Dem Rose Bowl Sunsets

5 hours ago, lo country said:

That team played incredibly physical (against a very physical team) and with a mean streak.  I was very impressed.  That team looked nothing like a Frost Oregon........They have the "Husker Power" physicality he is seeking......

I think many of you are discounting how physical of a team chip kelly and helfrich had. Sure they had an incredible qb and spread the field with fast skill guys but that offense was 100% built on running the ball down your throat and setup the offense in efficient 2nd 4, 3rd and short situations.

the amount of o linemen and front seven they Placed in the nfl was impressive and they consistently went toe to toe with the best SEC and big 10 teams that were more classic “power football”

the main point was more of a shot at many on this board questioning the direction of this program. We need o line talent and size period, regardless of what style we try and implement.  Both those teams last night showcased this 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

51 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I think many of you are discounting how physical of a team chip kelly and helfrich had. Sure they had an incredible qb and spread the field with fast skill guys but that offense was 100% built on running the ball down your throat and setup the offense in efficient 2nd 4, 3rd and short situations.

the amount of o linemen and front seven they Placed in the nfl was impressive and they consistently went toe to toe with the best SEC and big 10 teams that were more classic “power football”

the main point was more of a shot at many on this board questioning the direction of this program. We need o line talent and size period, regardless of what style we try and implement.  Both those teams last night showcased this 

I can see that.

I agree with the bolded as well.  Physicality (size/talent/strength etc) are needed for any scheme to be successful.  Once toughness returns to NU (with the talent being recruited) we will start to get a more fair assessment of the coaching ability of this staff.   

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

Marcus Mariota was successful in Scott’s offense. Wait, I’m sorry, this is another one of those ignorant “yeah, but” hypothetical conversations where one side complains because they didn’t get their instant gratification, right? My apologies... I’ll stay out of it. 

99% of the internet

15 hours ago, skersfan said:

Herbert group up 6 blocks from the stadium.  He wasn't going anywhere else.

Oregon is nothing like it was under Kelly and Frost.  Most physical team in the Pac 12 is his goal.  

I would be very happy to see Nebraska look like either of them though.  Time will tell if it can happen.   A long ways to go.

Is there a physical team in the Pac 12?  Wisconsin dominated Oregon.  If Wisconsin hangs onto the ball, the game isn't even close.  Then, there is almost playoff bound Utah getting absolutely drilled by Texas, woof.  They looked about as physical as a first game ever junior high team.  As bad as OU looked against LSU, thank goodness a Pac 12 team didn't make the playoff.

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

Is there a physical team in the Pac 12?  Wisconsin dominated Oregon.  If Wisconsin hangs onto the ball, the game isn't even close.  Then, there is almost playoff bound Utah getting absolutely drilled by Texas, woof.  They looked about as physical as a first game ever junior high team.  As bad as OU looked against LSU, thank goodness a Pac 12 team didn't make the playoff.

When Stanford was at the peak of their powers they would just bludgeon teams.  Oh shoot, I think you meant this year.  My bad!  I'll still go with Stanford although they got clobbered by injuries this year so it's hard to tell.

On 1/2/2020 at 1:58 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree with you for the most part, but wasn't Frost a key reason that Justin Herbert ended up at Oregon?  Having that stud QB to build around has helped Cristobal.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/justin-herbert-2846

Herbert's Rivals page lists Frost as the lead recruiter for Oregon.

No.  Herbert was a walk-on who dreamed of playing at Oregon.  In fact, you can see is parent's house from Autzen Stadium.  

5 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

No.  Herbert was a walk-on who dreamed of playing at Oregon.  In fact, you can see is parent's house from Autzen Stadium.  

I don't see anywhere that listed him as a walk-on - he was low rated, but he was on scholarship from day 1. And it's a little hard to say he would've for sure walked on without it.

4 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Not yet, but Oregon is working on it.  Cristobal has been impressive, and has brought a SEC attitude to Oregon.  Obviously they're not there yet, but they are on their way.  

1 minute ago, southernoregonhusker said:

He walked on.  Something talked about here in Oregon.  

Why keep it a secret then?

Oregonian:

"The past couple of weeks I've been talking to Coach Frost and (Thursday) he wanted me to call Coach Helfrich. Coach Helfrich filled me in with a scholarship."

Oregon Student Paper

Herbert said in an interview with the Oregonian that he had been in communication with then offensive coordinator Scott Frost. Frost told Herbert to call Helfrich, who offered Herbert a scholarship.

Rivals and 247 both showed offers. Not trying to be a jerk, just seems like if he walked on they wouldn't be quoted talking about scholarships. Did he grayshirt or something?