and class rankings, so........?

Are we having a different conversation?

1 minute ago, macroboy said:

um......you used the words 'class rank' in the post I was responding to? You also referenced 'recruiting services' which oddly enough give recruiting stars and class rankings, so........?

Are we having a different conversation?

class rank was trying to be used as a sole indication of grading a class. My post was saying there is a lot to grading how well a staff did on a particular class than just class rank against other programs. 

You somehow tried turning that into me claiming recruiting rankings aren’t an exact science. Which, by itself is kind of an odd argument since nobody has even tried making the argument that it is.