Drones

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I thought all of the reports say they aren't breaking any laws.

They are violating FAA laws.

Whoever is responsible most likely knows that they are operating these drones illegally.  Based on the grid like flight patterns being displayed it is safe to assume that the drones are autonomously flying along a preset course.  This combined with the hours at which they are being flown is strictly prohibited by the FAA unless exemption has been granted. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I've talked about this with several people over the last few days, and inevitably someone says they would shoot it out of the sky. I think we've all had that thought. It would be fun to take one down. I just wouldn't want to pay for the replacement. :D

And as large as they are, who's to say they aren't capable of shooting back :ohnoes

If it was a private company, we'd already know who/what it was. This has to be government/military activity. jmho

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

b)  Why the hell doesn't all these government agencies use a military drone to simply follow them to where they land?  Does that seem too simple?

My question as well.  Seems like we could follow the little doggies back to their hide out and figure it out.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Which government/military?

I was about to quickly answer "ours" but I'll revise it to the United States. We may have a whole bunch of inept components in our government but the military isn't one of them. I very highly doubt a foreign power could go unchecked with this activity for this long. I could be wrong as I don't know how radar detectable a six foot drone would be.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

b)  Why the hell doesn't all these government agencies use a military drone to simply follow them to where they land?  Does that seem too simple?

40 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My question as well.  Seems like we could follow the little doggies back to their hide out and figure it out.

Exactly. The fact that agency hasn't tried doing just that is confusing at best, alarming at worst.

If we can identify the kid who shone a laser from the ground up at a plane near Boston we should not have an issue identifying who is flying multiple drones, over the course of many nights.   Also, in that somewhat less populated area, imagine how many/many nights they have flown without being seen. 

• Plus1 2

The fact that our government/military hasn’t already informed us who/what is behind these drones pretty much tells us all we need to know...and apparently they don’t want us to know what they’re up to. If it’s super sensitive and highly secretive, I would expect the next move is for them to have one of their military partners offer up some sad sack excuse and take the blame for them.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

This was a plausible explanation when the drones were over eastern Colorado and western Nebraska, but not when they've been spotted so far east.

Colorado drone mystery sightings finally might be solved

That is the most plausible explanation I’ve seen yet. In fact, I would guess that is pretty much it.  I don’t see how spotting them further east damages the veracity of that explanation.