Way too early OLine projection

bhunt7

8 hours ago, Comish said:

Agree he hurt us some early (don't know if I would go so far as to say he cost us games... plenty of suspects to go around for that dubious award).

But by the end of the season, you could argue he was playing as well as anyone on the O-line....

with the potential to be all - conference in a year or so.

Jurgens is going to be $...as you alluded to, his snapping was hardly the primary for our losses...anyone who does not see what Jurgens will be is simply playing jv observation

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

What honesty? You haven't provided a shred of evidence that you know what you are talking about. You keep saying you have seen these grades but yet can't direct anyone as to where they can be found. Quit with the bullcrap. It's not particularly convincing.

Either have you... show us where Cam was the "best blocker" on the O-line this year...  seems to me all you want to do is berate and bully so you dont have to justify YOUR claim.... post your proof..!! 

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

He may have cleaned up his snaps a bit but his blocking stinks..!

Not true.  Jamies was our best blocker and cam and Farniok would probably been right there for the next guy up.  Our troubles were at guard.  There are plays when he gets to the 2nd level and covers up LBs.  Maybe he doesn’t pick them up and throw them over his head, but his athleticism flashes and you can see great potential in this one.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

I managed to get them documented

As far as I can tell, it's one of those things where he's technically correct but it's not nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Average grade in conference play:

Jaimes - 61.3

Hixon - 57.4

Jurgens - 54.4

Wilson - 55.9

Farniok - 62.5

Since Jurgens had a terrible grade against tOSU, here are the averages after that game:

Jaimes - 61.7

Hixon - 56.9

Jurgens - 56.8

Wilson - 56.5

Farniok - 65.8

And, just to give a little more picture of progress, here are the grades from the last two games:

Jaimes - 69.5

Hixon - 53.5

Jurgens - 63.6

Wilson - 57.2

Farniok - 64.9

So technically Jurgens was the lowest-graded lineman in conference play.  But all three of the interior guys are pretty close.  After tOSU, they are all basically identical, though Jurgens is technically slightly better than Wilson.  And over the last two games Jurgens is actually quite a bit better than both.

So it would appear that he was getting significantly better as the year went on.  Which would seem to show that Frost made the correct decision.

And, of course, none of that has anything to do with the coaches making "hard decisions".  That would imply that whoever the backup center is would be doing a better job.  Which none of that gives any insight into.

I think this is a great post as these grades reaffirm the O-Line impressions I had for the season and the last statement is money.

So I think the key for next year is to see if they can strengthen the guards without hurting the tackles.   So in other words can they leverage Farniok inside?  Can Gaylord or Benhart take the RT spot?   Maybe Gaylord can slide to guard as well if Benhart comes through?   Maybe Banks can give play guard?   I was really impressed with Piper in the few snaps I saw him.  He is going to be outstanding.  Maybe he gets in there?    I want to see some push!  Some of that is dependent on the play and type of block they are doing but IMO it's best when you can impose your will. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

As far as I can tell, it's one of those things where he's technically correct but it's not nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be.

Jaimes - 61.3

Hixon - 57.4

Jurgens - 54.4

Wilson - 55.9

Farniok - 62.5

Since Jurgens had a terrible grade against tOSU, here are the averages after that game:

Jaimes - 61.7

Hixon - 56.9

Jurgens - 56.8

Wilson - 56.5

Farniok - 65.8

And, just to give a little more picture of progress, here are the grades from the last two games:

Jaimes - 69.5

Hixon - 53.5

Jurgens - 63.6

Wilson - 57.2

Farniok - 64.9

So technically Jurgens was the lowest-graded lineman in conference play.  But all three of the interior guys are pretty close.  After tOSU, they are all basically identical, though Jurgens is technically slightly better than Wilson.  And over the last two games Jurgens is actually quite a bit better than both.

So it would appear that he was getting significantly better as the year went on.  Which would seem to show that Frost made the correct decision.

And, of course, none of that has anything to do with the coaches making "hard decisions".  That would imply that whoever the backup center is would be doing a better job.  Which none of that gives any insight into.

I think it’s funny that so many people tag on Farniok....and....ummmm.....

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Farniok is a decent lineman, but he's an average to poor tackle.  It's not his fault that he's forced to play out of position though.  Move Farniok inside to RG and have Benhart play RT, and that is a very good right side to run behind.

• Plus1 3

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

Jaimes - 61.3

Hixon - 57.4

Jurgens - 54.4

Wilson - 55.9

Farniok - 62.5

Jaimes - 61.7

Hixon - 56.9

Jurgens - 56.8

Wilson - 56.5

Farniok - 65.8

Jaimes - 69.5

Hixon - 53.5

Jurgens - 63.6

Wilson - 57.2

Farniok - 64.9

Thank you!! I was looking everywhere on PFF and was having trouble. After reading through that thread over on Max that was the impression I got over there too. The information was technically correct but it was being used to say Cam shouldn't be our starting center and that ain't what ShortSide over on Max was getting at.

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He started the year pretty rough.  And got absolutely abused by Chase Young (not that a lot of other people didn't). 

But he really came around in the second half of the year.  One of the more pleasant surprises.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

Either have you... show us where Cam was the "best blocker" on the O-line this year...  seems to me all you want to do is berate and bully so you dont have to justify YOUR claim.... post your proof..!! 

I'm not the one who claimed to have the grades that proved my point? I wasn't the one who started by saying Jurgens is bad and needs to be moved back to TE I was just responding with my disagreement. The burden of proof was never on me as I was expressing my opinion on the matter.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don’t know if one tackle that was successful against Young. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

He started the year pretty rough.  And got absolutely abused by Chase Young (not that a lot of other people didn't). 

But he really came around in the second half of the year.  One of the more pleasant surprises.

It's hard to judge someone playing in a new position by their performance against Chase Young.  Chase Young is a freak.  His will be one of the first names called on April 23rd.  Probably the first defensive player taken in the NFL draft.