Husker Football In a New Decade

11 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Couple things here.  The times are different than in the 90's when we were one of a handful of teams consistently on television.  We probably will never be the dominant team of the 90's.  But at the same time saying Nebraska can't consistently be in the BIG Title game is equally off.  We recruit better than any team in the West Division, and that is true even after 3 losing seasons.  Our fan base/support does seperate us from the rest of the West to some degree.  Now we only have 5-10 years of that same fan support if we continue to struggle.  I think we CAN be in the BIG Title game on a consistent basis and maybe make the playoffs if we pull one out in a few of those Title games.  I know times have been hard, but lets not completely lose perspective and say we cant be a top 15 team and the best in the BIG West more than anyone else.

I pretty much agree with most of what you said. I dont think we should expect Husker football be what the 90's was ALL the time. I think most people want the cumulative average of what we had in the 60's-early 2000's. Which was 9+ wins seasons pretty much every year. With many 10+ win seasons. Living in the top 15-20 pretty much every year. Winning division titles, conference titles or being capable of doing so pretty much every year. 

Being on a level playing field with about anyone in the country- then from time to time compete for Natty's. Sometimes winning sometimes not winning. That is pretty much where we were for 40 years. I dont think most people think we have to be in the 90's now and forever. That could happen for a few years- look at Bama and Clemson. You get the right collection of talent from a few recruiting classes and it can happen. But I dont think most people think that is what is going to happen for 30 straight years.

11 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Couple things here.  The times are different than in the 90's when we were one of a handful of teams consistently on television.  We probably will never be the dominant team of the 90's.  But at the same time saying Nebraska can't consistently be in the BIG Title game is equally off.  We recruit better than any team in the West Division, and that is true even after 3 losing seasons.  Our fan base/support does seperate us from the rest of the West to some degree.  Now we only have 5-10 years of that same fan support if we continue to struggle.  I think we CAN be in the BIG Title game on a consistent basis and maybe make the playoffs if we pull one out in a few of those Title games.  I know times have been hard, but lets not completely lose perspective and say we cant be a top 15 team and the best in the BIG West more than anyone else.

Yeah, but one-time powers can fall and not come back – Miami, USC, etc. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, the Berlin Wall came down and Kansas State became good in football. So I guess anything's possible.

18 minutes ago, ReddyRed said:

Yeah, but one-time powers can fall and not come back – Miami, USC, etc. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, the Berlin Wall came down and Kansas State became good in football. So I guess anything's possible.

I just think the defeatist attitude makes no sense when history says otherwise. Clemson won a Natty in the early 80's. Then went 30 years basically being irrelevent- now look at them. Notre Dame went like 25 years from the late 80's early 90's until 5 or 6 years ago when they hired the right coach and got good again. It took Alabama from early 90's to 2009 to get back. Its been 10 years since Florida did anything- 15 years for Miami. 10-15 years for USC. 

Oregon went from a nothing program to what they are today because they had financial support. Oklahoma went 15 years of being bad. 

I just think it is silly to think the program is dead. It was just what like 2008-2015 or whatever the exact pelini years were that we won at least 9 games every year and he didnt even recruit. If you have a coach who coaches and recruits I dont know why the expectations would be much higher than 9 games since we just proved in a 7 year stretch less like 5 years ago its possible.

• Thanks 1
On 12/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, BigRedBuster said:

I would hope to have multiple West championships this decade with a conference championship. I don’t see that being unreasonable. 

agreed.

I think 2022 will be our 'coming out year'.    Besides our normal West Div rivals - Michigan is the main East Division rival we play (at Mich however).  I don't expect current Mich coach to be around after he loses 2 more times to OSU.   We have Okla in Lincoln as our big non conf game.  Wisc and Iowa are away games which will make it more challenging.  But I think we will be a different team then.  McCaffery most likely will be QB and we've seen a bit of his versatility this year.

2023 hopefully Scott's system is running on all cylinders and the year is a cake walk ( CAKE WALK - YES AN ARROGANT ENTITLED HUSKER STATEMENT I KNOW - THUS THE WORD 'HOPEFULLY' AS A  QUALIFIER  ) if that is ever possible in the big 10 - we have Colorado as the big non conf game - time to beat them.  Mich, Wis, Iowa are all in Lincoln.

