Unpopular roster opinion

On 12/22/2019 at 6:46 PM, EZ-E said:

Zero reason for a guy like Dwayne Johnson to be on scholarship 5 years and make the 85 spring camp roster once. 

As long as the kid isn't rampaging around campus, and he isn't being rundown by the coach to get to class....he should be walking tall with that scholarship in hand to get smart at NU's expense.

39 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

As long as the kid isn't rampaging around campus, and he isn't being rundown by the coach to get to class....he should be walking tall with that scholarship in hand to get smart at NU's expense.

We are talking about in the case that Dwayne graduates after his RS Jr year. In any case we are talking about non contributors who have already graduated but would still have 1 year of eligibility on the football field.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

You're trolling 

Devine might have gotten snaps his entire time here, but he was not considered a consistent or even particularly good back by most. He wasn't thought highly of even early in the 2018 season.

On 12/25/2019 at 10:56 PM, Nebfanatic said:

Devine ozigbo saw major playing time all 4 years he played here

Eh, kind of. His productivity was very uninspiring. Or at least middling as a career 2nd/3rd string back. Some of that was definitely the fault of the coaching staff, no doubt, because he would just disappear for several games when (to the best of my memory) he wasn't injured. Nonetheless, he hadn't shown anything to make anyone think he was capable of being a feature 1,000 yard runner.

BYU - DNP

USA - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Miami - DNP

Southern Miss - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Illinois - 7 attempts, 70 yards

Wisconsin - 3 attempts, 9 yards

Minnesota - 4 attempts, 13 yards

Northwestern - DNP

Purdue - 0 attempts (3 catches)

Michigan State - DNP

Rutgers - 2 attempts, 33 yards

Iowa - DNP

UCLA - 20 attempts, 80 yards

209 yards on the year, 5.5ypc

Fresno - 17 attempts, 103 yards

Wyoming - 15 attempts, 44 yards

Oregon - 21 attempts, 95 yards

Northwestern - 13 attempts, 41 yards

Illinois - 10 attempts, 35 yards

Indiana - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Wisconsin - 10 attempts, 33 yards

Ohio State - 3 attempts, -7 yards

Minnesota - DNP

Maryland - DNP

Iowa - DNP

Tennessee - 7 attempts, 66 yards

412 yards on the year, 4.2ypc

Arkansas State - DNP

Oregon - DNP

Northern Illinois - 2 carries, 8 yards

Rutgers - 24 carries, 101 yards

Illinois - 18 carries, 106 yards

Wisconsin - 23 carries, 112 yards

Ohio State - 9 carries, 24 yards

Purdue - 10 carries, 8 yards

Northwestern - 23 carries, 72 yards

Minneseota - 10 carries, 37 yards

Penn State - 7 carries, 12 yards

Iowa - 3 carries, 13 yards

493 yards on the year, 3.8ypc

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Devine might have gotten snaps his entire time here, but he was not considered a consistent or even particularly good back by most. He wasn't thought highly of even early in the 2018 season.

Eh, kind of. His productivity was very uninspiring. Or at least middling as a career 2nd/3rd string back. Some of that was definitely the fault of the coaching staff, no doubt, because he would just disappear for several games when (to the best of my memory) he wasn't injured. Nonetheless, he hadn't shown anything to make anyone think he was capable of being a feature 1,000 yard runner.

BYU - DNP

USA - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Miami - DNP

Southern Miss - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Illinois - 7 attempts, 70 yards

Wisconsin - 3 attempts, 9 yards

Minnesota - 4 attempts, 13 yards

Northwestern - DNP

Purdue - 0 attempts (3 catches)

