Former Nebraska DC and UConn HC Bob Diaco Returns To B1G As DC At Purdue

seaofred92

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not worried about the secondary. Jackson was good in his last year but Clark and Taylor-Britt can be just as good imo. Williams back at safety will be a big help. We were pretty bad at LB last year honestly expect new guys to fill those gaps better than what we had. D line is a concern but we've recruited some studs. Ty Robinson will end up being a force I think. Not to say we are going to be great, but I can say with some confidence we will be better than Purdue on D in week 1

Losing Williams basically destroyed our ability to go nickel 

• Plus1 2

Can Frost handle the strain of Purdue in the opener?  Not many Offensive minded guys can, this will be our greatest challenge yet!  This could truly set the tone for our whole season. Hell, our whole DECADE hangs in the balance of deciphering the complexities of the Bob Diaco 4-3 3-4 2-5 69-420 7-11 Multiple D 8-12 Defense...I fear we may have to fold the program.  The sell out streak could end.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Not saying you're wrong we lose a lot on D, but I think there is potential for new guys to actually come in and be better. I'm in wait and see on the D and you could totally be right.

On an interesting note though, our D only gave up 40+ once last year to tOSU. So, it's obviously totally possible, but you'd hope with another year in the system and their guys we could keep everyone under 40 next year.

The talent on defense is there, it's it hasn't developed yet. It's a lot to ask for new guys, no matter how talented, to come in and face a potential top 25 offense for their first game. 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

The talent on defense is there, it's it hasn't developed yet. It's a lot to ask for new guys, no matter how talented, to come in and face a potential top 25 offense for their first game. 

Purdue has some dudes on offense, but it's a little soon to call them top 25. They were 53rd/29th in PPG/YPG in 2018, 89th/75th last year. I know Moore/Sindelar were injured last year, but they're going to be pretty one dimensional. A lot of teams are potential top 25 offenses, I just wouldn't bet on Purdue as one of them playing in the Big Ten.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, EZ-E said:

I know talent is an easy excuse for the past two years and not everyone agrees. However, the fact that losing one player at the start of the year took away an entire and critical defensive package from our defense speaks to how bad our depth/talent levels have been.

36 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I know talent is an easy excuse for the past two years and not everyone agrees. However, the fact that losing one player at the start of the year took away an entire and critical defensive package from our defense speaks to how bad our depth/talent levels have been.

Nobody wants to hear it at all. However, had two transition classes on our roster in 15 and 18, a 17 class that was light on numbers given at least two coaches didn't fill their quotas, and due to matters that have been discussed we didn't have the perfect transition QB for year 1 in Joe Burrow on our roster. 

All this being said, we can be of the opinion that our talent has sucked these first two years and also believe that we still should have gone bowling both years. These things can both be true. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Makes me laugh that people are going to chalk up Purdue as a win because they hired Diaco, especially after a season where Purdue had to play a 3rd string walk-on QB and he beat us.  

I can buy that he's a better coach than he showed here, and having his assistants on board will help. But he coached us to literally the worst P5 defense in the country, and as far as talent/personnel he inherited a much better situation here than he does at Purdue. Same problems with moving 4-3 players to a 3-4, but with less overall talent. We can't chalk anything up as a win at this point, but I like our chances more than before they hired him.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, EZ-E said:

Agreed, but on the other hand I can't really understand why we wanted a Nickel package that much in the first place in a run-heavy conference. Keying in on the Nickel could have been great against Purdue and Indiana (two games we really, really needed to win but didn't). But, in my opinion isn't that much of an asset in the B1G.

It's one of the things I notice about Chinander: The guy loves being "multiple." He loves a strong-side outside backer that's in between the size of a defensive end and a regular OLB. He loves the variability in lining up in a 5-2, 4-3, or 3-4, and sometimes even Nickel. 

But he really needs to first figure out which personnel he can put out on the field in 2020 that can stop the run.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed, but on the other hand I can't really understand why we wanted a Nickel package that much in the first place in a run-heavy conference. Keying in on the Nickel could have been great against Purdue and Indiana (two games we really, really needed to win but didn't). But, in my opinion isn't that much of an asset in the B1G.

It's one of the things I notice about Chinander: The guy loves being "multiple." He loves a strong-side outside backer that's in between the size of a defensive end and a regular OLB. He loves the variability in lining up in a 5-2, 4-3, or 3-4, and sometimes even Nickel. 

But he really needs to first figure out which personnel he can put out on the field in 2020 that can stop the run.

I think I'm getting your premise, but not having a nickel package at all hurts in a conference we're seeing go more and more 11 and 12 personnel. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, EZ-E said:

I think I'm getting your premise, but not having a nickel package at all hurts in a conference we're seeing go more and more 11 and 12 personnel. 

Yeah. And I think JoJo is decent as a Nickel...but also, he's one of our better tacklers. So when he mans up against somebody in the slot (or a tight end that goes out for a pass), if it's a delayed handoff we just get killed. Both Minnesota and Wisconsin did this to us, forcing JoJo to be taken out of the play.

Basically, we just need more talent  all around on defense. And that goes back to the original comment of missing Williams this season.