Way too early OLine projection

bhunt7

4 minutes ago, madrat said:

You said I was lying.  So far you've been long on personal attacks and short on Google-fu.  Makes me think you hang at HuskerMax.  But since you keep going on a tangent, I'll help you out.

Post #25 https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/jurgens-improving.114016/page-2#post-4134586

Sorry, dude, but you're grasping at straws saying Jurgens was our best OL.  It was not true. Maybe you dislike facts coming from others, but I have no reason to get personal with you.  Being a slow day and all is no excuse to get testy with me.

Ha ok bud I never attacked you, you were just talking big and not backing it up. Was it that hard to post a link? The dude says he is looking at PFF gradeouts. That is public information lol not gonna get moved anywhere. That said I'm curious as to where he gets the grades. I'm a PFF member and its hard to track down grades for college players unless PFF does an article 

8 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

He may or may not have graded out well as compared to other starters but the other starters are not playing center.  So that comparison is moot.   How did he grade out in comparison to other centers in practice?   

Reading the thread, he actually graded out pretty well, especially run blocking. Apparently bad snaps count negatively towards the grade so that could be a reason he graded out lower. Also the posters said the accuracy of the grades on the line is up for debate but they are a good place to start. 

31 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ha ok bud I never attacked you, you were just talking big and not backing it up. Was it that hard to post a link? The dude says he is looking at PFF gradeouts. That is public information lol not gonna get moved anywhere. That said I'm curious as to where he gets the grades. I'm a PFF member and its hard to track down grades for college players unless PFF does an article 

That's why I'm not leaking it.  It's a pretty touchie subject with coaches.  One of my buddies back in Omaha asked at one the coaches events why they stick with Jurgens if he scores so low.  He didn't get any real answer.  This staff needs to be ready for hard questions.  Even the staff under Solich was equipped for handling hard questions.  They seemed to appreciate them, too, even if they probably did not.

When he asked Held about why Mills doesn't get the ball in the red zone he said Held looked at him like he's never had that question before.  Let's just say he didn't like Held's double speak.  The sad thing is he's a pretty active booster.  I haven't ever heard him bad talk an assistant like that, but he wasn't impressed.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Reading the thread, he actually graded out pretty well, especially run blocking. Apparently bad snaps count negatively towards the grade so that could be a reason he graded out lower. Also the posters said the accuracy of the grades on the line is up for debate but they are a good place to start. 

That would be speculation on bad snaps affecting their blocking grades.  If you break down the plays from a technical stand point, I doubt they did.  While we don't know the exact calls, he made enough choices that are unlikely to be the correct call to infer the grades didn't do such a thing.  Short side option and I didn't see eye to eye on many things, but he didn't mince words when he backed up exactly what I stated.  You were looking for something not subjective and it was at the top of the Google results.  I'm not sure what you were searching for, but I provided exactly what you asked.

I'm not going to allow you to move the goalposts now.

8 minutes ago, madrat said:

That's why I'm not leaking it.  It's a pretty touchie subject with coaches.  One of my buddies back in Omaha asked at one the coaches events why they stick with Jurgens if he scores so low.  He didn't get any real answer.  This staff needs to be ready for hard questions.  Even the staff under Solich was equipped for handling hard questions.  They seemed to appreciate them, too, even if they probably did not.

When he asked Held about why Mills doesn't get the ball in the red zone he said Held looked at him like he's never had that question before.  Let's just say he didn't like Held's double speak.  The sad thing is he's a pretty active booster.  I haven't ever heard him bad talk an assistant like that, but he wasn't impressed.

Leaking what, the pro football focus grades that are not made by anyone associated with Nebraska and are probably out there for public information somewhere? You are trolling extra hard now :lol:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Leaking what, the pro football focus grades that are not made by anyone associated with Nebraska and are probably out there for public information somewhere? You are trolling extra hard now :lol:

Okay, dude.  I'm done.  You asked for something.  I gave you a link.  Now you're just being poorly behaved.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, madrat said:

That would be speculation on bad snaps affecting their blocking grades.  If you break down the plays from a technical stand point, I doubt they did.  While we don't know the exact calls, he made enough choices that are unlikely to be the correct call to infer the grades didn't do such a thing.  Short side option and I didn't see eye to eye on many things, but he didn't mince words when he backed up exactly what I stated.  You were looking for something not subjective and it was at the top of the Google results.  I'm not sure what you were searching for, but I provided exactly what you asked.

I'm not going to allow you to move the goalposts now.

I asked you for the title of the thread a long time ago, could you not have said Jurgens Improvement? I was looking on Max and did not find it until you gave me the link. That said short side did not agree with you whatsoever and you are twisting his post to fit your narrative. The grades he is looking at come from a 3rd party, those people wouldn't know the play either. Short Side also said he doesn't know what goes into those grades and that he was pretty sure bad snaps WERE a part of the grading. I'm not sure where you are going with this because that thread you linked does nothing to help your case here. No one agreed with you there and they don't here either.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

He's switching positions and will now be point guard on the basketball team

Said Cam’s snaps were so bad that they lost him and AM not only the starting spot, but their positions, and quite possibly their sport.   It is not outside the realm of possible that both of them are on the basketball team next year.  

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, madrat said:

I'd like to know who is 'king of the boards' drill with this group.  I doubt it is either Matt Farniok or Brendan Jaimes.  My favorites for starters would be:

RT    76    Jaimes, Brenden SR

RG    71    Farniok, Matt RS SR

C      58    Wegener, Josh SR/TR

LG    70    Sichterman, Matt RS JR

LT     54    Benhart, Bryce SO

Backups

G/T    75    Hixson, Trent RS JR

56    Wilson, Boe RS SR

73    Bando, Broc RS JR

XX    Corcoran, Turner FR

57   Piper, Ethan RS FR

78    Fritzsche, Jimmy RS FR

77    Lynn, Michael    RS FR

56    Shefke, Collin RS SO

61    Balenger, Mitchell RS SO

C        52    Forbes, AJ RS SO

Is Gaylord even coming back?  He graduated and if he would like to stay on I'm sure coaches would enjoy that.  But he could just as easily do the transfer portal for some graduate hours somewhere else.

Cam has a chance to be one of the best centers we’ve ever had. We’re not taking a GT to fill his spot.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I managed to get them documented

As far as I can tell, it's one of those things where he's technically correct but it's not nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Average grade in conference play:

Jaimes - 61.3

Hixon - 57.4

Jurgens - 54.4

Wilson - 55.9

Farniok - 62.5

Since Jurgens had a terrible grade against tOSU, here are the averages after that game:

Jaimes - 61.7

Hixon - 56.9

Jurgens - 56.8

Wilson - 56.5

Farniok - 65.8

And, just to give a little more picture of progress, here are the grades from the last two games:

Jaimes - 69.5

Hixon - 53.5

Jurgens - 63.6

Wilson - 57.2

Farniok - 64.9

So technically Jurgens was the lowest-graded lineman in conference play.  But all three of the interior guys are pretty close.  After tOSU, they are all basically identical, though Jurgens is technically slightly better than Wilson.  And over the last two games Jurgens is actually quite a bit better than both.

So it would appear that he was getting significantly better as the year went on.  Which would seem to show that Frost made the correct decision.

And, of course, none of that has anything to do with the coaches making "hard decisions".  That would imply that whoever the backup center is would be doing a better job.  Which none of that gives any insight into.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1