Husker Football In a New Decade

Although there is some debate about when a new decade starts (year ending with zero or one?), most folks seem to associate a year ending with a Zero to be the start of a new decade.
If so, we are currently plunging into a new decade of the 2020s.

With this in mind, it’s time to consider what the next ten years of Husker football will be like. Maybe Nostradamus has some Husker predictions buried somewhere within those quatrains?
Anything about Kings-of-the-North rising in there? If not, then it’s left for us to try to divine the answers.

Husker football has had those two great decade success stories, the 1970s and 1990s. The 1960s was the decade that saw the Huskers transform into the modern era of college ball.

The other decades left over since then have been less than satisfying (sometimes painful and frustrating) and certainly not up to what Huskers fans want and have come to expect.

What do we know for sure? Coach Frost will write the ending of the story of his personal Husker coaching legacy. He will either be the leader who resurrected the program back from mediocrity, or he will just hold serve and see the Huskers back in the pack and mostly out of the national spotlight, or the Huskers might actually...regress? That last one doesn’t seem likely. So, the Huskers will either stay the same or get better. And, if they get better, will it be a quick turnaround or a slow steady moving up in the next few years?

Whatever happens, Husker fans will be there. The Sea of Red will be a sea of red. This program is too much a part of the State and region’s DNA to be otherwise. The usual roadblocks of Ohio State and Michigan and Wisconsin and the rest will be there. The Huskers will book some Prime Time games again and get a chance to shine to the nation like they used to. There are those in sports media around the country who really hope to see the Huskers be the Huskers again.

So, a new decade of Cornhusker football is here. Some things change, and some things stay the same.

• Haha 2

You fail to mention the 1980s, but as a kid in that decade it was a very memorable decade for Husker football. Yeah, there wasn’t a national championship, but the 1980s brought Osborne’s switch to a run-heavy offense with a dual threat QB, numerous years where NU was a game or even play away from a national championship, the conference rival switching from Oklahoma to Colorado, and years of failing against the Florida teams in bowl games for Osborne to start thinking about changing schemes on defense (although the 1990 season made Osborne finally do it in 1991).

NU won the Big 8 championship in half of the years in the 1980s, so it was a very successful season. It’s arguable that NU had better decade overall than the 1970s, as NU had a slightly better win percentage and was more consistent throughout the 1980s. It didn’t have the peaks of 70-71, but Osborne was a much better coach in the 80s vs 70s. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You fail to mention the 1980s, but as a kid in that decade it was a very memorable decade for Husker football. Yeah, there wasn’t a national championship, but the 1980s brought Osborne’s switch to a run-heavy offense with a dual threat QB, numerous years where NU was a game or even play away from a national championship, the conference rival switching from Oklahoma to Colorado, and years of failing against the Florida teams in bowl games for Osborne to start thinking about changing schemes on defense (although the 1990 season made Osborne finally do it in 1991).

NU won the Big 8 championship in half of the years in the 1980s, so it was a very successful season. It’s arguable that NU had better decade overall than the 1970s, as NU had a slightly better win percentage and was more consistent throughout the 1980s. It didn’t have the peaks of 70-71, but Osborne was a much better coach in the 80s vs 70s. 

I had the awesome "Scoring Explosion"  poster on my wall forever.  For all I know mom sill has it in a box.

• Plus1 1

22 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I think we will see a rise into competitiveness again, meaning 9-10 win seasons, BIG Championship games, and if we are lucky, a playoff birth or 2.  But that is why they play the games, who really knows.

One thing seems fairly certain, we will live or die with Scott.

I hope Nebraska fans are patient. 2020 and 2021 are going to be difficult. I don't see a bowl game either year, with several likely blowouts.

I think that there's a chance at bowl games and B1G West competitiveness by the middle of the decade. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I hope Nebraska fans are patient. 2020 and 2021 are going to be difficult. I don't see a bowl game either year, with several likely blowouts.

I think that there's a chance at bowl games and B1G West competitiveness by the middle of the decade. 

If we miss a bowl the first 4 seasons of the Frost tenure I would guess recruiting dies 

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

We're going to a bowl next year, and will be competitive in 21. The schedule doesn't seem as daunting when you're a decent team.  As soon as they start to believe they can win this thing will take off.  They are close, things aren't nearly as bad as you portray.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1