Unpopular roster opinion

9 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Hasn't frost already done this? Before last season didn't some upperclassmen transfer to fcs schools? 

I guarantee frost has already done this. I'm sure the coaches have sat down non contributing players and said you dont have what it takes to get on the field and that they have the choice to ride the pine and get their degree or they'll help them find a new home.

Yes they have and I'm sure they will continue to.

4 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I saw there are several jrs graduating today, some of which have given very little to earn their scholarship.  My question is can we start moving these guys along and create more space for contributors or new blood.  Hell give it to a walkon that contributed.  We need to start helping these guys to better situations away from Nebraska and open up more scholarships yr over yr.

Just because you dont see them on the field on Saturday does not mean that they did not contribute...  SMH

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

The article said there were 11 but there are only 10 names listed?  Who is the 11th?   

The main point of the scholarship is the degree.    I have no problem with Nebraska not paying scholarship to players that have graduated and if they want to keep a player on scholarship who has graduated and has eligibility I am certainly okay with that.   I think it's Nebraska's choice in that situation and I think that is fair.   The players don't have to apply for their degree if they don't want to graduate early.  They can schedule and plan accordingly.  They can take a bunch of PE classes or Star Trek Theory..  

I think it's good that the NCAA permits players that have graduated to have the choice to go to whatever school that wants them if they have eligibility left.  That is only fair because of the situation above.

For the situation where it's a player that has 4 years in,  has not graduated and needs a 5th year I personally think the University should pony up and allow them to get the degree even if they are non-contributors.   That is my personal opinion and where folks disagree.  Football is a huge time commitment. 

23 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

The article said there were 11 but there are only 10 names listed?  Who is the 11th?   

The main point of the scholarship is the degree.    I have no problem with Nebraska not paying scholarship to players that have graduated and if they want to keep a player on scholarship who has graduated and has eligibility I am certainly okay with that.   I think it's Nebraska's choice in that situation and I think that is fair.   The players don't have to apply for their degree if they don't want to graduate early.  They can schedule and plan accordingly.  They can take a bunch of PE classes or Star Trek Theory..  

I think it's good that the NCAA permits players that have graduated to have the choice to go to whatever school that wants them if they have eligibility left.  That is only fair because of the situation above.

For the situation where it's a player that has 4 years in,  has not graduated and needs a 5th year I personally think the University should pony up and allow them to get the degree even if they are non-contributors.   That is my personal opinion and where folks disagree.  Football is a huge time commitment. 

Jefferson has recently put in 25 pounds according to the roster.  Lots of kids need extra years for physical maturity.  You could say that knowing how a kid  will develop physically or even if they develop at all, is a benefit of getting Juco guys,  but if your roster is heavy on the Juco side and they are all expected to compete immediately, who's on the scout team?

Had an interesting conversation with an ex-player now employed with the strength and conditioning program, who said that when discussing Joe Burrow, it was thought he would be slow to physically mature and we couldn't risk it.  And if you look at his year by year performance, he did seem to come into his own a little later than you would think given his recent success.  

He also said that Mike Riley was a nice idiot.  I don't know why I thought that was so funny, its not like I didn't know that. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDay said:

It used to be that nobody on the Nebraska offensive line was expected to start unless they were 5th year seniors.  We would have thrown away a lot of good players using this new plan, right?

This is in no way accurate.  I have no idea where you would get that in your head.  I’m sure you think you won all those championships with kids 22 walkons starting.

This suggestion is so astoundingly stupid, it literally made my head hurt.

No contributions?  No stats?  Who do you think the guys who make the contributions and stats hit every week at practice?  The kids from Our Sisters Of The Poor?  These guys come to practice every day...play human tackling dummy...and go home.  They have a job to do.  Prepare the starters for the next opponent...and they do it.  That's a pretty big contribution I'd say.

But hey...if you would rather put the 2s up against the 1s all summer or would like to throw some recruits that show a lot of potential into some live scrimmages before they acclimate to Big 10 level ball...be my guest.  That should help with the depth situation a whole lot...heck, if they get injured and can't play, you can just yank their scholarship and give it to another body.  "Sorry kid...you're not contributing or putting up stats from the hospital bed so we're pulling your scholarship.  Don't worry though...we've been in contact with a couple schools who'll take a chance on a player who suffered a concussion and a torn knee ligament during the Spring Game.  They are willing to let you walk on..."

Where's the Excederin...? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

The worst part is the time you are a scrub is that you can literally take the starter to the woodshed because you know their weaknesses.

But how does that help the team.  I doubt Dashon Neal is less of a person for being bored with giving the same look day after day.  One day he probably was hoping to get to be on the other side of the drill.  A good coach won't let practice ever get stale like that.  It's kind of like making guys that know how to tackle without a problem go through the same tackling drills as the guys that flub tackles.  It becomes punishment after awhile.

College football in this day and age is cutthroat.  If we want to be competitive then we should follow suit with the top teams.  

People can bag on Saban all they want for his tactics on roster management but he is one of the best coaches ever in college football.  He does what it takes to win.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I’m sure you think you won all those championships with kids 22 walkons starting.

How did my mentioning 5th year seniors oft starting turn into 22 walkons starting?  Walk me through that thought progression, please.  In fact, since we are talking about scholarships, how do walk on players even enter the discussion?:dunno 

Also, Devine Ozigbo was considered my more than a few to be a "bust" until his Senior year...and then he bloomed last year, looking nothing like the old, familiar "non-contributing" Devine Ozigbo.  How soon we forget.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BackInTheDay said:

How did my mentioning 5th year seniors oft starting turn into 22 walkons starting?  Walk me through that thought progression, please.  In fact, since we are talking about scholarships, how do walk on players even enter the discussion?:dunno 

Also, Devine Ozigbo was considered my more than a few to be a "bust" until his Senior year...and then he bloomed last year, looking nothing like the old, familiar "non-contributing" Devine Ozigbo.  How soon we forget.

Ozigbo played his whole career at Nebraska.  He might not have been the starting RB for us the whole time but he did play a lot coming off the bench and was widely considered the best back we had by a lot of the fan base.  He was hamstrung by coaching/playcalling under Riley and also at the beginning of Frost's time here.  Do you realize he only had 26 more carries his Sr. year compared to his Jr. year while playing in 2 less games his Jr. year.        

• Plus1 1