Husker Football In a New Decade

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

What I'm saying is this may take one more year,  but at the same time, next year will show us alot about what Frost's staff can do with average talent.  If he can win 7 games or so that will be a good sign.  If he only wins 5, it will say to me that Frost can only win with better talent than his opposotion.

Our talent isn't average. It's better than everyone in our division, and all but two of our 2020 opponents. 7 wins would still be a bit of a disappointment in the sense that we are not getting a proportionate return on the talent we have. I know we're not where Frost would like us to go as far as the roster, but we've got the roster to be a legitimate contender for the West and it's time to start seeing the product on the field reflect that. 

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are making more and more sense as your time here goes on.  We may disagree on Adrian, but this post makes sense.

I was drunk when i created my profile.  I say some dumb stuff sometimes just to make a point.  Also noticed your name....I lived in Steamboat for 2 years.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Our talent isn't average. It's better than everyone in our division, and all but two of our 2020 opponents. 7 wins would still be a bit of a disappointment in the sense that we are not getting a proportionate return on the talent we have. I know we're not where Frost would like us to go as far as the roster, but we've got the roster to be a legitimate contender for the West and it's time to start seeing the product on the field reflect that. 

Our recruiting classes have always been ranked higher than our divisional opponents, but we have lost so many guys to attrition, that what we have been left with isn't so.  We lost half of our first class under Frost.  Many guys off of our last couple Riley classes.  We don't have that many good players left from the 16' 17' and 18' classes.  

• Fire 4

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Our recruiting classes have always been ranked higher than our divisional opponents, but we have lost so many guys to attrition, that what we have been left with isn't so.  We lost half of our first class under Frost.  Many guys off of our last couple Riley classes.  We don't have that many good players left from the 16' 17' and 18' classes.  

We've lost a bunch and we've added a bunch. We're not where we want to be, but we're better off than everyone in our division. Time to start acting like it.

1 minute ago, Landlord said:

We've lost a bunch and we've added a bunch. We're not where we want to be, but we're better off than everyone in our division. Time to start acting like it.

Im not sure we have more talent in our upperclassmen than Wisconsin or Iowa .  But I agree that we have more than our performance level has been.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 10:57 AM, Huskers93-97 said:

The thing is there is one common denominator to all those teams rise back to the top. It has nothing to do with their location or the temperature. The common denominator was they hired the right coach. That is what I am trying to say here, that is the #1 thing that dictates the state of any program. Sure having local talent makes things easier. But if you got the right coach talent will follow. There are tons of southern schools without good coaches loaded with talent but they are mediocre. The ones who are great have the talent plus they pay for a top notch coach. 

Honestly the last 10 years the northern schools have stepped their game up and went after more elite coaches so you have seen an uptick in recruiting and on field performance. Notre Dame, Ohio State(I know they were solid under tressel but Urban Meyer took them to a new standard of recruiting and talent), Penn State, and Michigan(I know there are a lot of haters on harbaugh for under performing but he has recruited at a top 10 level. 

I find it odd that there is 1 narrative that says northern football teams are done because all the talent is in the south, yet I think almost anyone who follows college football would say the big10 is the 2nd best conference by far. 

Ohio State was 14-10 the two seasons before Tressel took over.  In his ten seasons as Ohio States coach, Tressel finished the season ranked in the top 10 eight times.  Tressel won exactly the same amount of NCs  in ten years at Ohio State as Meyer did in seven years.  I'm not sure how anyone could conclude there was an uptick in recruiting and on field performance under Meyer over Tressel.  Even before Tressel, Ohio State was recruiting top 10 recruiting classes.  Not only did Tressel leave Meyer a team absolutely stacked with talent, he left him a team that knew how and was used to winning.   

How far back do we want to go back and look at Notre Dame's recruiting?  In 2000, they had a top 10 class.  In 2001 and 2002, both classes came in ranked at #12.  In 03', they had a top 10 class.  Notre Dame may very well have had some stinkers as coaches, but they still recruited at a very high level.  Penn State and Michigan also recruited at a high level as well.  Both Rich Rod and Brady Hoke brought recruiting classes into Michigan that were top 10. 

After going back and looking at recruiting classes in the past couple of decades, one thing stands out.  Most of the schools recruiting top 10-15 classes in the early 2000's are the ones still recruiting classes in the top 10-15 for the most part.  I will give you that some of those same programs really weren't successful which leads one to believe that it has been more coaching than talent.  For the record, Nebraska is not on this list.  My only point to all of this is that when Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida, Florida State, Miami, USC, etc. hire the right coach; there can be an immediate turn around because these programs despite how poor their record is still is loaded with talent.  Nebraska has only had one top 10 recruiting class in the past two decades.  Bo used up this talent in 09' and 10'.  I'd venture to guess that it will take Frost at least five recruiting classes before we can compete with the big boys.  247 had last year's class ranked at #23.  They have this years class ranked at #18.  We still have a ways to go before we can compete week in and week out with the Ohio States out there.   

