For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

Sips doesn't spare any punches with this article.  And hard to refute if you watched any bowl games this year.  I am still waiting for the "Oregon speed to meet Husker Power".....Cristobol sure found it......Next season is going to be rough. In all honesty, watching those bowl games, NU (from this seasons performance) we looked like a lower tier team.....A lot of room to improve for sure.  Frost and Co have their work cut out.  Hoping this recruit class and the RS guys bring some much needed physicality to the 2020 season.

If Husker football fans settled in New Year's Day to watch Minnesota play Auburn in the Outback Bowl, they saw the Gophers run right at the Tigers' vaunted defensive line. P.J. Fleck's crew rushed for 215 yards and held the SEC power to 56 rushing yards in prevailing 31-24.

But my lasting memory of the 2020 Rose Bowl will be the unyielding physicality with which both teams played. It was a street brawl.

Frost has an extremely difficult task in front of him as he tries to push the program toward national relevancy, or even a winning season.

NU third-year head coach Scott Frost must continue to emphasize improvement in overall physicality, as in every single day and at every position.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-if-nu-fans-feel-more-unsettled-after/article_7c7f5554-a0ee-5a4d-b8cb-45480e9cdc13.amp.html

It doesn’t matter how we recruit or develop physically because...

Sideways offense and bend but don’t break defense doesn’t scream physicality.

In fact it screams the opposite to our opponents.  

Old school Oregon will never survive in the B10.  What Oregon is doing under Chritobol will compete in any league.  That’s what I hoped we would look like under Frost, but we don’t.

Perhaps we should scrap the Oregon speed thing and just become husker power again.  Remember the days when we could run on third and short and consistently pick up first downs.  

Did Frost watch any wildcard games?  They all use the fullback and the I formation.  They get physical with play calling.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, SFW said:

Old school Oregon will never survive in the B10.  What Oregon is doing under Chritobol will compete in any league.  That’s what I hoped we would look like under Frost, but we don’t.

Perhaps we should scrap the Oregon speed thing and just become husker power again.  Remember the days when we could run on third and short and consistently pick up first downs.  

Did Frost watch any wildcard games?  They all use the fullback and the I formation.  They get physical with play calling.

Just mirror the Buffalo Bills, you will be in every game.  Ruthless aggressive D, run first offense, crazy uncontrollable QB that simultaneously is your best and worse chance to win.  And physical in all aspects of the game.

1 hour ago, SFW said:

This is where I am at.  Was really watching that Memphis game to see how their established system would do against a "traditional" B1G team in Penn St......I am hoping that Frost and Co do some soul searching on what they really think will be successful at NU.....I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse.....

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Seriously?  Looking at his 4 year track record, that season is the outlier.....Because we are paying him 5 million a year.  Because he is OUR head coach......

The fact that he is our coach and his paycheck are very much irrelevant to anything.  

If you wanna cast that year and that bowl win as a fluke then I guess you are entitled to that opinion. I just think you are wrong. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Why does it matter where he has done it? He proved he can do it. 

One good season as a head coach, that’s it.  In that year he had a soft schedule and some major luck.  That luck covered up his poor clock management, poor play calling, and terrible defensive coordinator.  Which we all now see clearly.

No more super week schedules and the luck has run out.  Time to figure out how to coach in the B10, or all his good recruiting and program building won’t matter.

3 losing seasons in 4 years as a head coach. Ouch!  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

This is where I am at.  Was really watching that Memphis game to see how their established system would do against a "traditional" B1G team in Penn St......I am hoping that Frost and Co do some soul searching on what they really think will be successful at NU.....I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse.....

I agree with you.  It’s almost as though Frost has forgotten his days playing for Nebraska.  

Our best drive against OSU maybe all season was out of the I formation.  Power physical football.  And we never saw it again the rest of the season.  A real head scratcher.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
9 minutes ago, SFW said:

I agree with you.  It’s almost as though Frost has forgotten his days playing for Nebraska.  

Our best drive against OSU maybe all season was out of the I formation.  Power physical football.  And we never saw it again the rest of the season.  A real head scratcher.

I mean OSU was able to adjust to the I-formation  after the first series. The offensive line really settled in towards the latter half of the season, as did Mills. We saw some power out of the spread. We then saw us abandon that in favor of 1,000,000 bubble screens vs. Iowa.

Time shall tell, but I think this offense works when we can consistently run the ball and have WRs worth a damn. We were too inconsistent up front early on, Mills was a different player the second half of the year, and we simply didn't have enough skill players. 

Ideally the offense will look like what we had to end the 2018 season. A consistent run game to compliment WRs who can beat you in space.

• Plus1 6