If 2022 & 23 are successful, I think we will look for a decade of West championships, and hopefully a playoff appearance or two.

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just think the defeatist attitude makes no sense when history says otherwise. Clemson won a Natty in the early 80's. Then went 30 years basically being irrelevent- now look at them. Notre Dame went like 25 years from the late 80's early 90's until 5 or 6 years ago when they hired the right coach and got good again. It took Alabama from early 90's to 2009 to get back. Its been 10 years since Florida did anything- 15 years for Miami. 10-15 years for USC. 

Oregon went from a nothing program to what they are today because they had financial support. Oklahoma went 15 years of being bad. 

I just think it is silly to think the program is dead. It was just what like 2008-2015 or whatever the exact pelini years were that we won at least 9 games every year and he didnt even recruit. If you have a coach who coaches and recruits I dont know why the expectations would be much higher than 9 games since we just proved in a 7 year stretch less like 5 years ago its possible.

Yeah, but Clemson, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami and USC aren't located in the middle of nowhere. And I don't think the program is dead. Some of us just think there's nothing wrong with 6, 7 or 8 win seasons and that "expecting" more than that, on a consistent basis, is just unrealistic in the new landscape of college football. And don't be surprised by a few 4 or 5 win seasons thrown in there as well.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ReddyRed said:

Yeah, but Clemson, Notre Dame, Florida, Miami and USC aren't located in the middle of nowhere. And I don't think the program is dead. Some of us just think there's nothing wrong with 6, 7 or 8 win seasons and that "expecting" more than that, on a consistent basis, is just unrealistic in the new landscape of college football. And don't be surprised by a few 4 or 5 win seasons thrown in there as well.

The thing is there is one common denominator to all those teams rise back to the top. It has nothing to do with their location or the temperature. The common denominator was they hired the right coach. That is what I am trying to say here, that is the #1 thing that dictates the state of any program. Sure having local talent makes things easier. But if you got the right coach talent will follow. There are tons of southern schools without good coaches loaded with talent but they are mediocre. The ones who are great have the talent plus they pay for a top notch coach. 

Honestly the last 10 years the northern schools have stepped their game up and went after more elite coaches so you have seen an uptick in recruiting and on field performance. Notre Dame, Ohio State(I know they were solid under tressel but Urban Meyer took them to a new standard of recruiting and talent), Penn State, and Michigan(I know there are a lot of haters on harbaugh for under performing but he has recruited at a top 10 level. 

I find it odd that there is 1 narrative that says northern football teams are done because all the talent is in the south, yet I think almost anyone who follows college football would say the big10 is the 2nd best conference by far. 

3 hours ago, ReddyRed said:

Nothing is guaranteed.  Yes, its possible Nebraska becomes Minnesota.  However thats very unlikely with our fan base and how much we care here.  Miami, USC, dont care as much as Nebraska.  Now 10 years from now that could be different.  Another 10 years of irrelevance, Frost failing, and the generation of Nebraskans having never witnessed a nationally significant team, ever growing.  A program can fall and not come back, but we arent there yet.  Right now anyone under the age of 25 has no memory of Nebraska ever being in the hunt for a Championship, the younger generation of Nebraskans doesnt care the way the rest of us do.  If Frost cant get it done in the next 10 years, then i will start worrying about us veing gone for good.

Winning cures all ills........I am shocked that Frost and Co pulled in the class we did with 3 back to back losing seasons and no bowl game in 3 years.....Whatever he is selling, kids are buying.  He just now needs to develop these kids.  Establish a killer/mean/physical identity and we should see success. I also think he needs to develop a lot as a CEO/game manager/play caller.  He is getting the talent.  Time for him to step up and match the coaching with the talent.

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The thing is there is one common denominator to all those teams rise back to the top. It has nothing to do with their location or the temperature. The common denominator was they hired the right coach. That is what I am trying to say here, that is the #1 thing that dictates the state of any program. Sure having local talent makes things easier. But if you got the right coach talent will follow. There are tons of southern schools without good coaches loaded with talent but they are mediocre. The ones who are great have the talent plus they pay for a top notch coach. 

