For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

THE TALENT ON THIS FOOTBALL TEAM OUTSIDE OF A FEW GUYS HAVE ALL BEEN UNDERCLASSMEN

/thread 

This x 10.  Our jimmies and joes are freshman and sophmores.  Its gonna take maybe 1 more year of patience.  But ill be on here when we are top 20 in 21'.

Edit: the only way we mess this up is if we fire Frost.  If we give him even just 2 more years we will see the fruit.  Hopefully next year, but it probably wont be until 21'.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

The entire point of your post was that Frost and his staff need to “do soul searching” about the scheme they’re running on O. But let’s move the goalposts when you’re presented with facts that poke holes in your silly point. 

So your "facts" were that Memphis put up a lot of yards.....THEY LOST.  I could care less about how many yards we put up if we lose.....IIRC, when we lost to Wisky in 2018 we were the only school besides OSU to put up that many yards.  And we lost.

To the soul searching, Frost and his scheme is now 9-15 in 2 seasons.  That's a fact.  To my post that included "soul searching it also included "I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse".. He does need to examine every facet of what he and the staff are doing.  Poor play calling, time mismanagement, etc....are all on the staff.  A great staff continually evaluates what they are doing.....Remember when TO switched base D.  Started to recruit speed?  Soul searching (or whatever you want to call it) to change what wasn't working and becoming great. You don't think Saban and Dabo don't do "soul searching" every season.  Dabo went from a dual threat QB to Trevor Lawrence.  Went away from Bryant "as Trevor gave us the best chance to win".....That was after Bryant led Clemson to the NC game.  That's soul searching.......Saban benching Hurts for Tua was a soul searching half time moment......

"We do what we think we can do to win with our personnel and weather we have.  Philosophically, all we're doing is looking at what it takes to win"-Tom Osborne

We all want the same thing.  For FROST and NU to succeed.  

• Haha 2

We had a good recruiting year. I think our offense has been able to be physical but needs the right linemen to be consistent. This years receiver recruits will hopefully be more of a threat to succeed at the kind of multiple threat passing game Frost wants to run.... and backing the D into pass pro, open up the running game.

We got some big recruits at LB but I just have my doubts that the 3/4 will ever be worth a damn... just not enough consistent pressure on their backfield.

We need to be patient and stop beating up our own team. It’s not so bad on this board but living in Lincoln you can feel the cumulative effect of ten thousand fans harping at a rebuilding team every time the wind blows. The recruiting this year was great, let’s give them a chance to do something with it.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, lo country said:

So your "facts" were that Memphis put up a lot of yards.....THEY LOST.  I could care less about how many yards we put up if we lose.....IIRC, when we lost to Wisky in 2018 we were the only school besides OSU to put up that many yards.  And we lost.

To the soul searching, Frost and his scheme is now 9-15 in 2 seasons.  That's a fact.  To my post that included "soul searching it also included "I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse".. He does need to examine every facet of what he and the staff are doing.  Poor play calling, time mismanagement, etc....are all on the staff.  A great staff continually evaluates what they are doing.....Remember when TO switched base D.  Started to recruit speed?  Soul searching (or whatever you want to call it) to change what wasn't working and becoming great. You don't think Saban and Dabo don't do "soul searching" every season.  Dabo went from a dual threat QB to Trevor Lawrence.  Went away from Bryant "as Trevor gave us the best chance to win".....That was after Bryant led Clemson to the NC game.  That's soul searching.......Saban benching Hurts for Tua was a soul searching half time moment......

"We do what we think we can do to win with our personnel and weather we have.  Philosophically, all we're doing is looking at what it takes to win"-Tom Osborne

We all want the same thing.  For FROST and NU to succeed.  

In the instances you cited, the "soul searching" was bringing in a better player.

Seems Frost is doing a lot of "soul searching"........

31 minutes ago, TheSker said:

In the instances you cited, the "soul searching" was bringing in a better player.

