Former Nebraska DC and UConn HC Bob Diaco Returns To B1G As DC At Purdue

seaofred92

IIRC, BD was not a good fit with the previous staff.  Perhaps he wasn't used to hard work being optional for starters.  Perhaps he wasn't used to having his defensive coaches tell the players to something else besides what BD was preaching.  Perhaps he wasn't used to players who did not do what they were asked to do on purpose (I believe Mo Barry said or implied that).  I would not neccessarily assume he will bomb, but I would certainly be happy if he did.

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Oh boy.  If he does well there I'm pretty sure about 90% of Husker fan's heads will explode

A coach has to have some buy-in from his colleagues and his team.  Diaco was brought in after whats his name supposedly fired his friend of 20 yrs.  Yeah right.  Eichorst made Riley fire Banker or otherwise Eichorst did it himself and then they brought in Diaco.  Diaco had no chance here, the players and staff gave him no chance.  A D1 coordinator is kind of like a big time evangelical preacher.  You've got to know your bible a little, but you've got to get people believing you are speaking the truth.  THEN it is cash money time. 

Thing is, nobody at NU even gave him a shot.  No buy-in whatsoever even from the 15 people who actually knew who he was in the hallway, and didn't mistake him for a piss ant graduate asst. 

I have no doubt the guy can put together a decent defense at Purdue, if they just care enough to listen, and buy some of the BS and just go with it .  He will put in 4-6 yrs there, make cool mill and help the team get som 6-8 win seasons.  And no one will be any the more sad.  GO PURDUE boil-on! or something

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, drfish said:

IIRC, BD was not a good fit with the previous staff.  Perhaps he wasn't used to hard work being optional for starters.  Perhaps he wasn't used to having his defensive coaches tell the players to something else besides what BD was preaching.  Perhaps he wasn't used to players who did not do what they were asked to do on purpose (I believe Mo Barry said or implied that).  I would not neccessarily assume he will bomb, but I would certainly be happy if he did.

I have no idea about all that- but sounds legit. But I do remember people being excited when we got him because of what he accomplished at Notre Dame. So he hasnt been a flop everywhere he has been. But he will not have Notre Dame talent at purdue.

Diaco traditionally sucks between th 20s and then really buckles down in the redzone. We'll see what he tries to run at Purdue. My guess is that there isn't gonna be a worse first game to try to get things figured out than playing us on the road. Think Oregon 2017 in the first half. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, EZ-E said:

Diaco traditionally sucks between th 20s and then really buckles down in the redzone. We'll see what he tries to run at Purdue. My guess is that there isn't gonna be a worse first game to try to get things figured out than playing us on the road. Think Oregon 2017 in the first half. 

It'll probably help him that our defense will be getting gashed as well. Probably worse than his is. 

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We will see about that. I for one think we will look solid on D. Not spectacular, but solid.

I hope you are right, but I just don't see it. We are losing our entire starting DL, one who majorly helped this team in Daniels, our best cover corner, OLB talent is still subpar, ILB is still a question mark until proven otherwise, and we are playing a healthy Moore with a Purdue offense who is returning a majority of it's starters including Bell. That is way to many question marks going up against one of the top offensives on paper for 2020 we will face. I fully expect us to give up 40+.

3 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I hope you are right, but I just don't see it. We are losing our entire starting DL, one who majorly helped this team in Daniels, our best cover corner, OLB talent is still subpar, ILB is still a question mark until proven otherwise, and we are playing a healthy Moore with a Purdue offense who is returning a majority of it's starters including Bell. That is way to many question marks going up against one of the top offensives on paper for 2020 we will face. I fully expect us to give up 40+.

Not saying you're wrong we lose a lot on D, but I think there is potential for new guys to actually come in and be better. I'm in wait and see on the D and you could totally be right.

On an interesting note though, our D only gave up 40+ once last year to tOSU. So, it's obviously totally possible, but you'd hope with another year in the system and their guys we could keep everyone under 40 next year.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Not worried about the secondary. Jackson was good in his last year but Clark and Taylor-Britt can be just as good imo. Williams back at safety will be a big help. We were pretty bad at LB last year honestly expect new guys to fill those gaps better than what we had. D line is a concern but we've recruited some studs. Ty Robinson will end up being a force I think. Not to say we are going to be great, but I can say with some confidence we will be better than Purdue on D in week 1

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

I hope you are right, but I just don't see it. We are losing our entire starting DL, one who majorly helped this team in Daniels, our best cover corner, OLB talent is still subpar, ILB is still a question mark until proven otherwise, and we are playing a healthy Moore with a Purdue offense so is returning a majority of it's starters including Bell. That is way to many question marks going up against one of the top offensives on paper for 2020 we will face. I fully expect us to give up 40+.

We do return 2 guys on the DL who got starters reps all year (Stille) or at least parts of it (D. Thomas), but I agree we probably won't be better there. But I think the back 8 will be better - LBs have more guys pushing for jobs, and while losing Lamar hurts getting Deontai back, returning everyone else, and having better safety depth offsets that in my mind.

Bell and Moore are scary, but Plummer really isn't and they lose Hopkins who I think was their best offensive player last year. Bell had slightly better numbers, but it's easier to put up numbers as a receiver. I think it'll be the type of game where Plummer throws for 300+ and we worry about our pass D, but they can't punch it in and settle for a lot of field goals. I'm sure Diaco isn't actually as bad as he was here, but I assume they will be transitioning to a 3-4 which is a big change. Unless Lorenzo Neal gets another year of eligibility to be their NT, I think it'll be a rough switch - Karlaftis will be a beast as an OLB, but they don't have the other pieces as far as I can tell.