Honestly the last 10 years the northern schools have stepped their game up and went after more elite coaches so you have seen an uptick in recruiting and on field performance. Notre Dame, Ohio State(I know they were solid under tressel but Urban Meyer took them to a new standard of recruiting and talent), Penn State, and Michigan(I know there are a lot of haters on harbaugh for under performing but he has recruited at a top 10 level. 

I find it odd that there is 1 narrative that says northern football teams are done because all the talent is in the south, yet I think almost anyone who follows college football would say the big10 is the 2nd best conference by far. 

The right coach is huge.  If you feel Nebraska has the “right” one now, what is that based on besides hope?  

1 hour ago, ReddyRed said:

Iowa and Wisconsin consistently do better than 6,7,8 wins and dont' have 4,5 win seasons thrown in. So, if you're contending that Nebraska can never get back to the top, but can be a consistent decent team I'd look at those two as the floor.

However, I think Nebraska can and will get back to the top regardless of the landscape.

28 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

The right coach is huge.  If you feel Nebraska has the “right” one now, what is that based on besides hope?  

Here are my reasons for optimism for Frost.

1)  Frost is a Nebraska-native and NU alum, so he knows how the success of the football team is important to the foundation of the state and people.  He can sell top recruits what it's like to play at Nebraska.  He has a deep understanding of the overall program which Callahan, Bo, and Riley didn't.

2)  Frost has played for and coached with some of the best coaches in college and pro football.  These include:  Osborne, Walsh, Parcells, Belichik, Dungy, Tomlin, Snyder, and Kelly.  I think Frost has learned a great deal from these coaches, and tries to combine their philosophies with his own.

3)  Frost has played and coached at high levels on both sides of the ball.  While he is known as an offensive coach, he has extensive experience and knowledge of the defensive side, as well.

4)  Frost has experience in winning programs.  He was a winner at Nebraska as a player,  a winner at Oregon as an assistant coach, and was a winner at UCF as the head coach.  I think Frost knows what it takes to be a part and lead a winning program.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

2 pieces to my response. 

1. Whether Frost is the "right" coach or not. That doesnt determine if Nebraska will eventually make the right hire and get back. All former powers who have lost their way are in the same hire/fire cycle we are in. 

2. I believe Frost is the right guy for a few reasons. 

A. He has done a phenomenal job recruiting so far with no recent results to sell. This should only improve with better seasons. 

B. He was a great play caller at Oregon and UCF he did an amazing job- so he has a history of doing well. Not at the P5 level as HC- but there are some results to point to. 

C. It is not just Husker hype about Frost. The national media, other coaches and people in the industry seem to think the of world of Frost and think he could be the next "IT" coach. 

D. For the first time since 2003 when we fired Solich, everyone in the state, in the program and at the university is rowing the boat in the same direction and no longer looking back at past wrongs and picking sides. Everyone is in on Frost. The last time we had that was when Osborne was here and the early Solich years. 

E. I think you could the second half of the first year what things could look like with talent. This last year I dont know what happened and I dont want to pretend to know. I just know his time at UCF and the second half of his first year looked great. I can only imagine when he has a bunch of 4 star talent running around to work with. He has not had that since Oregon. 

F. He actually gives a s#!t about the success of Nebraska and will work his a$$ off until it happens. Without Nebraska roots I dont think we could have made a hire that would have worked as hard as him at making it happen. Then once he does make it happen- actually stick around and not bolt for another job. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

2 pieces to my response. 

1. Whether Frost is the "right" coach or not. That doesnt determine if Nebraska will eventually make the right hire and get back. All former powers who have lost their way are in the same hire/fire cycle we are in. 

2. I believe Frost is the right guy for a few reasons. 

A. He has done a phenomenal job recruiting so far with no recent results to sell. This should only improve with better seasons. 

B. He was a great play caller at Oregon and UCF he did an amazing job- so he has a history of doing well. Not at the P5 level as HC- but there are some results to point to. 

C. It is not just Husker hype about Frost. The national media, other coaches and people in the industry seem to think the of world of Frost and think he could be the next "IT" coach. 

D. For the first time since 2003 when we fired Solich, everyone in the state, in the program and at the university is rowing the boat in the same direction and no longer looking back at past wrongs and picking sides. Everyone is in on Frost. The last time we had that was when Osborne was here and the early Solich years. 

