Former Nebraska DC and UConn HC Bob Diaco Returns To B1G As DC At Purdue

seaofred92

25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Great might be a little bit of a stretch - he had several very good years, and one unbelievable year which is looking more like an outlier...

...Also one correction on me saying he coached us to the worst P5 defense in the country, that was Cosgrove I was thinking of. 2017 had a handful of teams worse than us, as hard as it is to believe that.

Okay, Diaco was a good DC that flirted with greatness on at least one occasion. Is that better? :D

And folks don't remember how bad Cosgrove was as DC and how poorly his defense complimented Callahan's offense. If Bill would have fired his friend and brought in even a Top 40 DC...I still contend Callahan would be our head coach still to this very day. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Okay, Diaco was a good DC that flirted with greatness on at least one occasion. Is that better? :D

And folks don't remember how bad Cosgrove was as DC and how poorly his defense complimented Callahan's offense. If Bill would have fired his friend and brought in even a Top 40 DC...I still contend Callahan would be our head coach still to this very day.

Sorry, I know I'm a pedant. :thumbs

Yeah, looking back I definitely had Diaco in the same category and Cosgrove was measurably worse. What's weird is we had top-25 defenses in 2005-06, then absolute trash in 2007. My memories of that time are a little hazy, but I do remember we lost basically our whole starting DL after 2006 so they may have been propping Cosgrove up. But among the guys returning were Zach Potter, Barry Turner, Ty Steinkuhler, Pierre Allen, and of course Suh. And yet Cosgrove thought fattening Dillard up to play nose was the way to go.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I say this all the time.  Cosgrove was way worse than disco, if Callahan fired him then we would have consistently been a top 20 team.

• Plus1 1
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, Landlord said:

He'll be a good DC for them. Much better than average Nebraska fan believes.

Diaco didn't get much of a chance here.  Riley was living on borrowed time and the D didn't have a lot of 3-4 guys.  It should have taken 2-3 recruiting classes to get to a decent 3-4 defense.  Starting with Diaco, NU has been running the 3-4 base D for three years.  the D has gotten better each year but still not where it should be.  need a really mean SOB at nose guard to be good.  Wish him the best (except against us and then I hope he stinks it up :)). 

• 11 months later...

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

So the answer for "how long can you coast on a Broyles award" is at least 8 years. And probably longer, I'm sure he'll get another analyst job paying him six figures to throw a couple suggestions out there. Then con somebody else into at least a position coach role. 

It’s pretty incredible. He’s gonna pop up as DC at like Kansas in 2 years, guy must give a hell of a job interview.