I don’t disagree at all. Perhaps soul searching is too broad a term that encompasses a philosophical examination.......But it is an examination on what to improve.  How to improve. Where to improve etc....It’s a desire and drive to do what it takes to get better.....

TO going to a 4-3, Dabo firing Kevin Steele etc were all done to improve a teams chance to win. Call it what you want, but I think Frost is “X ing” this off season to get to winning.  This includes recruitment, letting a staff member move on, hiring a replacement, examining coaching duties, looking at play calling etc.....

35 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Bringing in better players will help, but it automatically does not equate directly to wins......Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan should be examples of this.  Developing players, playing to your team’s strengths, learning to coach and adjust in games..just as important.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Bringing in better players will help, but it automatically does not equate directly to wins......Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan should be examples of this.  Developing players, playing to your team’s strengths, learning to coach and adjust in games..just as important.

Of course.  The one thing we should all agree on is we need to keep this staff around as long as we can.  Constant change in staff is what got us into this mess.  Constant continuity in staff is what will get us out.  (Wether thats getting back to 9-3 seasons or Conference Championships depends on how good our staff is)  but either way, we need to keep these guys around at least 3 more years.  

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if Frost and staff ever sit around and think about how they could improve. 

I doubt it....i picture them sitting around talking about how hot their wives are and asking each other for tips in the bed....then after things cool down moving on to politics.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Too cute is not even getting close to getting into the end zone on 1st and goal from the 1 yard line......but that never happened right?  Or 1st and goal and a pick 6 goes the other way, that can’t be too cute either as I’m sure Scotty never had either happen.

So that never happens to teams if they line up in the I formation with three tight ends?

Automatic touchdown, right?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 7

Chip Kelly might have used speed and finesse, but he doesn't get enough credit for being downright ballsy. 

During Kelly's heyday at Oregon, I watched him play a fairly decent Cal team. I was barely in my seat when Cal had stopped Oregon in the first possession of the game and it was 4th and 3 from the Oregon 35. The Cal team prepares for the the punt, but Oregon lines up like it was just another play. They run a little flair pass, get the first down. March down the field. Score a touchdown. Go for a 2 point conversion. And get it.  Oregon leads 8 - 0 in its first possession of the game.

If you are afraid of second-guessers, you would never go for it on 4th and 3 in your own territory on the first possession of the game. There's no sane reason to go for a two-point conversion on the game's first touchdown -- other than the belief that you can get it.

I was obliged to root for Cal, but that was a ballsy brand of football Oregon played, and I would have loved to be an Oregon fan. 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

No sh**

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Chip Kelly might have used speed and finesse, but he doesn't get enough credit for being downright ballsy. 

During Kelly's heyday at Oregon, I watched him play a fairly decent Cal team. I was barely in my seat when Cal had stopped Oregon in the first possession of the game and it was 4th and 3 from the Oregon 35. The Cal team prepares for the the punt, but Oregon lines up like it was just another play. They run a little flair pass, get the first down. March down the field. Score a touchdown. Go for a 2 point conversion. And get it.  Oregon leads 8 - 0 in its first possession of the game.

If you are afraid of second-guessers, you would never go for it on 4th and 3 in your own territory on the first possession of the game. There's no sane reason to go for a two-point conversion on the game's first touchdown -- other than the belief that you can get it.

I was obliged to root for Cal, but that was a ballsy brand of football Oregon played, and I would have loved to be an Oregon fan. 

I’ve always felt a team with a much better than average offense ought to go for two almost routinely.   You only need to get just above 50% of your 2 pt tries to be better off and most good offenses average way above 3 yards per play.   No doubt you don’t go for 2 when 1 assures a winning margin but it is not as much a no brainer to just kick the pat 90% plus of the time.  
The two point try success rate is often cited as well below 50% but this is distorted somewhat by the fact that most of the times it’s done in a do or die circumstances etc.  And making a few can give score separation between teams with otherwise equal possessions etc.  

• Haha 1