For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

8 hours ago, lo country said:

This is where I am at.  Was really watching that Memphis game to see how their established system would do against a "traditional" B1G team in Penn St......I am hoping that Frost and Co do some soul searching on what they really think will be successful at NU.....I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse.....

This is one of the dumbest comments in this thread, and there’s a lot of them. Memphis scored 39 points on PSU, which is the most they gave up the entire season. Look at the season highs given up by PSU against Memphis in that game:

As Chris said above- difference in the game was TEN Memphis trips inside the PSU 35 resulting in 3 TD’s. If scoring 39 points with 542 yards of offense on a top 10 D requires “soul searching” then I don’t know what to tell you.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Minnesota didn't take much time. And made a pretty big leap with many of the same players. 

If we make a big leap it will probably be with the same players too...maybe Minnesotas talent were all young and they vastly improved after a year or 2 in college.

8 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Ideally, we stop trying to be “cute” and trick the other team and learn to establish our will on the other team.  That, is play calling and coaching.  Up to this point, I have not been impressed with either as they fail to realize they are playing B1G competition and need to step the game up.

People all up in arms about the schedule or how it cycles makes me lol to myself and know they are Kool Aid drinkers.  I mean, did the Huskers of old care or did they just go and do their thing and told the other team to try and stop them?  That is how lost we are currently.  When the other team knows exactly what we will do and easily schemes against it tells you just how green/poor our staff is.

Not making excuses for the season our most explosive player was kicked off the team and we lost 3 games by 7 or less.We had no depth at running back and had to use Wan’dale to carry the ball more than we want to. This year if we don’t see a big jump under Frost then it probably won’t happen . 

7 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

This is one of the dumbest comments in this thread, and there’s a lot of them. Memphis scored 39 points on PSU, which is the most they gave up the entire season. Look at the season highs given up by PSU against Memphis in that game:

As Chris said above- difference in the game was TEN Memphis trips inside the PSU 35 resulting in 3 TD’s. If scoring 39 points with 542 yards of offense on a top 10 D requires “soul searching” then I don’t know what to tell you.

And who won again?????????????????  That would be Penn St.....  Who cares what Memphis "did".  Their high powered O, while moving the ball failed to win against a traditional B1G power........That was my point.  Trying to argue what the losing team did is probably "one of the dumbest posts in this thread".....

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, SFW said:

THIS!

"I don't care where you are, if you can run the football and keep the ball away from somebody else, it's a big deal," Osborne said.

Hello.....Frost it’s Tom on line 1.  Wake up!

Was gonna post this as well.  Here is the complete quote:  Recent article from Sip with an interview of TO.....

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-osborne-praises-frost-s-even-keel-saluting/article_4663f0e8-67e6-594f-84ef-caab592922db.amp.html

* I asked Osborne about Brady's situation and something predictable happened. 

Tom immediately switched the conversation to Tennessee running back Derrick Henry, the NFL's leading rusher this season. The 6-foot-3, 238-pound athlete rushed 34 times for 182 yards against the Patriots in a gorgeous and memorable display of power running. 

"I don't care where you are, if you can run the football and keep the ball away from somebody else, it's a big deal," Osborne said. "He's a great player. It's unusual to have a guy that size with that kind of speed.

"He was kind of wading through guys like they weren't there."

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

And who won again?????????????????  That would be Penn St.....  Who cares what Memphis "did".  Their high powered O, while moving the ball failed to win against a traditional B1G power........That was my point.  Trying to argue what the losing team did is probably "one of the dumbest posts in this thread".....

They lost because of their offense?

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

They lost because of their offense?

The point being how would a high octane O do against a traditional B1G defense.  They lost.  Penn St is a physical bruising team.  That's my point.  How did an established offense similar to Frost's do against a traditional B1G.  They lost.  The offense did not score more than Penn St.  So if Frost is betting on scoring one more point than the other guy, I am in the camp that thinks that is not a great strategy for the B1G......

I am not a fan of a finesse O.  I am not a fan of one predicated on needing chunk plays to win.  Are they great?  Absolutely, but if you don't get them it is very hard to win when your O is not built with the ability to get tough yards.  MAYBE with the recruitment of better guys the O really shines.  Much like it did in 2018....That is my hope.  

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, lo country said:

The point being how would a high octane O do against a traditional B1G defense.  They lost.  Penn St is a physical bruising team.  That's my point.

And your point completely ignores the other phases of the game. They scored 39 points. Way more than the average PSUs defense has given up all year. Maybe you need to look at their defense. 

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, lo country said:

The point being how would a high octane O do against a traditional B1G defense.  They lost.  Penn St is a physical bruising team.  That's my point.  How did an established offense similar to Frost's do against a traditional B1G.  They lost.  The offense did not score more than Penn St.  So if Frost is betting on scoring one more point than the other guy, I am in the camp that thinks that is not a great strategy for the B1G......

I am not a fan of a finesse O.  I am not a fan of one predicated on needing chunk plays to win.  Are they great?  Absolutely, but if you don't get them it is very hard to win when your O is not built with the ability to get tough yards.  MAYBE with the recruitment of better guys the O really shines.  Much like it did in 2018....That is my hope.  

Something to add, maybe the reason Memphis racked up yards but only scored 3 TDS in 10 red zone attempts is because they were not physical enough to finish the job. Everyone knows the cute stuff works from the 20 to the 20. But then the field shrinks and the space game is less and you need to be physical. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

From many top coaches - - comes the truism you need both speed, finesse (plays) and strength.   Coach Frost has said that many times,  and he felt NU needed to size and bulk up.   If we only rely on the power game in todays football, the opponent will adjust accordingly.  Ditto the above for TO . . . and he started to recruit to get those attributes.