Luke McCaffrey as..........

lo country

So I'm watching the Panthers vs Saints this afternoon and I continue to have the same thoughts I had all this season with the Huskers.  The Saints hit a home run with Taysom Hill.  IF 2AM wins the QB race for 2020, why not use Luke like the Saints to Taysom.  Taysom is listed as 6'2/221 and Luke is listed as 6'2/200...They use him as a receiver, slot receiver, QB, wildcat QB, RB etc......He is a playmaker and makes things happen.  Watching Luke in limited duty last season, he is a tough runner and took some hits.  Another season of lifting and he gets bigger and more durable.  IMHO, he is too dynamic to sit on the bench the entire season.  Again, maybe 10-12 snaps per game in the positions mentioned above.....Give DC's something else to think about in that he might be a decoy, might get the direct snap, double pass etc......It's off season.....What can I say.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 4

Yeah, we could really cause defensive coordinator headaches by putting two QBs on the field at once.  It seems like lining McCaffrey up at WR or slot would cause the defense to keep an eye out for trick plays.   

• Plus1 1

Not only do I agree ... but I would think that this idea/though/concept would/could/should carry to Smothers as well.  Heck, rather than create a QB controversy, it might do well to make AM and LM interchangeable more than a few set plays ... that is ... if the confidence of AM and/or a clear cut leader doesn't emerge.  As well, AM night actually be very dangerous in the position you are suggesting for LM.  

Great off-season thought.  Grateful to see another off-season to see if AM can really gain his confidence back.  I expect that too happen ... but I am certainly wanting Luke to be more involved regardless, even with all the new WR and RB additions.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Imagine all the ineffective side to side passes they could dream up with two QBs in the game. I hope there is an honest QB competition for next year. 

The sad thing is, a lot of teams use the swing pass to great success.   NU not so much.  Maybe since Cally and Marlon Lucky......Seems like we really telegraph the play or do things like motion to the swing side to bring over the LB'er.....Like what was pointed out swing pass after swing pass vs Iowa....

23 minutes ago, lo country said:

The sad thing is, a lot of teams use the swing pass to great success.   NU not so much.  Maybe since Cally and Marlon Lucky......Seems like we really telegraph the play or do things like motion to the swing side to bring over the LB'er.....Like what was pointed out swing pass after swing pass vs Iowa....

The swing pass doesn’t work very well when there is no deep threat to keep the defense deep and in the middle of the field. Iowa was playing their safety 5 yards from the LOS because they weren’t afraid of anyone burning them deep. That’s why they had success defending NU’s swing passes. Plus, they are a very good tackling team. 

• Plus1 4
22 minutes ago, lo country said:

Yep, I watched the swing pass have some great success yesterday in a few different games. 

Every time a team ran it, it looked way different than ours though, at least in the way that the defense was defending. What I saw work to perfection was the team would have 2 WR to the side, they would run the outside WR on a fly and they would float the slot WR to the sideline. The only other defender out there was a LB or Nickel playing about 10 -12 yards off of the slot WR every time. 

The crazy thing is when other teams ran it, it wasn't anything surprising or exceptional, it was usually actually fairly slow developing. The main difference was that the person guarding the slot WR would never jump the swing pass route (something that every single team does automatically when we run it, not to mention they are playing about 3-5 yards off of us). 

All the guy would do is catch the ball, had 10 yards of open field and (ONE) slower less athletic defender on him every single time.

• Plus1 1

I also like what you're saying and fully agree we need to figure out ways to get him on the field more.  He's a gamer and seems to elevate the play of those around him.  As you mentioned, Luke doesn't have the Taysom's size has but may be more elusive.  I'm not sure beefing up our QBs buys us that much.  Particularly, if they are unwilling to use the additional weight to lower the boom on defenders.

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The swing pass doesn’t work very well when there is no deep threat to keep the defense deep and in the middle of the field. Iowa was playing their safety 5 yards from the LOS because they weren’t afraid of anyone burning them deep. That’s why they had success defending NU’s swing passes. Plus, they are a very good tackling team. 

Not only this, but those plays were there if the other receivers executed their blocks.  I'm not sure if you could see it on TV, but most of those failed plays were due to a WR or TE blocking the wrong guy or completely whiffing on his block.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1