Meet the Bag Men

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Husker fans will NOT tolerate doing things the wrong way no matter what everybody else may possibly be doing.  And offering improper benefits that are refused by the player is almost worse as the risk of revelation is likely greater.

Then those same Husker fans will be mad that we aren't winning conference championships or pulling in top 20 recruiting classes, etc. It's the way the game is played and the Huskers play it just like everyone else of that I'm sure.

• Plus1 1

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Then those same Husker fans will be mad that we aren't winning conference championships or pulling in top 20 recruiting classes, etc. It's the way the game is played and the Huskers play it just like everyone else of that I'm sure.

Some fans will be upset and the coaches etal will bear responsibility for those things not accomplished.  But if our coaches become aware of cheating by other schools they need to report it.  Cheating will stop when it’s reported.  

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Some fans will be upset and the coaches etal will bear responsibility for those things not accomplished.  But if our coaches become aware of cheating by other schools they need to report it.  Cheating will stop when it’s reported.  

Kind of the whole point of the article is what is there to report? Most of the time it's not paying a kid $20,000 to go to a school, it's buying/finding him a TV because he doesn't have one. Or slipping him some spending money. Who is going to prove that he didn't get the money or whatever himself?

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Kind of the whole point of the article is what is there to report? Most of the time it's not paying a kid $20,000 to go to a school, it's buying/finding him a TV because he doesn't have one. Or slipping him some spending money. Who is going to prove that he didn't get the money or whatever himself?

Yup exactly this. I am sure the "bag men" are good enough at playing the game that whatever it is that is being offered can't easily be tracked or proved that it is tied to a recruit signing.

• Plus1 1

A few things. I remember reading that article a few years ago plus a few times Sports Illustrated has written about it too.  I'm not an expert but this is my understanding of how this stuff works.

1) The head coach rarely has anything to do with this stuff and is shielded from it. It's plausible deniability. Just like in politics people shield presidents and senators from things.

2) A booster doesn't need any connection to the football program to pay a kid. All he needs to know is if a kid is in town on a visit (and he can easily find this out online now) and he can magically " bump" into him. If a coach on staff is needed for help it's a GA or a position coach at the highest. 

3) Players aren't given thousands of dollars unless they're already on campus. They're given a few hundred on visits to build relationships. Once a kid is on campus and playing well, then maybe they start getting more. $300 is easy to cover up or explain away. $10,000 is not. $100,000 definitely is not.

4) Some kids don't want impermissible benefits and don't take them. Some do. 

If you think Nebraska, along with every other Big 10 school, isn't cheating then you're kidding yourself. The only thing is the head coach probably is not in on it. If purity in collegiate athletics is important to you, then watch D-III or NAIA.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, dubsker said:

Joe Burrow conformed OBJ was handing out actual cash, that was funny and awesome.  NCAA can’t do s#!t if you don’t talk.

Burrow didn't need to confirm s#!t.. OBJ was doing that on TV in front of tons of cameras and reporters.

It will be real interesting to see what/ if anything the NCAA does about this. May need to "give the money to charity" :lol:

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Burrow didn't need to confirm s#!t.. OBJ was doing that on TV in front of tons of cameras and reporters.

It will be real interesting to see what/ if anything the NCAA does about this. May need to "give the money to charity" :lol:

I recall that was our self-imposed punishment for giving student-athletes optional textbooks.  Too funny.

Here is where you get John Blake going off the radar and coming back with highly rated recruits.  That's my understanding as well, that Hugh Freeze is an idiot who got caught because he crossed too many lines.  An RB/WR/DB coach is the highest level that any of the conversations should take place in connection to your program, if any.

On 12/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, Hans Gruber said:

2) A booster doesn't need any connection to the football program to pay a kid. All he needs to know is if a kid is in town on a visit (and he can easily find this out online now) and he can magically " bump" into him. If a coach on staff is needed for help it's a GA or a position coach at the highest. 

16 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

I bet the LSU compliance office is having a nightmare of a week with the smoking/money/etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told here by some people that didn't read the article that cheating is cheating and will stop when it's reported.

We're still waiting and it was on national television.  But I guess I'm just a flat earther for believing in incentive.

1 minute ago, TonyStalloni said:

There are ways to pay a young man and his family for attending a university.  He can be told that every week/month while he is enrolled he and his family/mother will receive a debit card with $100/$250/$500 loaded on it.  Let it arrive in the mail with no return address.  

Yep.  Pretty hard to prove that s#!t, and what kind of person is going to rat someone out for taking care of his mom?

• Plus1 1