Travis Vokolek and Garrett Snodgrass are Scout-team MVPs

NUance

Scout-team MVPs hope to help Huskers more in 2020
By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON 5 hours ago

Both Travis Vokolek and Garrett Snodgrass hope they jump into bigger roles in 2020 after being named the offensive and defensive scout team MVPs for Nebraska in 2019, respectively.

"Snods, I think he just needed a year in the program to kind of get his feet wet," Nebraska head coach Scott Frost said of the York native recently on the Husker Sports Network. "But he kept coming on as the year went along and did an unbelievable job sacrificing for us on scout team."

Snodgrass did play in three games on special teams, and is someone to keep in mind at that middle linebacker spot along with guys from his class like Nick Henrich, Luke Reimer and Jackson Hannah, who will try to build the depth there in 2020.

Meanwhile, the tight end Vokolek, who transferred from Rutgers, certainly will bring a giant frame to the competition along with his Big Ten game experience.  LINK

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

Does Frost and/or Verduzco and/or Martinez just not like tight ends? (Insert sex joke)

Because it seems like they never throw to tight ends and haven't for years. 

? They used the TE quite a bit at UCF. Akins their TE was their 3rd leading reciever in 2017

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I should have added I meant at Nebraska. 

Mainly because they don’t have the combination of blocking and athleticism that they did with Akins. Stoll is pretty average as a receiver, and Allen isn’t a good enough blocker.

Hopefully the TE position will get more production with Vokolek and Hickman.  Those guys are the 2 most talented players at the position on the roster. 

I do think these guys will contribute, but that's largely unrelated to winning the awards. We do not have a great history of scout team MVPs becoming major contributors. It's hard to find a complete list, but here's some recent ones:

2014: Erik Evans/Zach Stovall (Defense), Jerald Foster/Mikale Wilbon (Offense)

2015: Alex Davis/Reid Karel (Defense), Christian Bailey/Jalin Barnett (Offense)

2016: Pernell Jefferson/Collin Miller (Defense), Tanner Lee/JD Spielman (Offense)

2017: Couldn't find

2018: Ryan Schommer (Defense), Wyatt Liewer (Offense)

Again, I don't want to be a downer because I am excited about these guys. But I was curious and looking back at past winners was largely unpleasant.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Ziebol said:

Agreed. Snodgrass is going to be a solid ST player.

Snodgrass should provide ST help and depth.  That is where solid 3 star kids should be counted on unless they force the coaches to put them on the field by performing.  They shouldn't be expected to start because we have no 4/5 star talent that lives up to the ranking as has been the case at LB for years at Nebraska.  Hopefully that is changing with Henrich and Greene then on to the future. 

• Plus1 1