Drones

Not sure if this is related, but the headline links these drone sightings with a home in Lincoln.

Lincoln woman spots drone flying near her home

Chris Jacobs said she saw drones flying over her home between 8 and 10 p.m. Monday night.

"They were flying over us and as soon as we lost sight, we would see it go all the way down A Street and as soon as we'd lose sight, we'd see another one," she said.

They spoke to a drone expert with UNL. Here's his take:

University of Nebraska drone journalism professor Matt Waite said it's likely military or oil and gas exploration flying the drones.

"That absolutely screams mapping application," Waite said.

According to Waite, drones are also breaking an FAA law for not having line of sight for these drones.

"If someone is following the rules and doing this, then they had to have applied for an exception for this to that rule," Waite said.

People can fill out waivers to fly drones at night, but, according to Waite, waivers are very rare.

Law enforcement is taking this seriously.

The FBI, FAA and U.S. Air Force and over 70 law enforcement members met in Colorado Monday to form a new task force.

The task force is being described as an investigative body that will work together to get to the bottom of the drones but in the meantime sightings are continuing to be reported.

Sheriff's departments across three states have been flooded with at least 30 reports since mid-December. The task force says they cannot determine the source of the drones or confirm that they are malicious.

The FAA said today: "We have contacted UAF test sites, drone companies, places that have waivers and we have been unable to determine that any of these entitles were the source of these flights."

Its important to note its unclear if any of the drone sightings are even connected.

Law enforcement are also asking people to keep an eye out for a command-like vehicle, something like a closed box trailer with antennas or a suspicious van.

MfKGiXY.jpg

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm going to guess this is some oil and gas company trying out new technologies.

Why not come forward and ease the tension? They wouldn't even really have to say what they were doing other than testing new technology. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:31 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Reminds me of a funny story. Had some family members running around paintballing at night in the middle of nowhere near Kimball. They got too close to a missile site and a chopper comes in, picks them up, takes them to Cheyenne and asks them what they are doing so close to there at night with weapons

Back in the 80's we were headed out on e very early morning to do some duck hunting near Silver Creek. There is/was a SAC relay station in the area. It's fenced off and there are signs all around it. Our spot on the river was very close. Anyway they scrambled two jeeps each with two guys out to see why we were there. Seems like it could've been very tense with us all having shotguns and them with their M16's but they were pretty cool about it. Think they just wanted somebody to know they were there and paying attention.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, commando said:

since no one has come forward and claimed this as something they were legally doing....i will posit that it is being done illegally.  

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They may be hesitant to come forward since they're flying at night, illegally.

I don't see any way that something about this isn't illegal if being done by anyone other than the government.  If it's a covert operation of some sort from the government, (DOD?) that is just as troubling.

There have been tons of sightings in NE Colorado over the past week or two. My MIL claims she saw one in Columbus....but she cray:lol:

I find it highly amazing that all these law enforcement departments and government officials have issued statements asking for help identifying them and saying they'll get answers but nothing yet. Also curious that most all of them are sure to point out how it is illegal to shoot at a drone. If they don't come clean pretty soon I can guarantee some good old boy will drop one.

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

They may be hesitant to come forward since they're flying at night, illegally.

I thought all of the reports say they aren't breaking any laws.

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Back in the 80's we were headed out on e very early morning to do some duck hunting near Silver Creek. There is/was a SAC relay station in the area. It's fenced off and there are signs all around it. Our spot on the river was very close. Anyway they scrambled two jeeps each with two guys out to see why we were there. Seems like it could've been very tense with us all having shotguns and them with their M16's but they were pretty cool about it. Think they just wanted somebody to know they were there and paying attention.

I don't know how real that story I told was but it has been passed around my family for years. They are definitely on guard around those sort of sites 

Just now, JJ Husker said:

There have been tons of sightings in NE Colorado over the past week or two. My MIL claims she saw one in Columbus....but she cray:lol:

I find it highly amazing that all these law enforcement departments and government officials have issued statements asking for help identifying them and saying they'll get answers but nothing yet. Also curious that most all of them are sure to point out how it is illegal to shoot at a drone. If they don't come clean pretty soon I can guarantee some good old boy will drop one.

I've talked about this with several people over the last few days, and inevitably someone says they would shoot it out of the sky. I think we've all had that thought. It would be fun to take one down. I just wouldn't want to pay for the replacement. :D

Two things.

a)  If someone shoots one down, I would think they wouldn't get in trouble unless the owner files a complaint.  Well....OK...come forward and do that.

b)  Why the hell doesn't all these government agencies use a military drone to simply follow them to where they land?  Does that seem too simple?

We can fly drones over foreign countries taking out terrorists, but we can't fly one over Nebraska, follow an unidentified drone to simply figure out where it goes?

• Plus1 1