For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

37 minutes ago, theknife said:

I mean OSU was able to adjust to the I-formation  after the first series. The offensive line really settled in towards the latter half of the season, as did Mills. We saw some power out of the spread. We then saw us abandon that in favor of 1,000,000 bubble screens vs. Iowa.

Time shall tell, but I think this offense works when we can consistently run the ball and have WRs worth a damn. We were too inconsistent up front early on, Mills was a different player the second half of the year, and we simply didn't have enough skill players. 

Ideally the offense will look like what we had to end the 2018 season. A consistent run game to compliment WRs who can beat you in space.

2AM 1.0, Oz, Stan, Farmer and Foster made the O go.  Maybe we lacked a lot more than admitted or known, but that O looked much better.  Maybe evena  simplified "safer" scheme.....Less thinking, more doing.  I'd just like an O that is more capable of producing if we lose a player or 2.....I'd also like a D that scares people. not one so simplistic that opposing coaches and players know what we will do....

Regardless of scheme, our identity needs to be redefined as the most physical team in the B1G.  Big and tough beats smaller and tough or smaller with finesse.....Big, tough and quick (finesse) wins NC's.....

1 hour ago, theknife said:

Ideally the offense will look like what we had to end the 2018 season. A consistent run game to compliment WRs who can beat you in space.

Ideally, we stop trying to be “cute” and trick the other team and learn to establish our will on the other team.  That, is play calling and coaching.  Up to this point, I have not been impressed with either as they fail to realize they are playing B1G competition and need to step the game up.

People all up in arms about the schedule or how it cycles makes me lol to myself and know they are Kool Aid drinkers.  I mean, did the Huskers of old care or did they just go and do their thing and told the other team to try and stop them?  That is how lost we are currently.  When the other team knows exactly what we will do and easily schemes against it tells you just how green/poor our staff is.

2 hours ago, SFW said:

I agree with you.  It’s almost as though Frost has forgotten his days playing for Nebraska.  

Our best drive against OSU maybe all season was out of the I formation.  Power physical football.  And we never saw it again the rest of the season.  A real head scratcher.

The stuff that initially worked against OSU was because it was something they did not prepare for, once they got a look at it, it was done...it bordered more on gimmicky than a sound gameplan

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, theknife said:

I mean OSU was able to adjust to the I-formation  after the first series. The offensive line really settled in towards the latter half of the season, as did Mills. We saw some power out of the spread. We then saw us abandon that in favor of 1,000,000 bubble screens vs. Iowa.

Time shall tell, but I think this offense works when we can consistently run the ball and have WRs worth a damn. We were too inconsistent up front early on, Mills was a different player the second half of the year, and we simply didn't have enough skill players. 

Yup

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Minnesota didn't look that great last year when we beat them by 30. Sometimes it takes time and players 

This.  People, including myself until this month, dont realize the lack of players we had.  Our Junior and Senior class are very lacking.  I'm not saying Frost coached well, but even Urban Meyer would have struggled with our team.  The whole assumption that we had more talent than the rest of the WEST is wrong.  I thought we did too, until i looked in depth at our roster.  However, our upcoming freshman and sophmore classes do have more talent than the rest of the WEST, plus fit our scheme better.  

I agree to some degree with most of everything thats been posted in this thread.  Frost didnt play call very well, or gameplan very well.  He had a bad year coaching.  But the idea that last year's play is indicative of our future is off. Our talent will still be very young next season, but I'll go on record and say we will finish in the top 20 in 21'.  

• Plus1 3
3 hours ago, SFW said:

One good season as a head coach, that’s it.  In that year he had a soft schedule and some major luck.  That luck covered up his poor clock management, poor play calling, and terrible defensive coordinator.  Which we all now see clearly.

No more super week schedules and the luck has run out.  Time to figure out how to coach in the B10, or all his good recruiting and program building won’t matter.

3 losing seasons in 4 years as a head coach. Ouch!  

Geez, looks like you are ready for a new coach already.  So, who is your next head coach sir?

Not many fans are happy with the results so far ... yet, I'm not willing to roast our coach just yet.  

So, be honest ... what was your prediction this year?  Mine was 7-5.  For next year, I'm hopeful for 6-6 but won't be surprised with 5-7.  What do you think our record is gonna be next year?  When are you firing Frost next year?

• Plus1 3

30 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Geez, looks like you are ready for a new coach already.  So, who is your next head coach sir?

Not many fans are happy with the results so far ... yet, I'm not willing to roast our coach just yet.  

So, be honest ... what was your prediction this year?  Mine was 7-5.  For next year, I'm hopeful for 6-6 but won't be surprised with 5-7.  What do you think our record is gonna be next year?  When are you firing Frost next year?

The good news about next year is we play are toughest games late in the year.  So our young guys could be decent by then.  Plus all this negative momentum could be broken and we could be 5-1 or 6-1 to start the year helping our recruiting momentum, and giving our guys confidence.  The optimist in me sees this coming year like Minnesota was this year.  We are still a year away, but things could potentially fall into place for us, so im not going to count this season as a total building year.  Minnesota was young but they managed to squeak by their first half of the year, build momentum, and really improve enough to beat some of the tough teams they played late.  I see us as a year behind Minnesota, and if we coach well and get some breaks, this year could go like Minnesota's did last year.  Dont forget Minnesota was not supposed to be this good, if Frost is the coach that Fleck is we have a chance.  

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

The good news about next year is we play are toughest games late in the year.  So our young guys could be decent by then.  Plus all this negative momentum could be broken and we could be 5-1 or 6-1 to start the year helping our recruiting momentum, and giving our guys confidence.  The optimist in me sees this coming year like Minnesota was this year.  We are still a year away, but things could potentially fall into place for us, so im not going to count this season as a total building year.  Minnesota was young but they managed to squeak by their first half of the year, build momentum, and really improve enough to beat some of the tough teams they played late.  I see us as a year behind Minnesota, and if we coach well and get some breaks, this year could go like Minnesota's did last year.  Dont forget Minnesota was not supposed to be this good, if Frost is the coach that Fleck is we have a chance.  

As I read these posts, the next round of Kool Aid has been bought and served!   

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I predicted 8-4 it was there for the taking, but coaching blunders against; Colorado, Purdue, and Indiana cost us. Add in terrible QB play making.

Next year is all about the Purdue game it’s make or break much like Colorado was.  We must start 6-1 before going to Columbus or no Bowl.  I don’t see that happening.  The ceiling is 7-5 but I think your right 5-7 is most likely.  If we start off with a loss to Purdue it could be a really ugly year. 

I’d give Frost one more bad year/ losing season, next year.  If he can’t get a winning record in year 4, 2021 time to move on.  We will know his undefeated season was a fluke.  

If we have another losing season I hope he makes some big staff changes.  He needs help.

• Fire 1