Unpopular roster opinion

I saw there are several jrs graduating today, some of which have given very little to earn their scholarship.  My question is can we start moving these guys along and create more space for contributors or new blood.  Hell give it to a walkon that contributed.  We need to start helping these guys to better situations away from Nebraska and open up more scholarships yr over yr.

1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

I saw there are several jrs graduating today, some of which have given very little to earn their scholarship.  My question is can we start moving these guys along and create more space for contributors or new blood.  Hell give it to a walkon that contributed.  We need to start helping these guys to better situations away from Nebraska and open up more scholarships yr over yr.

Where is this list and how do you know they gave little to the program? 

I wonder how many would support this kind of cutthroat roster management? I know I wouldn’t.  A deal is a deal and we are talking about kid’s lives here. They are actually real people. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Where is this list and how do you know they gave little to the program? 

I wonder how many would support this kind of cutthroat roster management? I know I wouldn’t.  A deal is a deal and we are talking about kid’s lives here. They are actually real people. 

3 yrs, hasn’t seen the field in any measurable amount.  Pulling up career stats, even starts is easy.  And btw these kids did get their degree I think we lived up to more than our share of the deal.  And yes I’d like more aggressive mgmt than we’ve had.  I won’t name anyone specifically, but if you have a 4/5 yr kid that hasn’t played any significant time or contributed on any stat line yes I believe we should help them move on.  That doesn’t mean cut them loose and say good luck, it means helping them find another opportunity with another school to transfer to with scholarship.

13 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

3 yrs, hasn’t seen the field in any measurable amount.  Pulling up career stats, even starts is easy.  And btw these kids did get their degree I think we lived up to more than our share of the deal.  And yes I’d like more aggressive mgmt than we’ve had.  I won’t name anyone specifically, but if you have a 4/5 yr kid that hasn’t played any significant time or contributed on any stat line yes I believe we should help them move on.  That doesn’t mean cut them loose and say good luck, it means helping them find another opportunity with another school to transfer to with scholarship.

Like judging an iceberg from the surface, you have no idea what they’re contributing.  And why would they want to stay? 

"Nebraska's 11 graduates from the football program include All-Big Ten defensive back Dicaprio Bootle, who earned his management degree prior to entering his senior season in 2020. Junior defensive line starter Ben Stille also earned his degree prior to his senior season on the field. Stille, a nutrition and health sciences major, was a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection in 2019. A third junior, Deontai Williams, added a bachelor's degree prior to his senior season as well. Five 2019 seniors, including Isaac Armstrong, Alex Davis, Christian Gaylord and Jackson Walker, were joined by Tyrin Ferguson, Pernell Jefferson and Jacob Weinmaster as Husker football graduates"

So you're saying we should get rid of Bootle, Stille, and Williams who will all be starters next year?

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, theknife said:

"Nebraska's 11 graduates from the football program include All-Big Ten defensive back Dicaprio Bootle, who earned his management degree prior to entering his senior season in 2020. Junior defensive line starter Ben Stille also earned his degree prior to his senior season on the field. Stille, a nutrition and health sciences major, was a CoSIDA Academic All-District selection in 2019. A third junior, Deontai Williams, added a bachelor's degree prior to his senior season as well. Five 2019 seniors, including Isaac Armstrong, Alex Davis, Christian Gaylord and Jackson Walker, were joined by Tyrin Ferguson, Pernell Jefferson and Jacob Weinmaster as Husker football graduates"

So you're saying we should get rid of Bootle, Stille, and Williams who will all be starters next year?

No he is probably saying we should seek out new homes for guys like Pernell Jefferson. Do you really think Pernell is going to contribute at this point? He has graduated and now would be the perfect time to find him a place where he can see more action than he will here.

• Fire 1
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There are 24 Juniors on the roster. It shouldn't be too hard to be specific on who you're talking about so people can make an informed response to the thread.

Would help. I’m not too keen on making a blanket policy that if you graduated as a jr and have no stat lines -be gone. 

26 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

No he is probably saying we should seek out new homes for guys like Pernell Jefferson. Do you really think Pernell is going to contribute at this point? He has graduated and now would be the perfect time to find him a place where he can see more action than he will here.

And the coaching staff should do that for him? Wouldn’t he put himself in the portal? 

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Pernell sounds like a good locker room guy and all around good citizen. Let’s dump him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I think some guys contribute in more ways than the stat line or playing time. I would assume if they've graduated and aren't contributing in any manner that the coaches/program are already trying to help them move on. In fact it's kind of ridiculous to think or expect anything different. And really, why would a graduate who pretty much knows he's not going to see the field want to stick around? I guess I don't see this being a problem that needs a different approach.

24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I was thrown off because he was listed as a senior in that announcement. I don't necessarily disagree, but as I understand it, we only have 2 more spots for this scholarship cycle. We will need some players to move on, which always happens anyways.

The staff has turned over the roster a lot already. I recall them taking advantage of the new coach rule which let players stay on scholarship but leave the team in year 1.