Mark Helfrich, former Oregon HC and OC, now former Bears OC

16 hours ago, The Maudfather said:

Getting Helfrich on staff would be a slam dunk, IMO. 

I don't know about that.  He was Chip's OC in name only as Chip called the plays.  He floundered at Oregon mainly because he didn't recruit well.  He then went to the Bears, but again, was OC in name only as theIr HC called the plays.  I like Mark.  He's a smart guy, but a lot of his perceived success belongs to others.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

I don't know about that.  He was Chip's OC in name only as Chip called the plays.  He floundered at Oregon mainly because he didn't recruit well.  He then went to the Bears, but again, was OC in name only as theIr HC called the plays.  I like Mark.  He's a smart guy, but a lot of his perceived success belongs to others.  

Going 11-2 as a top ten team, then making it to the national championship game, then having a respectable 9 win top 20 season, then one really bad year is a hell of a way to flounder. Maybe the second best to ever do it behind Solich :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Going 11-2 as a top ten team, then making it to the national championship game, then having a respectable 9 win top 20 season, then one really bad year is a hell of a way to flounder. Maybe the second best to ever do it behind Solich :lol:

Larry Coker say "Hi"

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Sounds perfect for the Nebraska OC job where he also won't be calling the plays

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But if he doesnt recruit well I would pass. If Scott is going to call the plays and we just need a space filler coach. Why not make him an elite recruiter.

He was recruiting well as Oregons OC. I'm not saying he's the guy we should get but he would be a very solid hire. As would Mickey Joseph. At this point I'm not sure Walters is even leaving 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

If Frost is the OC. What would Helfrich do?

What does Walters do? Fill space because we need 10 coaches?

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

If Frost is the OC. What would Helfrich do?

There is a hell of a lot more to OC than just calling plays.  He would work very close with Frost with film study, game planning...etc.  He would be the top guy in Frost's ear on game days feeding him ideas on plays and offensive decisions.

People act like this is some odd thing to have the HC call plays and also have an OC.  It happens quite frequently.  

Chiefs' Bieniemy: Not playcaller, but has input

"Here's my response about the playcalling: coach (Andy) Reid has always done it his way, and that's how historically he's done it because he's Coach Reid," Bieniemy told ESPN. "He has a beautiful mind, and we all work hand-in-hand together. And he gives me the green light to do a number of things. I have input. I do scripts. I get the install. There are a number of things that I do."

• Plus1 2

Thing with bringing in Helfrich as OC is that if he's in then somebody has to be out and we have two guys that specialize in qb's. Can either coach another position at this level to make a reshuffling work?  If neither can it would be questionable use of spots to have two qb guys potentially stepping on each-other's toes while somebody else has to pull double-duty. to cover wr's. Do you move Mario to analyst then hire a wr-coach? 

12 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Thing with bringing in Helfrich as OC is that if he's in then somebody has to be out and we have two guys that specialize in qb's. Can either coach another position at this level to make a reshuffling work?  If neither can it would be questionable use of spots to have two qb guys potentially stepping on each-other's toes while somebody else has to pull double-duty. to cover wr's. Do you move Mario to analyst then hire a wr-coach? 

Here is what I think is going to happen.

Helfrich brought in as analyst.  He doesn't need a high paying job right now, as he's living off his Oregon and Chicago Bears buyouts.  He can support Frost as an analyst, while also working with his agent to put his name out there for bigger OC and Head Coaching jobs for the 2021 season.  He's basically taking a "year off" from full-time coaching, while staying involved in the game and helping a friend in Frost.

Mickey Joseph brought in as WR-coach and new OC to replace Walters.  This will be a promotion for Joseph, even though he won't call plays.  Frost will like this because Joseph is a stud recruiter in the South, and Joseph may bring some new ideas from having worked with Joe Brady at LSU.

Not sure what's going to happen with Beckton or a potential replacement if Beckton is being let go.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Here is what I think is going to happen.

Helfrich brought in as analyst.  He doesn't need a high paying job right now, as he's living off his Oregon and Chicago Bears buyouts.  He can support Frost as an analyst, while also working with his agent to put his name out there for bigger OC and Head Coaching jobs for the 2021 season.  He's basically taking a "year off" from full-time coaching, while staying involved in the game and helping a friend in Frost.

Mickey Joseph brought in as WR-coach and new OC to replace Walters.  This will be a promotion for Joseph, even though he won't call plays.  Frost will like this because Joseph is a stud recruiter in the South, and Joseph may bring some new ideas from having worked with Joe Brady at LSU.

Not sure what's going to happen with Beckton or a potential replacement if Beckton is being let go.

I had figured if Walters is leaving then Held would assume the OC gig. Or is that a definite no?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I had figured if Walters is leaving then Held would assume the OC gig. Or is that a definite no?

Held might be given title of running game coordinator, but the LJS released terms of Held's new contract (and raise) and Held's new salary is a bump to $400K, which is well below what typical OC's make.

I think one way Frost was able to lure Joseph away from LSU was to name him OC, which would be a nice pay raise and additional title.

• Plus1 1