Way too early OLine projection

bhunt7

30 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

If Jaimes is the best we have, then we are in big trouble (based on 2019 performance). I don't recall how many replays I watched this year where Jaimes got beat resulting in a negative play or failure to convert type of situation..but I remember his name being one that I felt always missed or got beat when it counted most. Maybe I am being a little unfair to him, but it's just what I remember from watching replays this season. 

He was - Offensive MVP in the team awards, and the only lineman to get any kind of all-conference recognition. Honorable mention from the coaches I believe. I think he was pretty solid, but on the offensive line mistakes are way easier to notice than good plays. Particularly on the edge.

M problem with PFF is from what I've gathered their "proprietary grading system" is two dudes watching plays and deciding how well a player did his job. It's what they do so I trust it more than a random person's eye test (or my own for that matter), but I don't get too caught up in the specific grades once they're close. I don't see how you can completely objectively break down what a player is supposed to do from an outside perspective and score it alongside other players in different situations. Are we 93rd if we play Louisiana's schedule? They ranked 9th, but I seriously doubt they have the 9th best line in the country.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

M problem with PFF is from what I've gathered their "proprietary grading system" is two dudes watching plays and deciding how well a player did his job. It's what they do so I trust it more than a random person's eye test (or my own for that matter), but I don't get too caught up in the specific grades once they're close.

+1.

On a slightly related note, I just checked here:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/23

and see that we finished 30th in rushing offense - which is higher than I would have expected after we played that Minnesota game halfway through the year. That doesn't really change my mind about how I felt about our offensive line this year - I think it was pretty poor. But what I see in this data is that Frost is really good at figuring out how to run the ball.

Same as last year - he and Held figured out how to make Ozigbo successful, just as how this year they figured out how to make Mills successful. It was sort of a case of "too little, too late" but Frost knows how to run the ball. When he's got the big men up front all ready to go he'll have us right there with Wisconsin & Iowa.

3 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

What's the deal with Raridon? Has he just never developed as a player?

I ask this question all the time. I really just don't have any idea.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't think Frost's first class was that great with offensive line recruits but he really hit his stride starting with the 2019 class. To me it's a waste of Corcoran's raw talent and physical giftings to not redshirt him. That's just my personal opinion. There's a kid that could easily play in the NFL with the right amount of hard work and development - best thing for him and everybody is to redshirt him IMO.

Yes, I think there were only three O linemen in 2018 and that's with Jurgens coming in as a TE.  So, you have Jurgens, Farniok and Canty (did he even make it to campus?).

The 2019 class will be the real O line class that sets the tone for the next few years. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, I think there were only three O linemen in 2018 and that's with Jurgens coming in as a TE.  So, you have Jurgens, Farniok and Canty (did he even make it to campus?).

The 2019 class will be the real O line class that sets the tone for the next few years. 

He did not

19 hours ago, WVhuskerXX said:

I assume that during the grading if a OT gets beat and the DE gets a rush on the QB who avoids the sack, that won't show up as a sack, but it will show up as a bad grade for that play by said lineman. So there is more to their evals than simply yards. I hope that made sense. If Cam has high snaps he is going to get dinged. I assume penalties are factored in? False starts, holding etc...

It sort of makes sense but when does the grade actually start to reflect what happens on the field?  As somebody else mentioned Nebraska was 30th nationally in rushing yards but PFF has them ranked 113th in offensive line rushing?  Are they saying that the scheme and running back were amazing?

• Fire 1
17 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

It sort of makes sense but when does the grade actually start to reflect what happens on the field?  As somebody else mentioned Nebraska was 30th nationally in rushing yards but PFF has them ranked 113th in offensive line rushing?  Are they saying that the scheme and running back were amazing?

I assume it is similar to the example I gave earlier. Say we have an zone read to the right the goes for 15 yards. If Jaimes, Hixon, and Cam all get beat they aren't going to get a good grade, while Wilson and Farniok will probably have a positive grade since you assume they helped the runner gain the 15 yards. Therefore, three of our five linemen will have a negative grade on a play that gained 15 yards.