• Fire 1
40 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm not sure how anyone could conclude there was an uptick in recruiting and on field performance under Meyer over Tressel. 

Oh, that's very easy to argue. Tressel had the ever so slightly lower lows. He went 8-4 and finished 20th in his fourth season. He lost three games in his 8th season. His winning percentage was .828 compared to Meyer's .902. 

Recruiting, Tressel went 6th, 4th, 40th, 9th, 12th, 12th, 15th, 10th, 5th, 18th.

Meyer went 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 4th, 2nd, 2nd. 

Obvious uptick in both. 

18 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Bo used up this talent in 09' and 10'.  

Is that all a coach does is use up talent?  

Did Bo use up Demorrio Williams?  Lavonte David?  Or did he help make them?

Callahan was using up Suh, Bo unleashed him.

This is simple.  Boe was a better developer.  But he didnt care enough about recruiting.  As good as he was at developing players, we would have never been great under Bo.  Probably never this bad either.  We chose to shoot for the stars or die.  I didnt like the hire, or the timing of his fire.  But i do respect wanting to be more than Iowa....thats why Eichorst hired Riley.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

This is simple.  Boe was a better developer.  But he didnt care enough about recruiting.  As good as he was at developing players, we would have never been great under Bo.  Probably never this bad either.  We chose to shoot for the stars or die.  I didnt like the hire, or the timing of his fire.  But i do respect wanting to be more than Iowa....thats why Eichorst hired Riley.

Shoot for the stars? They didn't hire a .500 coach for wins they did it because he was a nice guy and they thought Bo was mean.

38 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Shoot for the stars? They didn't hire a .500 coach for wins they did it because he was a nice guy and they thought Bo was mean.

True, i realized the irony halfway through my sentence.  Thats what our AD said- that we dont want to be Iowa, and that 9-3 every year wasnt good enough.  So firing Bo was supposed to be to shoot for the stars.  Then he hired Mike Riley.....i think it was just a terrible AD move.  

Looking at our roster , i feel a little bit better about where we are headed than what i felt after the season.  Ive mentioned Riley didnt leave us much talent, and i didnt realize this until sfter signing day.  So our coaching and player development under this staff may not have been as bad as i thought.  I was looking in depth at our roster by position, and most of what SHOULD be our best players, are gonna be here at least 3 more years.

Offense-

OL- We didnt lose anybody from last year, but we lose Jaimes, Wilson, Raridon, and Farniok after next year, but we got guys like Jurgens, Piper, Corcoran and Benhart that will only be sophmores or freshman next year.  Corcoran and Jurgens could eventually be 2 of the best linemen in the conference, and we got them both for 4 and 3 more years respectively, along with a bunch of fairly rated OL with  3 or 4 more years here, if only 25% of them develop well that will give us 3 or 4 more alongside Jurgens and Corcoran giving us a very good starting OL.

QB- We dont lose anybody from last year, and we wont for the next year either.  We lose AM and Vedral after 2 more years, and we got Luke and Smothers for 4 more years.

RB-we dont really lose anyone from last year (Washington was hardly here, and Mazour isnt anyone we cant replace), we only lose Mills after next year, and we got Thompkins, Rhamire, Sevion, and Scott III for 4 more years.  

TE- we dont lose anyone from last year, and only lose Stoll after next year.  We have Rafdal, Vokolek, and Allen here for 2 more years, and guys like Hickman here for 4 more.  

WR- We lose Noa, Woodyard, and Williams from last year, and we only lose Spielman after next year.  We have Warner, MqQuitty, and Manning here for 2 more years, and guys like Wandale here for 3 more and Betts, Fleming, and Brown here for 4 more years.

Defense-

DL-We lose our entire starting line from last year, but only lose Stille after next year.  We have Keem Green, Daniels, Damian Jackson, Walker and Thomas for 2 more years (lots of unproven).  And Wildeman and Ty Robinson for 3 more, and Hutmacher and Gunnerson for 4 more. (We need a couple more here next class)

LB- we lose Barry and Davis from last year, which we wont miss much.  And we lose Honas, Miller, and Domann after next year.  We have Tanner and Eteva for 2 more years, and then a whole bunch of guys like Henrich, Hanna, Snodgrass, Nelson, and Keyshawn Greene for 3 or 4 more years.

DB- we lose Jackson and Lee from last year,  and Dismuke, Sullivan, and Bootle after next year. We have Cam Taylor and Deontai Williams for 2 more years.  We have Farmer, Newsome, Wright, Clark, Lynum, and Delancy, and 4* Pola-Gates 4* Gray and 4*Francois, for 4 more years.  

Conclusion:

We hardly lose anyone except for our DLine and Lamar Jackson.  And most of our best players will be here for at least 3 more years. We should only get better from here on out.  And 2 years from now we should be pretty good.  Every single position should be better than last year except for our DLine.  And every single position should keep getting better each year for the next 3 years.  The future looks alot brighter friends.

• Plus1 1