Mark Helfrich, former Oregon HC and OC, now former Bears OC

Just now, Hedley Lamarr said:

I've heard we have an opening on staff still....

Right it seems like we would have to have an opening if we are reaching out to coaches to fill said opening. Obviously the talk is Walters  but what happened to the Beckton rumors? Is he staying now? This thing is a real mystery 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Right it seems like we would have to have an opening if we are reaching out to coaches to fill said opening. Obviously the talk is Walters  but what happened to the Beckton rumors? Is he staying now? This thing is a real mystery 

All I have heard the last few days is Walters, that name has been surrounded with smoke the whole time 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

All I have heard the last few days is Walters, that name has been surrounded with smoke the whole time 

With the recent title change with Austin it seems we are looking for a passing game coordinator if the Walters stuff is really true which it seems like it is.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:53 PM, southernoregonhusker said:

As I've stated before, Helfrich gets a lot of praise for work done by others.  

From who? Who are you referring to that is giving him that praise erroneously? 

We all know he didn't call plays. Nobody is arguing that he did. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great OC. That's not the only job of an OC. It is a huge managerial position day to day, which is over position coaches, gameplanning, film, practice habits, installing plays, identifying fronts and weaknesses from the press box, and so on.

Do you have specific knowledge of how good or bad Helfrich is at all of those things? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

From who? Who are you referring to that is giving him that praise erroneously? 

We all know he didn't call plays. Nobody is arguing that he did. That doesn't mean he wasn't a great OC. That's not the only job of an OC. It is a huge managerial position day to day, which is over position coaches, gameplanning, film, practice habits, installing plays, identifying fronts and weaknesses from the press box, and so on.

Do you have specific knowledge of how good or bad Helfrich is at all of those things? 

That is THE job of the OC and he didn't do it at Oregon or Chicago.  Chip controlled everything at Oregon and that's why there was such a dramatic downturn when he left.  For the Bears, he was the OC in name but was really the  run game coordinator per the Chicago Tribune.  As I stated before, his "success" at Oregon as the OC was really Chip and his "success" with Tribisky was really Matt Nagy.  

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That is THE job of the OC and he didn't do it at Oregon or Chicago.  Chip controlled everything at Oregon and that's why there was such a dramatic downturn when he left.  For the Bears, he was the OC in name but was really the  run game coordinator per the Chicago Tribune.  As I stated before, his "success" at Oregon as the OC was really Chip and his "success" with Tribisky was really Matt Nagy.  

:facepalm:

No....A HC that calls plays relies heavily on an OC to do everything Landlord described.

• Plus1 1