Michigan State - DNP

Rutgers - 2 attempts, 33 yards

Iowa - DNP

UCLA - 20 attempts, 80 yards

209 yards on the year, 5.5ypc

Fresno - 17 attempts, 103 yards

Wyoming - 15 attempts, 44 yards

Oregon - 21 attempts, 95 yards

Northwestern - 13 attempts, 41 yards

Illinois - 10 attempts, 35 yards

Indiana - 1 attempt, 2 yards

Wisconsin - 10 attempts, 33 yards

Ohio State - 3 attempts, -7 yards

Minnesota - DNP

Maryland - DNP

Iowa - DNP

Tennessee - 7 attempts, 66 yards

412 yards on the year, 4.2ypc

Arkansas State - DNP

Oregon - DNP

Northern Illinois - 2 carries, 8 yards

Rutgers - 24 carries, 101 yards

Illinois - 18 carries, 106 yards

Wisconsin - 23 carries, 112 yards

Ohio State - 9 carries, 24 yards

Purdue - 10 carries, 8 yards

Northwestern - 23 carries, 72 yards

Minneseota - 10 carries, 37 yards

Penn State - 7 carries, 12 yards

Iowa - 3 carries, 13 yards

493 yards on the year, 3.8ypc

Still not the type of player we are referring to plain and simple. 

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Unless I’m mistaken It’s a 5yr to play 4 scholarship.  So no, the school hasn’t held up their end of the deal until the athlete exhausts his eligibility. 

Just because they have 5 years of eligibility does not mean their scholarship is a 5 year scholarship. Do athletic scholarships pay for graduate degrees? I'd like to see some more info on that besides you telling me that's how it works

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Still not the type of player we are referring to plain and simple. 

Just because they have 5 years of eligibility does not mean their scholarship is a 5 year scholarship. Do athletic scholarships pay for graduate degrees? I'd like to see some more info on that besides you telling me that's how it works

Well unless things changed since 1999 when I was in college, the scholarships do.    Otherwise what would the kids  who graduated in 3 yrs do?   Or the kids who red shirted, but graduated in four years.  

The other option for a kid is to work towards another degree or a minor. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Well unless things changed since 1999 when I was in college, the scholarships do.    Otherwise what would the kids  who graduated in 3 yrs do?   Or the kids who red shirted, but graduated in four years.  

The other option for a kid is to work towards another degree or a minor. 

Internships? Is it a requirement to be taking classes? I thought I had heard of players on the team but not attending classes before but maybe I'm wrong. Not every student wants to continue their education past graduation, what about those students? Do they get kicked off the team unless they are taking some classes? 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Internships? Is it a requirement to be taking classes? I thought I had heard of players on the team but not attending classes before but maybe I'm wrong. Not every student wants to continue their education past graduation, what about those students? Do they get kicked off the team unless they are taking some classes? 

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/scholarships

can be used or undergraduate or masters classes 

Just now, Archy1221 said:

And yes you have to be taking 9 or 12 hrs I believe and 6 if it’s masters hours 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And yes you have to be taking 9 or 12 hrs I believe and 6 if it’s masters hours 

Already saw that link. It really says nothing on what you are saying. If anything, it talks about aid being renewed yearly and schools can choose not to renew if they notify the athlete. At that point the athlete can appeal. Either way, even if you are right I see no issue with talking to the player about their plans, their chances at PT and what is best for the team. As I have said every time, ultimately the decision is up to the player whether they want to move on or not. 

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Already saw that link. It really says nothing on what you are saying. If anything, it talks about aid being renewed yearly and schools can choose not to renew if they notify the athlete. At that point the athlete can appeal. Either way, even if you are right I see no issue with talking to the player about their plans, their chances at PT and what is best for the team. As I have said every time, ultimately the decision is up to the player whether they want to move on or not. 

I agree with what are saying in general.  Coach can say “ listen you won’t play so it may be best for you to move on”. But if the player committed to the school, as long as he/she is going to practices, participating in all workouts, keeping up grades and is a student in good standing, I don’t believe a coach should ever be able to say we are taking you off scholarship because we found someone better.  

If the player and coach MUTUALLY agree to part ways, then that’s fine by me.  I also believe that if a player leaves a program, they should be immediately eligible at whatever school that player chooses to go.  I will always believe this until they make coaches sit out a year like players when they leave a school for another school.  

• Plus1 2