Husker Football In a New Decade

On 12/28/2019 at 7:28 PM, ReddyRed said:

Agree. In retrospect, those expectations were way out of whack, and I think will continue to be. College football isn't what it was in the 1990s, and I've now accepted that any expectations of returning to that era of Husker football are a pipe dream. I honestly don't think there's a reasonable chance of winning a NC in the next 20 or 30 years, if ever. Too much has changed, and too much time has passed since the glory days. Too many teams in the Big 10 have as many or more advantages as NU, especially in recruiting areas (geography). I've decided to just enjoy the game for what it is, without dreaming about national, conference or even division titles. Bowl seasons with 6 or 7 wins, with an occasional 9-win season? I'll take it. I don't think anyone should expect more in this new era.

Well, if that's going to be the new normal, then - IMO - NU had better be expecting other things to change beyond the W-L record:

1) A perennial 6-7 win team should not expect to sell out Memorial Stadium

2) A perennial 6-7 win team has no business paying the head coach $5 million per year

3) A perennial 6-7 win team should think long and hard about things like building a new $155 million football facility

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Huskers Way said:

Well, if that's going to be the new normal, then - IMO - NU had better be expecting other things to change beyond the W-L record:

2) A perennial 6-7 win team has no business paying the head coach $5 million per year

3) A perennial 6-7 win team should think long and hard about things like building a new $155 million football facility

The salary of the coach is based on the market rate of the job, not the record. The cost of athletic facilities is also based on what other colleges are doing around the country, not the record of the team doing the upgrade in facilities. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Huskers Way said:

I tend to agree.  If you think mediocre is the long term expectation (win about half our games on average or even worse), then NU ought to be cutting staff, dumping money losing sports, ending all these new bldg projects and hiring more Mike Riley types not less.  Budget cuts.  Athletics aka Motel 6 but do shut the light off after midnight - save $$$.  

I think such plans are a terrible idea but planning to be losers is what too many are suggesting.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/3/2020 at 12:34 AM, Landlord said:

We've lost a bunch and we've added a bunch. We're not where we want to be, but we're better off than everyone in our division. Time to start acting like it.

This.  Every team suffers injuries, attrition, transfers, guys not panning out etc......Win and scheme with what you have and not what you want.  Time to drop the excuses and pick up some accountability. We have better talent.  Time for the staff to develop it and use it.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

This.  Every team suffers injuries, attrition, transfers, guys not panning out etc......Win and scheme with what you have and not what you want.  Time to drop the excuses and pick up some accountability. We have better talent.  Time for the staff to develop it and use it.

I agree with most of this, but not many teams have had as much attrition as we have from our upper classes.  If i was a gambling man, i would be putting my money on Nebraska after next season.  We will probably have another year with less than 8 wins, the majority of the country will start to think Frost just isn't gonna get it done, even many husker fans will start to think that after one more year.  People will be sleeping on us as our talent rich 19' and 20' classes are finally sophomore and juniors.  We will probably be predicted to only win 7 games or so in 21', and we should be a good team that year.  

Our biggest problem defensively was lack of quickness and speed in our backers and one safety spot.  We just got 2 very fast backers in Eteva and Keyshawn Greene, and Demorrio Williams is back from injury and has much more speed than Eric Lee had.  Also our 2 new Safeties Francois and Gray are both 4*.

Our biggest problem offensively, well we had a few. Quarterback play, receiver play, and OL.

By the end of the year our OL was actually average.  And we return everyone plus Gaylord and a bunch of young guys with another year of development.  OL should be pretty good next year, and fairly deep.  We got some stud receivers coming in, and Omar Manning should be ready immediately.  Quarterback play should be much better as AM should be better, and if he isn't than we got Luke or Vedral, both of who should be better than AM was this year.  We're gonna be ok.

My only position of worry is our DL, were gonna miss Daniels, but with every other position group both on offense and defense being better next year, we will be be a better team.