Again, I'm not advocating that PFF is perfect by any means. I do think they bring a perspective that is unlike anything else out there.

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, WVhuskerXX said:

I assume it is similar to the example I gave earlier. Say we have an zone read to the right the goes for 15 yards. If Jaimes, Hixon, and Cam all get beat they aren't going to get a good grade, while Wilson and Farniok will probably have a positive grade since you assume they helped the runner gain the 15 yards. Therefore, three of our five linemen will have a negative grade on a play that gained 15 yards.

Again, I'm not advocating that PFF is perfect by any means. I do think they bring a perspective that is unlike anything else out there.

Again, it sort of makes sense but it doesn't seem to matter.  If all 5 of Iowa's linemen 'win' their blocks and they still can't run the ball why does it matter if they are ranked high? How does PFF know what blocks the linemen are supposed to be making? 

Does anybody know what our running backs were graded out as?  Has to be super high to make up for how bad the line graded out, right? Do they also rank scheme?  Because if our line is so bad and we are still racking up tons of yardage I can't wait until we have a line ranked even in the 50s. 

25 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Again, it sort of makes sense but it doesn't seem to matter.  If all 5 of Iowa's linemen 'win' their blocks and they still can't run the ball why does it matter if they are ranked high? How does PFF know what blocks the linemen are supposed to be making? 

Does anybody know what our running backs were graded out as?  Has to be super high to make up for how bad the line graded out, right? Do they also rank scheme?  Because if our line is so bad and we are still racking up tons of yardage I can't wait until we have a line ranked even in the 50s. 

You're definitely correct that PFF is subjective in nature. However, it doesn't matter what formula/grading scale/eye ball test you use to know that our Oline was below average this year.  

Also, seeing as that we only had one lineman received All Big honors, honorable mention at that, validates that PFF probably isn't too far off.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, bhunt7 said:

The Line improved quite a bit by the end of this past season and everyone returns! Even better is all the good stuff we've heard about the Redshirt Freshmen. 

I am far from an OLine expert and don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes but here's my way too early projection of next years line up. 

Would love to hear your thoughts and see your projections.

Returning Offensive Line Depth:

LT: Jaimes, Bando

LG: Hixon, Raridon

C: Jurgens, Farniok

RG: Wilson, Sichterman 

RT: Farniok,  Benhart

Potential 2020 Line:

LT:

1. Senior, Jaimes

2. RS Junior, Bando

LG:

1. RS Senior, Farniok

2. RS Junior, Hixson

C:

1. RS Sophomore, Jurgens

2. RS Sophomore, Farniok

RG:

1. RS Junior, Wilson

2. RS Junior, Sichterman

RT:

1. RS Freshman, Benhart 

2. RS Senior, Gaylord

I'm hoping both of our Freshmen, Turner Corcoran and Alex Conn get the luxury of redshirting.

Anyone close to the program have any opinions on which of our young guys will be good?

I see Jurgens, Corcoran, and Benhart as being 3 possible all-conference level lineman.  We need 3 more, i just dont know much about the other young guys.

On 1/7/2020 at 2:51 PM, WyoHusker56 said:

What's the deal with Raridon? Has he just never developed as a player?

*bump

Some on board seem to have little more inside info on practice or player development.  Need something here.

I was very excited with him signing . I thought with his star rating and nasty demeanor he would be big time.  Not the case.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, HANC said:

*bump

Some on board seem to have little more inside info on practice or player development.  Need something here.

I was very excited with him signing . I thought with his star rating and nasty demeanor he would be big time.  Not the case.

I dont have any inside info but i think he is just too small.  On Huskermax the word is his frame was too small to carry more weight and he came in at 260.  He added the necessary weight, and his feet got very slow.

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

I dont have any inside info but i think he is just too small.  On Huskermax the word is his frame was too small to carry more weight and he came in at 260.  He added the necessary weight, and his feet got very slow.

That's interesting, but it would make some sense. He just couldn't maintain his athleticism at that weight. I suppose it happens to some guys.