Unpopular roster opinion

On 12/21/2019 at 2:33 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I believe that Big Ten scholarships in football are for 4 year rides as long as the student athlete remains in good stead with the school and follows team rules, etc.   I don't think it is possible to siimply cut them off if they fail to become 'contributors' on the stat sheet.   Fair or not to the school and or the player, this is the general principle.   I am not sure the scholarships should be locked in for the full time, but that is the Big Ten way.  Now, I would think it is not unreasonable to say that the college will pay for 4 years as a full time student and then it ends unless they redshirt with consent of the Coach (in other words - we pay for 4 years of full time credit hours equivalent only).  If the student graduates in three years, the college ought to cover 1 year of grad courses IF he remains on the team at the coach's discretion.  If the kid quits or fails to show up for practices, meetings,  classes, etc and or violates other team rules, he can face consequences of being dismissed from the team.  If he is just a slacker or puts forth a half effort, I am not sure what the coach can do besides run him around the field and up the stadium stairs, etc.  within the limits of team rules.  A coach can NOT be allowed to drive a player away because he is not happy with his performance or wants the scholarship for someone else.

Good post.  I believe the team is capped at 85 full ride scholarships at any given time, with no more than 25 awarded in any single year.  Of course there are numerous loopholes, some of which you need a lawyer to interpret.

(Ozigbo) was widely considered the best back we had by a lot of the fan base

Go back to the threads in 2017 and the first part of 2018.  In the thread I just revisited her on Huskerboard, most of the prevailing comments about Ozigbo were like this:

"Nothing against Oz, but he doesn't have the big play ability that I prefer. Oz could be a good back to bring in for the 4th quarter to grind out the clock, but I like the most versatile backs in Bryant and Wilbon."

"If he cut his weight back down and has stepped up, he could compete easily for 2nd string."

"lol no"

Ozigbo gets a lot of love now, but most of it wasn't there until  a few games into last year.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, BackInTheDay said:

Go back to the threads in 2017 and the first part of 2018.  In the thread I just revisited her on Huskerboard, most of the prevailing comments about Ozigbo were like this:

"Nothing against Oz, but he doesn't have the big play ability that I prefer. Oz could be a good back to bring in for the 4th quarter to grind out the clock, but I like the most versatile backs in Bryant and Wilbon."

"If he cut his weight back down and has stepped up, he could compete easily for 2nd string."

"lol no"

Ozigbo gets a lot of love now, but most of it wasn't there until  a few games into last year.

He saw snaps all 4 years he could be on the field. Don't think he fits the definition.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

49 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

He saw snaps all 4 years he could be on the field. Don't think he fits the definition.

This times 10000000.  It’s like anyone that doesn’t want to cut bait from ANY player uses an example that doesn’t fit what this thread was even started on.  DO was one of our better backs, got carries all 4 yrs, regardless of coaching staff.  I don’t know how anyone makes the leap there from players that have been on the team for 3-4 yrs, playing in less than 1-2 games, and have under 5 tackles, buried on the depth chart past the four deep.  It really is quite the head scratcher.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:36 AM, N is for nowledge said:

I saw there are several jrs graduating today, some of which have given very little to earn their scholarship.  My question is can we start moving these guys along and create more space for contributors or new blood.  Hell give it to a walkon that contributed.  We need to start helping these guys to better situations away from Nebraska and open up more scholarships yr over yr.

I am good with it. Some of these guys got a free education and never helped Nebraska win a football game. They have a degree- they could go get a job at this point with that degree. How is that doing them dirty to say hey I think its time to move on from the program. If they are graduated they dont need to take any more classes- if they are not going to see the field then what will they do for the next year? I could see a kid who has a shot at the NFL and is graduated sticking around to better his draft stock. But I dont see much point in some of these kids sticking around.

DO (Devine Ozigbo) was one of our better backs...

Yeah, everybody says that now, don't they?  :D  In 2017, not so much.  Same as all of the NFL scouts and coaches and front office types now know Kurt Warner had NFL Hall of Famer talent rather than just a great stock boy at the Cedar Rapids Hy-Vee, where they would have been content to leave him.:clap

My point is that Devine Ozigbo improved IMMENSELY his last year here.  So could some of those  players some of you are calling dead wood.  Who knows the future?  All I am saying is be VERY careful about wanting to throw away the next late bloomer for the next unknown quantity.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, BackInTheDay said:

Yeah, everybody says that now, don't they?  :D  In 2017, not so much.  Same as all of the NFL scouts and coaches and front office types now knows Kurt Warner is an NFL Hall of Famer and not just a great stock boy at the Cedar Rapids Hy-Vee, where they would have been content to leave him.:clap

My point is that Devine Ozigbo improved IMMENSELY his last year here.  So could some of those  players some of you are calling dead wood.  Who knows the future?

Devine ozigbo saw major playing time all 4 years he played here

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Devine ozigbo saw major playing time all 4 years he played here

Yes....but the common opinion was that we didn’t really have a good RB at the time going into his senior season. Going into the year, the majority of fans were not expecting anything special from him. Most were surprised with how well he did. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes....but the common opinion was that we didn’t really have a good RB at the time going into his senior season. Going into the year, the majority of fans were not expecting anything special from him. Most were surprised with how well he did. 

Yes but he does not fit the definition of the players we are talking about in this thread. Dwayne Johnson from the Pelini era is a great example that EZ-E brought up. If you have graduated but have only made the spring 85 roster once in 4 years and haven't seen a single snap in your career it might be time to move on to someplace you might get some PT. As I have said every time, it's a conversation and each situation is unique. Ultimately it's up to the player.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes but he does not fit the definition of the players we are talking about in this thread. Dwayne Johnson from the Pelini era is a great example that EZ-E brought up. If you have graduated but have only made the spring 85 roster once in 4 years and haven't seen a single snap in your career it might be time to move on to someplace you might get some PT. As I have said every time, it's a conversation and each situation is unique. Ultimately it's up to the player.

Agree. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He didn't come out of nowhere, though; he had the 3rd most carries on the team his sophomore year, and lead the team in carries his Jr. year. I would say that the reason why a lot of people weren't high on him going into his senior year (myself included) was the style of offense we would be running and how it clashed with how we viewed him as a running back. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

He didn't come out of nowhere, though; he had the 3rd most carries on the team his sophomore year, and lead the team in carries his Jr. year. I would say that the reason why a lot of people weren't high on him going into his senior year (myself included) was the style of offense we would be running and how it clashed with how we viewed him as a running back. 

Plus Ozigbo was overweight under Riley. He got in shape and was a different player under Frost.