Meet the Bag Men

https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

This is from 2014 but it’s still a really good read.  I know on ESD there was a lot of talk of “bag men” from other fan bases, so here’s an explanation.

In a later interview, the author estimates that 100% of 5 star recruits and about 80% of four star will be offered some additional “incentive.”

47 minutes ago, dubsker said:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2014/4/10/20703758/bag-man-paying-college-football-players

This is from 2014 but it’s still a really good read.  I know on ESD there was a lot of talk of “bag men” from other fan bases, so here’s an explanation.

In a later interview, the author estimates that 100% of 5 star recruits and about 80% of four star will be offered some additional “incentive.”

lol.   No way that really happens.  That many bribes would lead to

dozens of scandals each year.  Too obvious to keep secrets with so many people involved.  Teenagers can’t help talking.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

lol.   No way that really happens.  That many bribes would lead to

dozens of scandals each year.  Too obvious to keep secrets with so many people involved.  Teenagers can’t help talking.  

Keep telling yourself that.  I can’t believe in 2019 we are still arguing about the purity of college football.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nobody says college sports is “pure” (presumably u mean without cheating) but suggesting they’re nearly all dirty is BS.  

Actually if you read the article, which I don’t think you did, this is focused on the Southeast.   But go on, keep thinking Shapiro/Hugh Freeze/Cam Newton are outliers.

2 minutes ago, dubsker said:

Actually if you read the article, which I don’t think you did, this is focused on the Southeast.   But go on, keep thinking Shapiro/Hugh Freeze/Cam Newton are outliers.

Don’t need to read it.  I don’t believe nearly all football programs are cheating with big cash etc.  

that’s the suggestion with 100% n 80% payments.  Just BS.  

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Don’t need to read it.  I don’t believe nearly all football programs are cheating with big cash etc.  

that’s the suggestion with 100% n 80% payments.  Just BS.  

So typical, why even post?  Did you come here to brag about having a short attention span or flex how strong of an opinion you can have about source material you didn’t read? Lmao 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, dubsker said:

So typical, why even post?  Did you come here to brag about having a short attention span or flex how strong of an opinion you can have about source material you didn’t read? Lmao 

About as likely as the flat earth material.   Don’t need to read garbage to recognize it’s trash.  Why suggest such notions ?

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

About as likely as the flat earth material.   Don’t need to read garbage to recognize it’s trash.  Why suggest such notions ?

Are you seriously suggesting bag men aren’t a thing? All the top recruits, at the very least, are offered stuff from bag men. They may not accept, but to think it’s not pervasive is tantamount to Ostrich Syndrome.

Hell, if I had that kind of expendable cash, I would totally do it.

• Plus1 2

On 12/25/2019 at 10:10 AM, dubsker said:

I read the linked article. I don’t think it is extremely far fetched but I also question some of the assumptions and takeaways implied. The 100% of 5* and 80% of 4* claim, by the author (not a reliable unbiased source) may be close to the truth based on his supposed interactions in SEC territory. But I don’t think we can jump to the conclusion it is necessarily that rampant and pervasive across all P5 football.

There are a couple take aways we can garner from this and neither of them should strike anyone as news.

- This type of thing is likely most widespread in the SEC. They are the kings of cheating at recruiting in CFB.

- And it happens in varying degrees across CFB and is likely more prominent with programs that attract lots of cash. i.e. the perennial powerhouse programs that are making tons of cash.

The thing I don’t get is the type of person who would operate as the bag man (as portrayed in the article). What kind of demented loser fool is going to spend 15k to 25k annually, on the sly, with no recognition, just to help his favorite team sign better players? It just doesn’t make sense. Sure that isn’t an elite level of support but it is also quite substantial monetarily and I just don’t see that many people going down that path. The author found a few (maybe...) and wrote an article that he wants to be recognized for. It is no sort of proof of anything.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, broganreynik said:

Are you seriously suggesting bag men aren’t a thing? All the top recruits, at the very least, are offered stuff from bag men. They may not accept, but to think it’s not pervasive is tantamount to Ostrich Syndrome.

Hell, if I had that kind of expendable cash, I would totally do it.

I think he is just saying he would be surprised if every 5 star was approached by a bag man or offered additional incentives.

I would believe at one point every 5 star is offered something that is breaking the rules.

I am more interested in how many accept and what those incentives vary from.

Does a 5 star sign on a dotted line for a car or special treatment or is it just a big bag of $$$...

I also am a bit surprised one of these kids doesnt alert officials more often. "Kid A is offered something extra by school, something happens and that offer is pulled, Kid A is pissed and goes to NCAA to report University"

Who knows.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think he is just saying he would be surprised if every 5 star was approached by a bag man or offered additional incentives.

I would believe at one point every 5 star is offered something that is breaking the rules.

I am more interested in how many accept and what those incentives vary from.

Does a 5 star sign on a dotted line for a car or special treatment or is it just a big bag of $$$...

I also am a bit surprised one of these kids doesnt alert officials more often. "Kid A is offered something extra by school, something happens and that offer is pulled, Kid A is pissed and goes to NCAA to report University"

Who knows.

I agree. I think a lot more of these stories would be getting out if it was as widespread as the author claims. Sure we hear/find about some issues but if it was anywhere near the 100% or 80% claimed there would be many more actual cases come to light.

• Fire 2

It might depend on what you consider a bribe...

Giving cash

Having the kid have a "great time" on his visits

Getting HS grades bumped up

A new job for mom/dad

A great deal on a new car

Being told he will be "taken care of"

I also think we would hear more stories and I also think all the schools cheat in one way or another.  I don't even think it is cheating...

Why is a stranger saying "Here kid, this car can be yours if you play here" any different than grandpa going "Here, if you go to State U, I will buy you a car"

• Plus1 2

I tend to agree that its very unlikely that 80% of 4 and 5 stars are offered money or cars, but i also know it does happen.  As to what %, i dont know.  Maybe in the SEC its close to that, but i doubt its that high across the land.  Just seems too hard to pull off or to get in that circle.  But what do i know? I guess its possible.  I just wouldnt base my assumptions on One article from a concealed source.