For all the kool-aid drinkers, Sip serves up something else

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Comments about the demise of the Chiefs offense aged well today. 7 straight drives for TD’s and 8 straight scoring drives overall. But I guess it was all just due to one blown coverage. 

I’m afraid the Titans have the kind offense that can beat my Chiefs.  

They can play keep away from PM.  Keep him sitting.  Grind clock and wear down KCs Defense.

The problem for theTexans was they couldn’t sustain any long drives and that put their Defense in a pickle.

On 1/5/2020 at 1:37 PM, lo country said:

This is where I am at.  Was really watching that Memphis game to see how their established system would do against a "traditional" B1G team in Penn St......I am hoping that Frost and Co do some soul searching on what they really think will be successful at NU.....I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse.....

A lot to unpack here:

1) Our scheme has worked at all levels of football and in 3 regions of the country. Were you saying this at the end of 2018?

2) "Power" is how you block a play. Its not how you line up. With the mixture gap and duo schemes to go along with our bread and butter outside and inside zone plays there's plenty of "power" here. 

On 1/11/2020 at 10:54 PM, SFW said:

Most coaches know you need to have some sort of power run game to be successful.

Most coaches are aware of what "power" actually is 

• Plus1 5
On 1/5/2020 at 4:30 PM, 10_point_buck said:

Ideally, we stop trying to be “cute” and trick the other team and learn to establish our will on the other team.  That, is play calling and coaching.  Up to this point, I have not been impressed with either as they fail to realize they are playing B1G competition and need to step the game up.

People all up in arms about the schedule or how it cycles makes me lol to myself and know they are Kool Aid drinkers.  I mean, did the Huskers of old care or did they just go and do their thing and told the other team to try and stop them?  That is how lost we are currently.  When the other team knows exactly what we will do and easily schemes against it tells you just how green/poor our staff is.

If you watched the Wisconsin game and truly know what you're looking at, our offense did whatever we so chose to Jim Leonard's defense. He had no clue what to call and was guessing the full game.

When guys like Omar Manning and Zavier Betts gets here you'll see how much of a difference having the threat of a vertical passing game will help. 

Funny thing is with clearly inferior talent we put the best rushing performance of the year on a top 5 rushing defense and that included a team that should probably be playing tonight. 

Maybe the scheme does work? 

• Plus1 7
On 1/6/2020 at 6:08 AM, lo country said:

The point being how would a high octane O do against a traditional B1G defense.  They lost.  Penn St is a physical bruising team.  That's my point.  How did an established offense similar to Frost's do against a traditional B1G.  They lost.  The offense did not score more than Penn St.  So if Frost is betting on scoring one more point than the other guy, I am in the camp that thinks that is not a great strategy for the B1G......

I am not a fan of a finesse O.  I am not a fan of one predicated on needing chunk plays to win.  Are they great?  Absolutely, but if you don't get them it is very hard to win when your O is not built with the ability to get tough yards.  MAYBE with the recruitment of better guys the O really shines.  Much like it did in 2018....That is my hope.  

What makes our offense "finesse" and someone else's "power?" I'll hang up and listen. 

• Plus1 3

On 1/6/2020 at 8:50 PM, 10_point_buck said:

Bringing in better players will help, but it automatically does not equate directly to wins......Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan should be examples of this.  Developing players, playing to your team’s strengths, learning to coach and adjust in games..just as important.

There were quite a few offensive adjustments made this year. Pick a game and I'll help.

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, SFW said:

I’m afraid the Titans have the kind offense that can beat my Chiefs.  

They can play keep away from PM.  Keep him sitting.  Grind clock and wear down KCs Defense.

The problem for theTexans was they couldn’t sustain any long drives and that put their Defense in a pickle.

Lol yea right. Titans can try keeping the ball out of Mahomes hands but unless Tannahill gets much better at football over the next week Chiefs are gonna cruise to the SB 

• Plus1 1
On 1/6/2020 at 7:34 PM, lo country said:

So your "facts" were that Memphis put up a lot of yards.....THEY LOST.  I could care less about how many yards we put up if we lose.....IIRC, when we lost to Wisky in 2018 we were the only school besides OSU to put up that many yards.  And we lost.

To the soul searching, Frost and his scheme is now 9-15 in 2 seasons.  That's a fact.  To my post that included "soul searching it also included "I am still not sold on our scheme.  Now if we played it with extreme physicality, it might look like a different team.  Power IMHO, always beats finesse".. He does need to examine every facet of what he and the staff are doing.  Poor play calling, time mismanagement, etc....are all on the staff.  A great staff continually evaluates what they are doing.....Remember when TO switched base D.  Started to recruit speed?  Soul searching (or whatever you want to call it) to change what wasn't working and becoming great. You don't think Saban and Dabo don't do "soul searching" every season.  Dabo went from a dual threat QB to Trevor Lawrence.  Went away from Bryant "as Trevor gave us the best chance to win".....That was after Bryant led Clemson to the NC game.  That's soul searching.......Saban benching Hurts for Tua was a soul searching half time moment......

"We do what we think we can do to win with our personnel and weather we have.  Philosophically, all we're doing is looking at what it takes to win"-Tom Osborne

We all want the same thing.  For FROST and NU to succeed.  

You keep using buzz words like "power" and "finesse." I'm anxiously awaiting your definition of both and how they're different and how they can be recognized on the field. 

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, EZ-E said:

You keep using buzz words like "power" and "finesse." I'm anxiously awaiting your definition of both and how they're different and how they can be recognized on the field. 

I formation is power, bubble screens are finesse. If we can't run the ball very well it's because we are finessing it. All pass plays are inherently finesse. We need a fullback from Nebraska on the field every play if we want true power football.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I formation is power, bubble screens are finesse. If we can't run the ball very well it's because we are finessing it. All pass plays are inherently finesse. We need a fullback from Nebraska on the field every play if we want true power football.

Football has evolved. Christ, even Bama has adopted some spread concepts in their offense. You can run power out of shotgun. We saw what that can look like at times with Ozigbo and at times with Mills this year. 

1 minute ago, theknife said:

Football has evolved. Christ, even Bama has adopted some spread concepts in their offense. You can run power out of shotgun. We saw what that can look like at times with Ozigbo and at times with Mills this year. 

Sorry, didn't lay the sarcasm on thick enough

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Lol yea right. Titans can try keeping the ball out of Mahomes hands but unless Tannahill gets much better at football over the next week Chiefs are gonna cruise to the SB 

Sounds like what I thought until they played my Ravens. Also we thought Chiefs were the team to beat last year. I'll believe it when I see it.

1 minute ago, hskrfan4life said:

Sounds like what I thought until they played my Ravens. Also we thought Chiefs were the team to beat last year. I'll believe it when I see it.

If they get outgained by 200+ yards again they will lose. It takes a special set of circumstances to win a game like that. Mahomes is a different animal than Lamar. I'll believe the Titans can make the super bowl with subpar quarterbacking when I see it.