E. I think you could the second half of the first year what things could look like with talent. This last year I dont know what happened and I dont want to pretend to know. I just know his time at UCF and the second half of his first year looked great. I can only imagine when he has a bunch of 4 star talent running around to work with. He has not had that since Oregon. 

F. He actually gives a s#!t about the success of Nebraska and will work his a$$ off until it happens. Without Nebraska roots I dont think we could have made a hire that would have worked as hard as him at making it happen. Then once he does make it happen- actually stick around and not bolt for another job. 

Preach brother.  I get upset with the playcalling and decision making as much as anyone.  I was one of the most pissed off at Frost for taking Luke out of the Iowa game. But despite what i perceive as mistakes Frost made, i believe very strongly he is our guy.  Not in a we are stuck with him sense, but in a he is the best guy for Nebraska sense.  

When we get upset at how things are going i like to look into the future.  Lets just say we all got pissed at Frost and fired him.  Whoever replaced him would not be the same.  Even if he was a good coach, he wouldnt bleed Nebraska.  If he did good here, he would leave for Florida or Ohio State, hell he may leave for Arkansas cause it's in the SEC.  Even if he did well, Nebraska would be right back where we are now once he left for an easier job.  Nebraska is NOT an easy place to win. It is doable but it is not easy.  Also i have a feeling at SOME POINT Frost will be one of the best coaches in the game. Period. If we fired him, then 10 years down the road when he wins a championship at Florida or USC, we will all be talking about how stupid we were for letting him get away.  He is good, but very young.  There is no doubt in my mind, at this point, that he is the best guy FOR US, long term, possibly in the entire country.  

The way i see it.  Just as Freshman, and young athletes have growing pains.  Frost is a Freshman coach.  We had some serious growing pains this year.  But Frost is gonna be a good one at some point. He has been given some humility...frankly more than anyone would have imagined.  Like Paul from 2,000 years ago.  He bit off a lil more than he could chew.  But he has shown the humility to admit it to a degree.  Yes he makes some excuses, but you can tell he was humbled deep down.  Shows he is learning.  IMO one of the buggest reasons we underperformed this year was the QB Frost is so loyal to.  If AM had a good year, we would be 8-4 or so and everyone would be talking about how we are almost back.  Maybe his loyalty comes at a cost.  Maybe he takes it too far.  In his offense their is nothing that has more effect than a QB like Milton who is a winner and knows how to put the team on his back. If Luke or Smothers, or even AM comes back from the grave, we will compete and win lots of games as our defense slowly builds with each recruiting class.

I want to add, we got some solid and a few great football players in the last 2 years. Frost's first class was last minute, put together like a band-aid, and no better than any of our previous classes.  Most of his guys and our best players are freshman, redshirt freshman, or true sophmores next year.  I'm not saying Riley left us nothing.  We have an experienced OL, a few DB's and some TE's.  What i am saying is we should only get better over the next 3 years.  Next year is by no means when our talent is ready.  We have enough to make a bowl, and hopefully the young guys are good enough to contribute, but i like our last 2 classes.  What I'm saying is this may take one more year,  but at the same time, next year will show us alot about what Frost's staff can do with average talent.  If he can win 7 games or so that will be a good sign.  If he only wins 5, it will say to me that Frost can only win with better talent than his opposotion.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I want to add, we got some solid and a few great football players in the last 2 years. Frost's first class was last minute, put together like a band-aid, and no better than any of our previous classes.  Most of his guys and our best players are freshman, redshirt freshman, or true sophmores next year.  I'm not saying Riley left us nothing.  We have an experienced OL, a few DB's and some TE's.  What i am saying is we should only get better over the next 3 years.  Next year is by no means when our talent is ready.  We have enough to make a bowl, and hopefully the young guys are good enough to contribute, but i like our last 2 classes.  What I'm saying is this may take one more year,  but at the same time, next year will show us alot about what Frost's staff can do with average talent.  If he can win 7 games or so that will be a good sign.  If he only wins 5, it will say to me that Frost can only win with better talent than his opposotion.

You are making more and more sense as your time here goes on.  We may disagree on Adrian, but this post makes sense.