Husker Football In a New Decade

29 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah want to is whats holding Nebraska back. Thats the biggest difference i see when Nebraska plays the ohio state's. Not talent or coaching its just the lack of effort.

Really....hmmmm....not me.  There clearly is a talent difference between Nebraska and OSU. 

I think a physically less talented player can look like they have less effort, when in fact, they are giving their all but just getting beat. 

1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah want to is whats holding Nebraska back. Thats the biggest difference i see when Nebraska plays the ohio state's. Not talent or coaching its just the lack of effort.

If you think that is the issue, you should look a little closer.  Speed and size differences have been painfully obvious.  These are measurable things.  Talent and playmaking ability can be subjective but when you look at our low number of draft picks over the last several years, it's obvious that the NFL agrees.

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

If you think that is the issue, you should look a little closer.  Speed and size differences have been painfully obvious.  These are measurable things.  Talent and playmaking ability can be subjective but when you look at our low number of draft picks over the last several years, it's obvious that the NFL agrees.

I thought i was being obvious but i guess not. I was being sarcastic obviously Nebraska isn't on the same level talent wise with a top ten team.

• Plus1 1
On 12/28/2019 at 6:28 PM, ReddyRed said:

Agree. In retrospect, those expectations were way out of whack, and I think will continue to be. College football isn't what it was in the 1990s, and I've now accepted that any expectations of returning to that era of Husker football are a pipe dream. I honestly don't think there's a reasonable chance of winning a NC in the next 20 or 30 years, if ever. Too much has changed, and too much time has passed since the glory days. Too many teams in the Big 10 have as many or more advantages as NU, especially in recruiting areas (geography). I've decided to just enjoy the game for what it is, without dreaming about national, conference or even division titles. Bowl seasons with 6 or 7 wins, with an occasional 9-win season? I'll take it. I don't think anyone should expect more in this new era.

This pretty well sums up where I'm at and have been for the last few years. I feel lucky to have been able to witness / cheer for NU during its glory days, 5 NC, countless conf. championships, endless all-americans, many top bowl appearances and top notch play on the field over many decades. But, those days have become ancient history and won't be coming back again. Watching the games last Saturday as objectively as I could and realizing those teams are an order of magnitude or two above DONU truly saddens me but it is a fact. I don't realistically see any chance of NU winning a NC or even making the playoffs in my lifetime. I honestly don't see much chance of even getting back to the conf. championship game to get our butts kicked again more than once or twice a decade at best. And while the division might be obtainable it isn't going to happen very often. Next year, I'm thinking 6-6 would be a very successful season but think 5-7 or even worse is a more probable outcome. And I'd be pretty happy with 6-6.

• Thanks 1

I dont like Nebraska's chances of ever getting back to being as dominant as they were in the 90s but There's no reason Nebraska cant challenge for the west division title every year if frost is as good as everyone was saying he was a couple years ago. Personally i would be very happy if nebraska can make 1 or 2 big ten title game appearances every 4 years.

• Plus1 1
On 12/31/2019 at 5:33 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

Expectations and the willingness by the fans to show up and the university to dump money into the program is what separates us from a former fallen power like Minnesota who gave up and was happy to be like Iowa. 

How are we separate than Minnesota exactly? Since joining the B1G...

Minnesota is 63-52

4 wins against Nebraska

Nebraska is 65-50

5 wins against Minnesota

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

How are we separate than Minnesota exactly? Since joining the B1G...

Minnesota is 63-52

4 wins against Nebraska

Nebraska is 65-50

5 wins against Minnesota

They don’t have the fan support or the institutional support like Nebraska. Minnesota hasn’t won a title since like the 40s and they have not even been trying. 

How can people on here see Wisconsin with no rich tradition, same challenges as Nebraska if not worse. Yet they win 10-11 every year. Not sure how some don’t think doing better than that is unreasonable. They recruit in the 40s most years 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

They don’t have the fan support or the institutional support like Nebraska. Minnesota hasn’t won a title since like the 40s and they have not even been trying. 

How can people on here see Wisconsin with no rich tradition, same challenges as Nebraska if not worse. Yet they win 10-11 every year. Not sure how some don’t think doing better than that is unreasonable. They recruit in the 40s most years 

In the Wisky v Oregon game they showed Barry Alvarez in the stands and said that he established an identity when he went to Wisky and the coaches since, have continued with it...Physically tough and developing guys into stars.  I have no idea what our identity is under Frost.  Scheme (I am unsure what ours is) is not an identity IMHO.  I'd have to say it has been (for years) mistake prone, finding ways to lose and not being the most physical.  

Again, IMHO, if Frost can get the guys playing tough(er) than the opponent and win or lose, the other team gets it's a$$ kicked, I'm all "N" for that.  NU's only hope to return to prominence is to steal back our identity from Wisky.  Physical, dominant in the the trenches and develop guys.  Our recruiting will hopefully hasten thereturn if we can just play tough (and I like them to play mean as well).  

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The difference between NU and Wisconsin?  Wisconsin is better at being Nebraska than Nebraska is.  Add in superior coaching and Barry Álvarez and you see why they do what they do.  

19 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

The difference between NU and Wisconsin?  Wisconsin is better at being Nebraska than Nebraska is.  Add in superior coaching and Barry Álvarez and you see why they do what they do.  

I understand where things are today. My point is how can you say we should expect 6-7 with a great 9 nine year as a outlier season from time to time when Wisconsin who has less advantages than Nebraska? Yet they routinely win 10-11. We should be able to match and exceed their ceiling. Historically we have. We are a top 5 all time team. Or does the first 100+ years not matter just the last 10-15? I would side with the 90% to define NU football not the 10% even though it is the most recent. 

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I understand where things are today. My point is how can you say we should expect 6-7 with a great 9 nine year as a outlier season from time to time when Wisconsin who has less advantages than Nebraska? Yet they routinely win 10-11. We should be able to match and exceed their ceiling. Historically we have. We are a top 5 all time team. Or does the first 100+ years not matter just the last 10-15? I would side with the 90% to define NU football not the 10% even though it is the most recent. 

4 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

This pretty well sums up where I'm at and have been for the last few years. I feel lucky to have been able to witness / cheer for NU during its glory days, 5 NC, countless conf. championships, endless all-americans, many top bowl appearances and top notch play on the field over many decades. But, those days have become ancient history and won't be coming back again. Watching the games last Saturday as objectively as I could and realizing those teams are an order of magnitude or two above DONU truly saddens me but it is a fact. I don't realistically see any chance of NU winning a NC or even making the playoffs in my lifetime. I honestly don't see much chance of even getting back to the conf. championship game to get our butts kicked again more than once or twice a decade at best. And while the division might be obtainable it isn't going to happen very often. Next year, I'm thinking 6-6 would be a very successful season but think 5-7 or even worse is a more probable outcome. And I'd be pretty happy with 6-6.

Couple things here.  The times are different than in the 90's when we were one of a handful of teams consistently on television.  We probably will never be the dominant team of the 90's.  But at the same time saying Nebraska can't consistently be in the BIG Title game is equally off.  We recruit better than any team in the West Division, and that is true even after 3 losing seasons.  Our fan base/support does seperate us from the rest of the West to some degree.  Now we only have 5-10 years of that same fan support if we continue to struggle.  I think we CAN be in the BIG Title game on a consistent basis and maybe make the playoffs if we pull one out in a few of those Title games.  I know times have been hard, but lets not completely lose perspective and say we cant be a top 15 team and the best in the BIG West more than anyone else.